Re: need help for helicopter pano !

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3, 2009
      helico56000 wrote:

      > I need some help
      >
      > I'd like to do some panos
      > in helicopter(Ecureuil AS350BA) a true one not and RC :-)
      >
      > with Nikon d2x and a 10.5mm Nikkor
      >
      > any help will be appreciate

      This has been discussed in deep some years ago. You should find
      something in
      http://www.panotools.org/search/mailarchive/helicopter+panorama+shooting+method
      or similar searches.

      If I remember correctly it all boiled down to not let the helicopter
      rotate and shoot directly from its window or door, but shoot from a pole
      below the helicopter, turning the pole with camera by hand. Sky must be
      shot separately.

      This involves the use of a remote release. I don't know whether the d2x
      has a direct remote or needs to be released via USB. If the latter is
      the case, you need an assistant. And use security ropes for all of your
      gear... ;-)

      best regards
    • helico56000
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2009
        thanks erik

        i take time to read the message that's talk about pano in helicopter
        in archive

        my first test, was by the door open and with a rotation of the helico
        but impossible to stitch too much parallax error :-(

        in a few day when the weather will be good
        I'll try too shoot a few panos
        but shoot from a pole below the helicopter, turning the pole with camera by hand(nikon d2x and nikkor 10.5mm).
        i have a remote wireless for the d2x

        but i got a few doubt

        1- did i have to respect the nodal point even at 500 to 1000 feets ?
        2- how long the pole must be ?

        result here in a few days
        hope everything will be good

        erwan
      • Chris Yeske
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2009
          Hi,

          As long as the pole clears the landing skids you should be OK.
          The nodal point is only dependent on the helicopter being stationary at over
          500 feet.
          If you can have it on continuous shooting and try to rotate the pole about
          4-6 seconds per rotation (probably slower at 500 feet) you should have
          something pretty decent(shutter@1000-2000th of a second if possible). You
          will only need some of the pictures and you can add the zenith shot from the
          ground to patch the sky.

          I use a radio controlled head on a 50 foot mast and still learning:-)

          Chris
          adpov.ca
        • Willy Kaemena
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2009
            If you have a certain distance from the ground nodalpoint is almost
            no issue. I have made panos with nodalpoint distances from 10-40meter.

            I am sure that a heli pano could be made very simple as long there
            is any window on the heli where you could put the cam a bit out and
            where the lens has an unobstructed ground view. I would let the heli
            rotate around his axis, guess it would be simple for the pilot

            here some examples from towers:

            http://www.360cities.net/image/dresden-frauenkirche-church-of-our-lady-tower-turm-view-germany

            http://www.360cities.net/image/kuala-lumpur-malaysia-view-from-kl-tower-menara-feb-2009

            http://www.360cities.net/image/singapore-sentosa-observation-tower-view

            http://www.360cities.net/image/malacca-tower-menara-taming-sari-melaka-malaysia-feb-2009

            http://www.360cities.net/image/berkeley-sather-tower-clock-tower-university-california-usa

            here with objects very near and a rectangular platform:
            http://worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp608/html/WillyKaemena.html
            and the made of
            http://worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp608/extrainfo/behindthescene/WillyKaemena.html

            Willy

            On Apr 4, 2009, at 19:17, Chris Yeske wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > As long as the pole clears the landing skids you should be OK.
            > The nodal point is only dependent on the helicopter being stationary
            > at over
            > 500 feet.
            > If you can have it on continuous shooting and try to rotate the pole
            > about
            > 4-6 seconds per rotation (probably slower at 500 feet) you should have
            > something pretty decent(shutter@1000-2000th of a second if
            > possible). You
            > will only need some of the pictures and you can add the zenith shot
            > from the
            > ground to patch the sky.
            >
            > I use a radio controlled head on a 50 foot mast and still learning:-)
            >
            > Chris
            > adpov.ca

            Willy Kaemena
            (0049) 0177 327 2935
            http://360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena
            http://360cities.net/area/damascus-syria
            http://360cities.net/area/bremen-germany
            http://360cities.net/area/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-2
            http://360cities.net/area/lisbon-portugal

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4, 2009
              Willy Kaemena wrote:

              > If you have a certain distance from the ground nodalpoint is almost
              > no issue. I have made panos with nodalpoint distances from 10-40meter.

