Re: [PanoToolsNG] Best body for the Nikkor 10.5 Fisheye

  • scott pruett
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 28, 2006
      Peter -

      Any body w/ the 10.5 on it will produce sharp panos - the size of the
      sensor doesn't affect this. Resolution is really only going to matter
      if you intend to bring your images into print, and even then, most
      current camera offerings will do wonderfully unless you're printing
      really huge.

      Why I say this... most web-only full-screen panos will be in the
      4000-6000 pixel width range. The 6mp cameras will output roughly a
      8000x4000 equirectangular image w/ the 10.5 aboard - read: 8000px wide.
      Obviously going up to 8-10-12+ megapixels will increase this
      exponentially, but it *really* is dependent on what you intend to do as
      to whether you need it or not.

      The advantage of using the 10.5 on a FF body is that you can shoot
      freehand easily b/c only 3-4 frames are needed for a full 360x180.
      You're not going to get tremendous resolution out of this combination,
      but it will be sharp.

      So... what do you intend to do? :)

      If you're looking for web / on-screen only, I'd buy a lower-end body,
      the 10.5, and a 360P head. Coupled with solid post-processing skills,
      I think you'd be dumbfounded at what a sub-$1k camera can do. We have
      a D70 & it works beautifully, despite the fact that it is technically
      antiquated in the digital camera world nowadays. I'd look at a D50 or
      D80 if I were in your shoes.

      HTH,
      scott

      On Thursday, September 28, 2006, at 10:12 am, Peter Krone wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I know that some of you use the Nikkor 10.5mm on a Canon 5D. I
      > understand, that this is the only way to use this fabolous lens on a
      > fullframe camera.
      >
      > But if it you are willing to shoot 6+1, you still get a fullsphere
      > with a crop-camera. Isn't there a body with nikon-mount that can
      > produce sharp panos?
      >
      > What are good combos?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Peter

    • Philippe Laval
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 28, 2006
        Dali

        You may look at the bottom of this page : http://360precision.com/
        360/360.cfm

        You can found 5 panoramas taken with D200 + 10.5 mm
        You can also download the pictures before the stiching to look at
        them and the final QT movie.
        It is a good information about the result you can get (my panoramas
        were compressed with jpeg heavely to decrease the whole size of the
        QT VR movie)

        > Two more things I'm dying to know now:
        >
        > 1. What is the exakt process you go through when stitching nadir,
        > Philippe? You stitch the 3 downshots, how? What do you do, accurately,
        > step-by-step? And how do you, then, get it to fit with the rest of
        > the pano? PTGui? Which technique are you using?

        You may want to take the time to download the movie showing the whole
        process I am using.
        Well I am not a "pro" like this guy ;-) It take me more time :-(

        http://fromparis.com/html/
        technical_us_create_a_quicktime_vr_in_10mnts.php

        If you have still questions on editing the nadir, let me know.

        > 2. Also, what about the noise levels on D200? Canon cameras, in the

        For the noise level, I am usually using 100 ISO. With the f2.8 10.5
        mm it is possible with ease.
        I have good results also at 400 ISO but noise is increasing.
        Only take raw pictures, use Nikon Capture or a better raw extractor
        to get TIFF files.
        You may use D-Lighting to decrease the contrast (it is currently what
        I do but i have to try HDR also when possible (no movment on the
        picture)).

        This panorama was taken at 400 ISO :

        http://philippe.laval.free.fr/Tourrettes_Sur_Loup/index.php?
        panorama=Tourrettes14_3000&format=Quicktime

        Hope this will help you.
        Regards
        Philippe,_._,___

      • dalileis
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 28, 2006
          Personal favorite from the collection you linked us to:

          http://tinyurl.com/o69kk

          Really, really nice atmosphere you "painted" there! And the quallity
          of the combo speaks for itself, too.

          This one is fine, aswell, but you do know that there are some quite
          obvious stitching errors in it, right? ;) The white line etc...

          http://tinyurl.com/mhj7e

          Cheers!
        • dalileis
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 28, 2006
            > You may look at the bottom of this page : http://360precision.com/
            > 360/360.cfm
            >
            > You can found 5 panoramas taken with D200 + 10.5 mm
            > You can also download the pictures before the stiching to look at
            > them and the final QT movie.

