Re: Aiptek A-HD+ mini fisheye camera mod

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4 6:44 AM

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RomualdV <vromuald@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Le 3 avr. 09 à 08:01, panovrx a écrit :
      > >
      > > > . an Aiptek A-HD+ hybrid camera and it came this morning and I
      > > > replaced the lens with the fisheye lens from the GoPro Hero Wide --
      > > > here is a still
      > > > http://www.mediavr.com/aiptek1.jpg
      > >
      > > Sharper in the corners than in the center in this sample, as you set
      > > it or it is a fov/distance effect...
      >
      > The focusplane of a fisheye is flat. This means that subjects in the periferal areas may have a focus distance of 10 cm even if they in real life are 10 meters away.
      > So if you shoot on full aperture and focus at 10 cm you get sharp corners and no focus in centre.
      > Of course it is also the same the other way around.
      > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/fisheye-focus/fisheye-focus.jpg

      Here is a real example showing this.
      http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/fisheye-focus/nikkor-0.4m.jpg

      Distance to the floor and ceiling is 1,2 m and the distance to the white scale is 1 meter and the yellow is 0,7m. Lens is focused at 0.5m.

      You can see that centre is out of focus after 0,7m but floor and ceiling is sharp.

      This is why many have problems doing sharp nadirs, You actually may have to replace a diameter of 1 m with the Nadir shot even if your hole is just 50cm in diameter.

      Hans
    • RomualdV
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4 8:46 AM
        Le 4 avr. 09 à 17:29, Hans Nyberg a écrit :

        >>> . an Aiptek A-HD+ hybrid camera and it came this morning and I
        >>> replaced the lens with the fisheye lens from the GoPro Hero Wide --
        >>> here is a still
        >>> http://www.mediavr.com/aiptek1.jpg
        >>
        >> Sharper in the corners than in the center in this sample, as you set
        >> it or it is a fov/distance effect...
        >
        > The focusplane of a fisheye is flat. This means that subjects in
        > the periferal areas may have a focus distance of 10 cm even if they
        > in real life are 10 meters away.
        > So if you shoot on full aperture and focus at 10 cm you get sharp
        > corners and no focus in centre.
        > Of course it is also the same the other way around.
        > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/fisheye-focus/fisheye-focus.jpg

        I badly experiment that for my firsts panos with the 10.5 Nikkor some
        years ago.
        But sometimes the focused plane -on the sensor side- is not
        absolutely flat. For example with a Canon 24mm/1.4.

        Romuald
      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 5 1:00 AM
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RomualdV <vromuald@...> wrote:

          > Le 3 avr. 09 à 08:01, panovrx a écrit :
          >
          > > . an Aiptek A-HD+ hybrid camera and it came this morning and I
          > > replaced the lens with the fisheye lens from the GoPro Hero Wide --
          > > here is a still
          > > http://www.mediavr.com/aiptek1.jpg
          >
          > Sharper in the corners than in the center in this sample, as you set
          > it or it is a fov/distance effect...
          >
          > Romuald

          Yes I set it too close -- with these mini fisheye lenses with fixed (maximum) apertures you need to focus carefully. The Aiptek camera has 4X digital zoom so that helps but it is hard to see the screen detail in bright light.

          Here is another still with it (5M default)
          http://www.mediavr.com/aiptek2.jpg
          with the Sunex DSL219A 1.8mm fisheye
          http://www.optics-online.com/OOL/DSL/DSL219.PDF
          ... and the coverage is about 185 by 140 I think ... like a shaved 10.5mm on full frame.

          There is no manual exposure with the Aiptek but the exposure compensation reveals more detail in bright and dark areas so the sensor has actually a quite wide dynamic range. So you could at a pinch shoot panoramas with it. Here is a video showing the low light response with this lens fitted (it has f2 aperture). This is 60fps 720p.
          www.mediavr.com/helimodel.mov (16M)

          There are quite a few shots of dismanted Aiptek A-HD+ cameras online but it is a bit harder to modify I think than the Logitech Notebook Pro webcam and Gopro Hero Wide which I have retrofitted fisheye lenses to too also. The main issue is the M12 lens mount of the Aiptek which is custom for this camera and is better replaced with a more conventional M12 mount. Which I did. I would rate the difficulty of fitting prime fisheyes to this 5 out of 10, compared with the GoPro 3 out of 10 and the webcam 2.

