Realtime 3d with 360 equirectangular view

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 10, 2009
      http://ko-tv.com/loran/VerticalAnamorphose/VerticalAnamorphose.html

      with the Unity3d web player
      http://unity3d.com/unity-web-player-2.x.html

      Shows an animated 3d scene with a 360 equirectangular view that you can pan and tilt

      Unity3d can show multiple cameras on screen so this is done with many vertical strips (cameras) I think. It would be interesting to see what their showcase tropical island scene would look like with this 360 camera.

      Peter M
    • Aldo Hoeben
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 10, 2009
        psst... that's cylindrical, not equirectangular
        Here's a version of SPi-V that does the same:
        http://fieldofview.com/spv/show.php?dcr=cylindered.dcr&file=../pano-fullscreen/trunk.jpg
      • Bernhard Vogl
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 10, 2009
          > psst... that's cylindrical, not equirectangular
          > Here's a version of SPi-V that does the same:
          > http://fieldofview.com/spv/show.php?dcr=cylindered.dcr&file=../pano-fullscreen/trunk.jpg

          Hello Aldo,

          BTW: What ever happened to the VTour plugin based on the SPi-V technology. A few days ago i tried to find any traces on the net but no luck... :-(

          Best regards
          Bernhard
        • Aldo Hoeben
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
            > What ever happened to the VTour plugin based on the SPi-V
            > technology. A few days ago i tried to find any traces on the net
            > but no luck... :-(

            I meant to reply to this sooner... but I didn't :-|

            VTour was discontinued when RealViz was assimilated by Autodesk. RealVIZ
            had no exclusivity to SPi-V3d, so I can still distribute it, but I have
            simply run out of time doing something useful with the code. If you need
            it, I still have it. I just have no content to show it off with (other
            than the samples made by RealVIZ, and I don't know if I still have the
            'right' to show those on the net).

            'do
          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
              Quoting Aldo Hoeben <aldo@...>:

              > > What ever happened to the VTour plugin based on the SPi-V
              > > technology. A few days ago i tried to find any traces on the net
              > > but no luck... :-(
              I liked spi-V as I recall. what's the deal now with licences ?
              mick

            • ahoeben41
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009
                > I liked spi-V as I recall. what's the deal now with licences ?

                http://fieldofview.com/spv-licensing/
                SPi-V is free to use if you are using it to display simple panoramas. If you are using its advanced features (ie: if you are using xml files), you can still use it for free, but branding will appear. You can buy a license (there is just one type now) to get rid of this branding.

                Though SPi-V is still a more than capable panorama viewer, I would not suggest you 'invest' in it at this point; there are some similarly nice flash-based viewers out there, and Flash just has a better installbase.

                'do

                PS: no Karol, SPi-V is not dead ;-)
              • Bernhard Vogl
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009
                  > Though SPi-V is still a more than capable panorama viewer, I would not suggest you 'invest' in it at this point; there are some similarly nice flash-based viewers out there, and Flash just has a better installbase.
                  >
                  > 'do
                  >
                  > PS: no Karol, SPi-V is not dead ;-)
                  I agree that SPi-V has become a viewer for specialized tasks. It still
                  offers more than i've ever seen in any panorama viewer (Papervision3D is
                  no panorama viewer).
                  With RealViz disappearing, is there any possibility left to feed data to
                  SPi-V 3D? Do you know if the macromedia engine it recognized by Nvidia's
                  3D Vision system?

                  Bernhard
                • ahoeben41
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
                    > I agree that SPi-V has become a viewer for specialized tasks. It
                    > still offers more than i've ever seen in any panorama viewer
                    > (Papervision3D is no panorama viewer).

                    Flash is starting to get close though...

                    > With RealViz disappearing, is there any possibility left to feed
                    > data to SPi-V 3D?

                    In theory: yes. VTour exported to .w3d format, and many other 3d packages still export to that format (3d studio max, maya, cinema4d). Having said that, there are some peculiarities in the scenes SPi-V 3d expects. Eg the existence of at least two camera objects, the second of which is the 'interesting' one. Also SPi-V3d removes all lights from the scene and expects all materials to be 'emissive' (ie: not shaded, but a single solid color or 'solid' texture).

                    > Do you know if the macromedia engine it recognized
                    > by Nvidia's 3D Vision system?