            Nice! Will do!

            > http://fromparis.com/html/
            > technical_us_create_a_quicktime_vr_in_10mnts.php

            Was suspecting you are using this, but now I know for certain. =)

            > For the noise level, I am usually using 100 ISO. With the f2.8 10.5
            > mm it is possible with ease.
            > I have good results also at 400 ISO but noise is increasing.

            > Hope this will help you.
            > Regards
            > Philippe,_._,___

            It did help, thanks again and looking forward to seeing more of your
            splendid panos! BTW: Cannes reminds me a whole lot of the city I am
            currently in, Split, Croatia. It's like I'm lookin at the "riva"
            (that's what they call the seashore here). Same colors, moods and the
            overall ambiance. Even the squashed old streets with lovely
            restaurants, caffes and so on definitely ring a bell. Haven't done
            much shooting myself in Split, but am planning on it, and then you'll
            see for yourself. =)

            À la vôtre!

            /Dali
          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 28, 2006
              On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:12:56 +0900, Peter Krone <mail@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I know that some of you use the Nikkor 10.5mm on a Canon 5D. I
              > understand, that this is the only way to use this fabolous lens on a
              > fullframe camera.
              >
              > But if it you are willing to shoot 6+1, you still get a fullsphere
              > with a crop-camera. Isn't there a body with nikon-mount that can
              > produce sharp panos?
              >
              > What are good combos?

              I am reasonalby happy with my D200, although coming from film I find
              its restricted dynamic range a real pain.

              Roger

            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 28, 2006
                On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 00:15:37 +0900, Ian Wood <panolists@...>
                wrote:

                > On 28 Sep 2006, at 15:59, Peter Krone wrote:
                >
                >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Fisher" <bob@...>
                >> wrote:
                >>> Just about any camera, Canon5D, 20/30D, with a shorter flange focal
                >>> distance than the Nikon F mount through the use of an adapter. The
                >>> Canon EOS bodies have a shorter flange focal distance so they are
                >>> perfect with the use of an adapter.
                >>
                >> Did I get you right? The Canon bodies are better for this lens, even
                >> though your have to use an adaptor?
                >
                > They aren't *better*, it's just that Canon bodies will fit almost any
                > lens from other manufacturers with adapters.
                >
                > If you wanted to use a 10.5mm on a Nikon-mount fullframe camera you
                > could always look out for a second-hand Kodak, although they have
                > noise issues.

                My D200 has a noise issue.

                Roger

              • Alan Ritter
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 28, 2006
                  Here's another example of a pan shot with the 10.5 Nikkor on a Nikon
                  D200 body:

                  http://www.mtritter.org/Meramec/

                  The QTVR version is larger and sharper than the Java view that comes up
                  with the page.

                  This one was shot 8 shots in portrait orientation plus zenith and
                  nadir. The D200 is mounted on a custom bracket that I designed that
                  gives me pin-indexed stops at the 45s plus a second axis to flip the
                  camera up for the zenith shot. Nadir is, of course, hand-held.

                  I've been shooting Nikon film SLRs for the better part of 40 years and
                  am VERY pleased with the D200, especially since it'll use all of my old
                  (manual focus) Nikkor glass.

                  /s/jar (Alan Ritter, jar@...)
                  http://www.mtritter.org
                • smarfingerfeulcher
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 28, 2006
                    As a new D-80 owner i can attest that this camera looks very
                    promising. I've completed two panos with the 10.5 and believe it to be
                    noticeably sharper than my D-70, at least at f 8.0 which is the area
                    where I'm most comfortable.

                    I've posted one to WWP/Transportation titled "Raw material for roads
                    and runways!" which may be useful as a small cog in assessing the camera.

