[PanoToolsNG] Re: Difficult lighting challenge

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25, 2009
      Sometime around 23/4/09 (at 21:04 +0000) robert_harshman said:

      >Why do you need to light it? It says it's open until Nov 3rd to the public

      That was *last* November 3rd! It has been boarded up since then, and
      an engineer had to remove boards covering the entrance to the next
      flat (the entrance is via a hole cut between the two flats) before we
      could get in. :-)

      There's no power, and *all* windows and doors are completely sealed.
      As a result it is pitch-black inside, absolutely dark - a 30 second
      exposure reveals *nothing*. The jagged crystals mean the walls are
      somewhat hazardous, but it is all weirdly gorgeous when you shine a
      light around.

      I took a colleague from college, someone who's also a professional
      photographer. He brought reflectors, stands and portable flash units
      with battery packs. We were there from around 11am, and all the
      experimenting with lighting meant that we didn't finish shooting the
      first pano until about 2pm. We got some singles and one more pano
      shot by 3:30pm, when we had to leave.

      Light behaviour is rather strange; there's virtually no reflection to
      speak of, not anything that can be used to provide indirect lighting.
      The crystals light up an amazing blue but they seem to absorb almost
      all the light you give - I've never seen an environment like it.

      The flats will be demolished in the end, and that visit we made may
      be its last. It was quite an experience and a privilege being able to
      spend that time in there. I'm not sure how the stitching is going to
      go though!

      A photo I twittered yesterday: http://twitpic.com/3x2aq