          Peter M
        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 12 4:20 PM
            Here is a little movie with the Aiptek/Sunex (of Jesus) that I converted from fisheye to equirectangular with PTAdjust (and cropped a little)
            http://www.vimeo.com/4122209
            .. the noise is from a fountain behind me
            this is about 150 degrees fov I think

            for comparison a regular panorama a little later (full screen)
            http://www.mediavr.com/goodfriday09.htm
            with 5D MkII, 10.5mm Nikkor, f3.5, 1000IS0, 9 shots motorized in 2.5 sec

            The Aiptek has different video modes and here I used 720p, 60fps (but Vimeo converts everything to 25fps). 60fps recording (and playback at 60 fps) gives very smooth motion on action scenes and produces less rolling shutter distortion but the 1080p 30fps mode gives more detail.

            Peter M

            > Yes I set it too close -- with these mini fisheye lenses with fixed (maximum) apertures you need to focus carefully. The Aiptek camera has 4X digital zoom so that helps but it is hard to see the screen detail in bright light.
            >
            > Here is another still with it (5M default)
            > http://www.mediavr.com/aiptek2.jpg
            > with the Sunex DSL219A 1.8mm fisheye
            > http://www.optics-online.com/OOL/DSL/DSL219.PDF
            > ... and the coverage is about 185 by 140 I think ... like a shaved 10.5mm on full frame.
            >
            > There is no manual exposure with the Aiptek but the exposure compensation reveals more detail in bright and dark areas so the sensor has actually a quite wide dynamic range. So you could at a pinch shoot panoramas with it. Here is a video showing the low light response with this lens fitted (it has f2 aperture). This is 60fps 720p.
            >http://www.mediavr.com/helimodel.mov (16M)
            >
            > There are quite a few shots of dismanted Aiptek A-HD+ cameras online but it is a bit harder to modify I think than the Logitech Notebook Pro webcam and Gopro Hero Wide which I have retrofitted fisheye lenses to too also. The main issue is the M12 lens mount of the Aiptek which is custom for this camera and is better replaced with a more conventional M12 mount. Which I did. I would rate the difficulty of fitting prime fisheyes to this 5 out of 10, compared with the GoPro 3 out of 10 and the webcam 2.
            >
            > Peter M

          • Steve Morton
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 12 7:59 PM
              Hi All,

              Just trying a new wintel machine running Vista 64 Ultimate with
              Quicktime 7.6 loaded and it wont run Quicktime VRs
              Has anyone got any clues on how to run QTVRs on this OS?

              Many thanks in advance
              All the best
              Steve
            • erik leeman
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 13 2:53 AM
                Unfortunately Vimeo only allows downloading of the original version (= not re-encoded and re-compressed by Vimeo) to those who have an account with them, as it's quality is a lot better. It does look remarkably like an animated watercolour painting though, is that also how it looks straight from the camera?

                Erik Leeman

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" wrote:

                > Here is a little movie with the Aiptek/Sunex (of Jesus) that I
                > converted from fisheye to equirectangular with PTAdjust (and
                > cropped a little)
                > http://www.vimeo.com/4122209
                > .. the noise is from a fountain behind me
                > this is about 150 degrees fov I think
                >
                > for comparison a regular panorama a little later (full screen)
                > http://www.mediavr.com/goodfriday09.htm
                > with 5D MkII, 10.5mm Nikkor, f3.5, 1000IS0, 9 shots motorized in
                > 2.5 sec
                >
                > The Aiptek has different video modes and here I used 720p, 60fps
                > (but Vimeo converts everything to 25fps). 60fps recording (and
                > playback at 60 fps) gives very smooth motion on action scenes and
                > produces less rolling shutter distortion but the 1080p 30fps mode
                > gives more detail.
                >
                > Peter M
              • Juergen Schrader
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 13 3:19 AM
                  Yes, I you use DevalVR to view QTVR on XP64.
                  Others had luck using Firefox in compatibility mode.