                    For my money the camera has noticeably less latitude for
                    underexposure, but as I gain experience this opinion may change.
                  • Roger D. Williams
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 29, 2006
                      On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:14:52 +0900, smarfingerfeulcher
                      <rmlcd@...> wrote:

                      > As a new D-80 owner i can attest that this camera looks very
                      > promising. I've completed two panos with the 10.5 and believe it to be
                      > noticeably sharper than my D-70, at least at f 8.0 which is the area
                      > where I'm most comfortable.
                      >
                      > I've posted one to WWP/Transportation titled "Raw material for roads
                      > and runways!" which may be useful as a small cog in assessing the camera.
                      >
                      > For my money the camera has noticeably less latitude for
                      > underexposure, but as I gain experience this opinion may change.

                      That last remark interests me. I have been unpleasantly surprised by the
                      D200's lack of tolerance for underexposure, or perhaps I should say its
                      generally restricted dynamic range. Of course, I come from a lifetime of
                      using colour negative film, so I may be seeing nothing unusual for
                      digital photography. But I am finding it hard to cope. I thought I had
                      problems with movement at the seams. But now I have problems ALL OVER THE
                      PANORAMA if I try to use HDR. Argh.

                      In Japan, the D80 is very highly evaluated for its dynamic range tweaking
                      ability. Don't know what it's called in English, but there are three
                      levels of dynamic range compression (well, whether you call it compression
                      or expansion depends on your point of view). From the pictures I have seen
                      in the mags, it can make a remarkably good job of filling in shadow detail
                      on strongly backlit subjects. I could use that in my panoramas.

                      Have you explored this feature/function?

                      Roger W.

                    • smarfingerfeulcher
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 30, 2006
                        Odd you should mention it since the pano has a strongly backlit
                        component that has minimal detail.

                        I wasn't aware of this correction and can't find it on the menus. I'll
                        get the manual out and have a go today.... I've been running tone
                        compensation on auto, if that is what you refer to.

                        I'll also take a look at CaptureNX, which is also new to me and
                        totally confusing in its new and "better" presentation of options.....
                      • John Riley
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 1, 2006
                          Ah, a new version of Capture is out! If you are a Mac user, could
                          you tell us whether it still supports tethered shooting and whether
                          the applescript commands for capturing images have been fixed?

                          If you are not a Mac user, is there anyone else who is that can comment?

                          Thanks,

                          John

                          John Riley
                          johnriley@...
                          jriley@...

                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 1, 2006
                            Sorry. PC....
                          • smarfingerfeulcher
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                              Roger Williams asked:

                              > In Japan, the D80 is very highly evaluated for its dynamic range
                              tweaking
                              > ability. Don't know what it's called in English, but there are three
                              > levels of dynamic range compression (well, whether you call it
                              compression
                              > or expansion depends on your point of view). From the pictures I
                              have seen
                              > in the mags, it can make a remarkably good job of filling in shadow
                              detail
                              > on strongly backlit subjects. I could use that in my panoramas.
                              >
                              > Have you explored this feature/function?
                              >
                              > Roger W.

                              I have yet to try it, since it seems pretty much useless. The feature
                              is listed under mul;tiple exposure and seems to offer the option of
                              two or three images combined, if I read things correctly, taken over a
                              one stop range. That is, three pix at 1/2 stop intervals or two a stop
                              apart. You seem to otherwise have no control--can't change the
                              exposure of quantity numbers beyond those two options.

                              My concern on a pano is that the combined images will not match
                              well....so I usually work around the problem in other ways...

                              If someone has tried this with more optimistic results, I'd like to
                              see them....

                            • Roger D. Williams
                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
                                On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 23:14:06 +0900, smarfingerfeulcher
                                <rmlcd@...> wrote:

                                > Roger Williams asked:
                                >
                                >> In Japan, the D80 is very highly evaluated for its dynamic range
                                > tweaking ability.

                                > I have yet to try it, since it seems pretty much useless. The feature
                                > is listed under mul;tiple exposure and seems to offer the option of
                                > two or three images combined, if I read things correctly, taken over a
                                > one stop range. That is, three pix at 1/2 stop intervals or two a stop
                                > apart. You seem to otherwise have no control--can't change the
                                > exposure of quantity numbers beyond those two options.

                                We may not be talking about the same thing. The explanation I read said
                                that image processing developed detail in the shadow areas, and the
                                examples given (mild, normal and strong) were VERY impressive. As I
                                said, the feature is highly evaulated.