                    I don't. I remember I had a pair of stereo glasses with my first Geforce card ('Geforce 256'), but the current incarnation of stereo software from NVidia requires a card newer than what I have so I can not test it out. I would be a little surprised if it 'just works', but it just could ;-)

                    Anyway, if you have a project that could use SPi-V3d, and have a budget, I can dive in to the SPi-V3d codebase to make it work with your content...
                  • panovrx
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
                      > > Do you know if the macromedia engine it recognized
                      > > by Nvidia's 3D Vision system?
                      >
                      > I don't. I remember I had a pair of stereo glasses with my first Geforce card ('Geforce 256'), but the current incarnation of stereo software from NVidia requires a card newer than what I have so I can not test it out. I would be a little surprised if it 'just works', but it just could ;-)

                      I doubt very much if standard Shockwave3d content would work in stereo with the current nvidia (DirectX) stereo driver. I had no luck with Shockwave3d game content a year ago with the Iz3d stereo driver (which makes almost every fullscreen DirectX game work in some sort of stereo -- anaglyph, shutter glasses, Iz3d screen etc). However Shockwave3d is a good display solution for side by side linked stereo panoramas on a double width desktop -- with the monitor outputs going to twin polarized projectors.

                      Peter M
                    • Bernhard Vogl
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
                        > I doubt very much if standard Shockwave3d content would work in stereo with the current nvidia (DirectX) stereo driver. I had no luck with Shockwave3d game content a year ago with the Iz3d stereo driver (which makes almost every fullscreen DirectX game work in some sort of stereo -- anaglyph, shutter glasses, Iz3d screen etc). However Shockwave3d is a good display solution for side by side linked stereo panoramas on a double width desktop -- with the monitor outputs going to twin polarized projectors.
                        Same here - no stereo with Shockwave.
                        I personally find it very inconvinient to watch stereo images side by
                        side (my eyes refuse to work that way) but you may also use SPi-V to mix
                        the left/right images on the fly for display.

                        Bernhard
                      • Roger D. Williams
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
                          On Fri, 01 May 2009 07:46:08 +0900, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

                          >> I doubt very much if standard Shockwave3d content would work in stereo
                          >> with the current nvidia (DirectX) stereo driver. I had no luck with
                          >> Shockwave3d game content a year ago with the Iz3d stereo driver (which
                          >> makes almost every fullscreen DirectX game work in some sort of stereo
                          >> -- anaglyph, shutter glasses, Iz3d screen etc). However Shockwave3d is
                          >> a good display solution for side by side linked stereo panoramas on a
                          >> double width desktop -- with the monitor outputs going to twin
                          >> polarized projectors.

                          > Same here - no stereo with Shockwave.

                          > I personally find it very inconvinient to watch stereo images side by
                          > side (my eyes refuse to work that way) but you may also use SPi-V to mix
                          > the left/right images on the fly for display.

                          Bernard, I find the one-above-the-other display very convenient for
                          watching through periscope type viewers using mirrors. Admittedly these
                          are not so good with the increasingly common "wide" displays. Or so I
                          thought until I realized that mine had an unused option for rotation
                          through 90 degrees for use in portrait-oriented mode. Perfect!

                          I will write another note about an article on recent research that may
                          be relevant to your latest interest in stereo viewing.

                          Roger W.

                          --
                          Work: www.adex-japan.com
                        • Roger D. Williams
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
                            Bernhard,

                            I suggest you try to access the article in the April 25 - May 1
                            edition of the British "Ecoomist" magazine with the unlikely
                            title "Polyphemus does the hoovering."

                            This describes a new image-processing technique using carefully
                            optimised routines for deriving 3D positional information from
                            moving images. Simultaneous Localisation and Mapping (SLAM) is
                            primarly designed to process information from sensors using
                            lasers but Dr. Davidson of Imperial College London has applied
                            it to digital cameras. He and his colleagues have "recently
                            been able to show this new form of SLAM working at 200 frames
                            per second on a camera tossed from hand to hand, using just a
                            laptop computer to process the images."

                            This looks off topic, but the technique uses the very rapid
                            identification of congruent features in contiguous video
                            frames to trace movements and infer locations, so there is
                            a real possibility of the techniques being applicable to the
                            processing of panoramas and/or the adjustment of stereo display
                            parameters. If you can access it, I'd be interested to hear
                            your opinion. If you can't, I have access to the article on
                            the Economist website and might be able to obtain the text
                            and/or send a link (the latter doubtful as it is largely
                            restricted to subscribers).

                            Roger W.

                            --
                            Work: www.adex-japan.com