                  Best
                  Jürgen

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Steve Morton <steven.morton@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All,
                  >
                  > Just trying a new wintel machine running Vista 64 Ultimate with
                  > Quicktime 7.6 loaded and it wont run Quicktime VRs
                  > Has anyone got any clues on how to run QTVRs on this OS?
                  >
                  > Many thanks in advance
                  > All the best
                  > Steve

                • panovrx
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 13 3:39 AM
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                    > Unfortunately Vimeo only allows downloading of the original version (= not re-encoded and re-compressed by Vimeo) to those who have an account with them, as it's quality is a lot better. It does look remarkably like an animated watercolour painting though, is that also how it looks straight from the camera?
                    >
                    > Erik Leeman

                    http://www.mediavr.com/aiptek1.mov ... is what it looks like straight out of the camera

                    with this one though, as you can see, I added the "painterly" filtering while doing the batch Photoshop frame conversion to equirectangular - because the lighting was very dull. It is interesting I think to imagine what kind of movie scene would look good as an "unwrapped" panorama like this on a big screen if it could be done in high definition. It is not something Hollywood has ever done I think in a narrative film. I imagine a procession scene like this, or a vast seething crowd would work well as a 180 degree equi from an elevated viewpoint. The viewer learns quickly I think to scan the scene back and forward to see what is happening The military have long used live un-fisheyed 180+ degree video views for "situational awareness" applications. Not necessarily interactive views, the whole view in one frame ...
                    http://defense update.com/events/2008/summary/eurosatory08_panoramic.htm

                    Peter M

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Here is a little movie with the Aiptek/Sunex (of Jesus) that I
                    > > converted from fisheye to equirectangular with PTAdjust (and
                    > > cropped a little)
                    > > http://www.vimeo.com/4122209
                    > > .. the noise is from a fountain behind me
                    > > this is about 150 degrees fov I think
                    > >
                    > > for comparison a regular panorama a little later (full screen)
                    > > http://www.mediavr.com/goodfriday09.htm
                  • Luca N Vascon
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 13 2:11 PM
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9kHb_oyfwI
                      rough and before the cure....

                      --
                      IUAV università degli studi, Venezia

                      Dr. Luca Vascon
                      tel . (+39) 041.2571262, e-mail vascon@...

                      laboratorio multimedia Facoltà di Design e Arti, DADI
                      Magazzino 7 ex Ligabue, Dorsoduro 1827 30123 Venezia
                    • Marc Huff
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 13 2:58 PM
                        Vista 64 won't display QTVR.

                        The Firefox DevalVR viewer is the only way to do it... and that won't do
                        multimode or linked VRs, either.

                        It's sad.

                        _Marc Huff
                        WHdigital, Inc.

                      • Harald Bendschneider
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 14 12:39 AM
                          I have Windows Vista Business 64 bit and Firefox Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U;
                          Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 GTB5 (.NET
                          CLR 3.5.30729)

                          and I run it in compatibility-modus to Windows XP SP1. All QTVRs are
                          displayed well now.

                          Cheers

                          Panox

                        • Jeffrey Martin
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 14 12:59 AM
                            I was complaining about this in 2005 when I got windows xp x64.

                            This will never be fixed, I guess. It's been 4 years now.

                            Yes, Fiero's stupdendous "F*** Quicktime" plugin is available, and will
                            hijack the QTVR files and play them in silky smooth DevalVR hardware
                            accelerated goodness - most of them anyway.

                            Otherwise, prepare to forsake QTVR, which everyone should have done already,
                            anyway ;-)

                            Jeffrey Martin

                            tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin /
                            http://twitter.com/360cities

                            Re: Quicktime VRs wont run on Vista 64 ultimate
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/28285;_ylc=X3oDMTJza29lcGtuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyODI4NQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjM5Njk0Mzkw>
                            Posted
                            by: "Marc Huff" marchuff@...
                            <marchuff@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Quicktime%20VRs%20wont%20run%20on%20Vista%2064%20ultimate>
                            marchuff