                                > My concern on a pano is that the combined images will not match
                                > well....so I usually work around the problem in other ways...

                                Yes, this is the problem I have with HDR, and why I am so impressed with
                                the new D80 feature. I saw no mention of multiple exposure but I wasn't
                                looking for it and it WAS in Japanese. <g>

                                > If someone has tried this with more optimistic results, I'd like to
                                > see them....

                                If it weren't for the copyright issues I'd scan the photos attached to
                                the article I read. Very impressive indeed.

                                Roger W.

                              • Ian Wood
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 3, 2006
                                  On 3 Oct 2006, at 02:57, Roger D. Williams wrote:

                                  > On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 23:14:06 +0900, smarfingerfeulcher
                                  > <rmlcd@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Roger Williams asked:
                                  >>
                                  >>> In Japan, the D80 is very highly evaluated for its dynamic range
                                  >> tweaking ability.
                                  >
                                  >> I have yet to try it, since it seems pretty much useless. The
                                  >> feature
                                  >> is listed under mul;tiple exposure and seems to offer the option of
                                  >> two or three images combined, if I read things correctly, taken
                                  >> over a
                                  >> one stop range. That is, three pix at 1/2 stop intervals or two a
                                  >> stop
                                  >> apart. You seem to otherwise have no control--can't change the
                                  >> exposure of quantity numbers beyond those two options.
                                  >
                                  > We may not be talking about the same thing. The explanation I read
                                  > said
                                  > that image processing developed detail in the shadow areas, and the
                                  > examples given (mild, normal and strong) were VERY impressive. As I
                                  > said, the feature is highly evaluated.

                                  The only things I've seen mentioned in reviews are in-camera multiple
                                  exposure blending, and in-camera shadow/highlight correction. Dynamic
                                  range tests such as <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/
                                  page19.asp> show it to be identical in dynamic range to other current
                                  cameras such as the 30D.

                                  Ian
                                • Roger D. Williams
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 3, 2006
                                    On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 17:46:49 +0900, Ian Wood <panolists@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > On 3 Oct 2006, at 02:57, Roger D. Williams wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 23:14:06 +0900, smarfingerfeulcher
                                    >> <rmlcd@...> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >>> Roger Williams asked:

                                    >>> tweaking ability.
                                    >>
                                    >>> I have yet to try it, since it seems pretty much useless. The
                                    >>> feature
                                    >>> is listed under mul;tiple exposure and seems to offer the option of
                                    >>> two or three images combined, if I read things correctly, taken
                                    >>> over a
                                    >>> one stop range. That is, three pix at 1/2 stop intervals or two a
                                    >>> stop
                                    >>> apart. You seem to otherwise have no control--can't change the
                                    >>> exposure of quantity numbers beyond those two options.
                                    >>
                                    >> We may not be talking about the same thing. The explanation I read
                                    >> said
                                    >> that image processing developed detail in the shadow areas, and the
                                    >> examples given (mild, normal and strong) were VERY impressive. As I
                                    >> said, the feature is highly evaluated.
                                    >
                                    > The only things I've seen mentioned in reviews are in-camera multiple
                                    > exposure blending, and in-camera shadow/highlight correction. Dynamic
                                    > range tests such as <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/
                                    > page19.asp> show it to be identical in dynamic range to other current
                                    > cameras such as the 30D.

                                    It's definitely the in-camera shadow/highlight correction. I knew the
                                    Sony Alpha had this, but I don't follow Canons, and didn't know the
                                    30D had it. Anyway, however it compares, it seems like a very useful
                                    thing to have and I sure wish I had it!

                                    Actually, of course, dpreview was very scathing about the Fuji S3, but
                                    they did not test it appropriately, and failed to get the potential
                                    from it. Unusual for them... (I refer to the wider range that the
                                    dual honycomb feature secures).

                                    Roger W.

                                  • Ian Wood
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 3, 2006
                                      On 3 Oct 2006, at 10:20, Roger D. Williams wrote:

                                      > It's definitely the in-camera shadow/highlight correction. I knew the
                                      > Sony Alpha had this, but I don't follow Canons, and didn't know the
                                      > 30D had it. Anyway, however it compares, it seems like a very useful
                                      > thing to have and I sure wish I had it!

