Re: [PanoToolsNG] D300 MLU/AEB

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 9 6:17 PM
      On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 21:27:37 +0900, Keith Martin <keith@...>
      wrote:

      > Sometime around 8/4/09 (at 10:44 +0100) Keith Martin said:
      >
      >> Ignoring factors such as resolution, etc., what dSLRs
      >> are there that match or beat the S5Pro's dynamic range?
      >
      > Answering my own question:
      >
      > http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database

      That's very interesting, thanks for the URL. Although I use DX0 I
      hadn't found my way to that resource.

      > It seems that until you go past ISO 800 there's still nothing that
      > quite matches the Fuji S5Pro's dynamic range. The Canon 5D MkII is
      > actually a bit so-so in this area, and even the Nikon D3 and D3x fall
      > short, especially in the 400-800 ISO range. Curious that the S5Pro
      > drops below the Canon and both Nikons when it hits the ISO 1600 range
      > and higher.

      Owning or having owned the D200/D300 and S5 I was interested to
      be able to compare them. I generally found my own subjective
      judgements to be reflected in the DX0 graphs, although the D200
      and D300 appear closer to each other than they seem to me. I can
      no longer compare them, though, as I traded in the D200 for the
      D300.

      > To be fair, there's a *lot* more to things than just dynamic range...
      > but even so, and even though I knew the S5Pro was good in this area,
      > this was a surprise.

      My own conclusion using the D200 was that I shouldn't use ISO
      400. The S5 is usable at 800. That makes about two stops gain,
      which with my shaky hands (and no vibration-canceling lenses) is
      very useful. This was based on a subjective judgement of
      digital noise.

      The value given by DX0 for the gain in dynamic range is "only"
      about one-and-a-half stops, and I make it closer to four, but
      I am definitely pushing it (bringing down highlights--which it
      supports VERY well) and boosting shadows (until noise gets too
      obtrusive). The lower and generally nicer noise helps with the
      latter.

      The S5, at three years old, is definitely a generation behind
      the competition in various usability criteria, but for panorama
      taking it still can't be beat! I wonder if they will produce
      an S7?

      I also like the S5's colour rendering, although the D300 is no
      slouch. <g>

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com