                                      As far as I know the 30D doesn't have HS correction - it's just very
                                      similar in dynamic range to the D80. Of course, what you do to the
                                      image afterwards is irrelevant as far as *captured* DR is concerned.

                                      In-camera HS correction is absolutely useless to panoramic shooters,
                                      though. :-(

                                      Ian
                                    • Roger D. Williams
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 3, 2006
                                        On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 18:46:07 +0900, Ian Wood <panolists@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > On 3 Oct 2006, at 10:20, Roger D. Williams wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> It's definitely the in-camera shadow/highlight correction. I knew the
                                        >> Sony Alpha had this, but I don't follow Canons, and didn't know the
                                        >> 30D had it. Anyway, however it compares, it seems like a very useful
                                        >> thing to have and I sure wish I had it!
                                        >
                                        > As far as I know the 30D doesn't have HS correction - it's just very
                                        > similar in dynamic range to the D80. Of course, what you do to the
                                        > image afterwards is irrelevant as far as *captured* DR is concerned.
                                        >
                                        > In-camera HS correction is absolutely useless to panoramic shooters,
                                        > though. :-(

                                        You can say that although you haven't seen the results that so
                                        impressed me? I am surprised to find so negative an attitude. I'd
                                        keep an open mind about it if I were you. I lust after the clear
                                        improvement I see, and know EXACTLY how it would help solve
                                        problems I encounter almost daily.

                                        Roger W.

                                      • Wheaton, Simon
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 3, 2006
                                          Is it going to work in a multi-image pano shooting/stitching situation
                                          though?

                                          I would think that the processing would be dependant on each image,
                                          applying different parameters to each image. Or does it use the same
                                          parameters for multiple images, with some sort of manual/locked
                                          settings?

                                          Simon
                                          Canberra
                                          AUSTRALIA

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 3, 2006
                                            On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 11:16:34 +0900, Wheaton, Simon
                                            <simon.wheaton@...> wrote:

                                            > Is it going to work in a multi-image pano shooting/stitching situation
                                            > though?
                                            >
                                            > I would think that the processing would be dependant on each image,
                                            > applying different parameters to each image. Or does it use the same
                                            > parameters for multiple images, with some sort of manual/locked
                                            > settings?

                                            That's a valid concern, Simon, and I can't answer by experience as I
                                            don't have a D80, but I do have experience of producing HDR images
                                            individually and then stitching them together. PTgui, which I use,
                                            is quite capable of smoothly integrating all of the images into a
                                            consistent (-looking?) panorama although the individual frames may
                                            have been treated slightly differently from each other and even
                                            look slightly different from one another.

                                            So I tend to think that this approach would greatly simplify my
                                            work and that it is being seriously underestimated by those who
                                            haven't tried it. I, of course, may have the opposite fault. <g>

                                            Roger W.

                                          • Ian Wood
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 4, 2006
                                              On 4 Oct 2006, at 03:16, Wheaton, Simon wrote:

                                              > Is it going to work in a multi-image pano shooting/stitching situation
                                              > though?
                                              >
                                              > I would think that the processing would be dependant on each image,
                                              > applying different parameters to each image.

                                              That was the point, but I hadn't made it clear. Oops.

                                              This is something I know through bitter experience - any kind of
                                              'locally dependant' filter/adjustment such as highlight/shadow
                                              recovery can only be safely applied to the stitched panorama. Do it
                                              before stitching and you can end up with images that differ so
                                              drastically in tone at the edges that even Enblend has trouble
                                              matching them up.

                                              Take the case of a panorama where image A is made up of just shadow
                                              area, overlapping with image B which only has shadow area on the edge
                                              - HS adjustments will lighten the whole of image A, but will NOT do
                                              the same amount of lightening to the equivalent area on image B
                                              because the amount of lightening is based on the *size* of the dark
                                              area. I once ran Photoshop's HS adjustment on all the images for a
                                              panorama and it was hopeless - even with fixed parameters rather than
                                              automatic adjustment.

                                              I stand by my statement that it's a useless feature for panoramic
                                              photographers, but it IS great for every one else!

                                              Ian