              If you have tall buildings beneath far smaller NPP distances can be an
              issue. You will have to do a lot of photoshop work, if you see the wall
              of a house in one shot and not in the adjacent...

              Remember Edward Fink in http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/30743 ?
              He had to fly a second time...

              I agree that it is almost no issue if the ground is flat or there
              are trees or alike.

            • helico56000
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 11, 2009
                hi

                here are my first test of pano by helicopter
                http://www.f-56.com/360/Visite.htm

                15 minutes of fly, 5 panos made with nikon d2x and 10.5 nikkor

                thanks all for your help ;-)

                erwan
              • Willy Kaemena
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 11, 2009
                  looks very good !! which of the proposed methods did you use??

                  Willy Kaemena

                  On Apr 11, 2009, at 9:37, helico56000 wrote:

                  > hi
                  >
                  > here are my first test of pano by helicopter
                  > http://www.f-56.com/360/Visite.htm
                  >
                  > 15 minutes of fly, 5 panos made with nikon d2x and 10.5 nikkor
                  >
                  > thanks all for your help ;-)
                  >
                  > erwan

                • helico56000
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 11, 2009
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

                    > looks very good !! which of the proposed methods did you use??

                    hello Willy

                    i put the d2x on a pole under the helicopter
                    with a wireless remote then i turn the pole and shoot

                    i take the sky before and after the fly

                    the first try was made by turning the helicopter to 360°
                    but a lot of paralax error

                    under the helicopter it was easy for ptgui

                    erwan
                  • Don French
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 12, 2009
                      Parallax error? How could you have parallax error in that situation?

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "helico56000" <helico56000@...> wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > looks very good !! which of the proposed methods did you use??
                      > >

                      > hello Willy
                      >

                      > i put the d2x on a pole under the helicopter
                      > with a wireless remote then i turn the pole and shoot
                      >
                      > i take the sky before and after the fly
                      >
                      > the first try was made by turning the helicopter to 360°
                      > but a lot of paralax error
                      >
                      > under the helicopter it was easy for ptgui
                      >

                      > erwan

                    • Philipp B. Koch
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 12, 2009
                        I think he means shooting from inside the helicopter that led to
                        parallax: Having it turn around the 360°, and you shoot out of the
                        helicopter's door, you won't be within the nodal axis (or whatever you
                        prefer to call it) -- and thus have a lot of parallax.

                        Regards, Ph.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 12, 2009
                          If you are, lets say 150-200m high and the heli could manage a turn
                          around its axis, which should be easy with the control of the tail
                          rotor and there is not much wind which might drift the whole thing
                          off, an offset of the nodal axis of about 30m or a bit more is not a
                          problem in regard of parallax . If there is an open window I would
                          hold the cam in that window frame very slightly outside with a tilt
                          of lets say 30 degrees downwards and I would shoot as many picts as
                          possible during that 360 turn ( 15...25)

                          Well that is my theory... and it would be my approach to tackle the
                          problem. I gained my experience with several towershots with
                          sometimes a considerable offset from the axis.

                          On Apr 12, 2009, at 16:21, Philipp B. Koch wrote:

                          > I think he means shooting from inside the helicopter that led to
                          > parallax: Having it turn around the 360°, and you shoot out of the
                          > helicopter's door, you won't be within the nodal axis (or whatever you
                          > prefer to call it) -- and thus have a lot of parallax.
                          >
                          > Regards, Ph.

                        • Hans Nyberg
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 12, 2009
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

                            > If you are, lets say 150-200m high and the heli could manage a turn
                            > around its axis, which should be easy with the control of the tail
                            > rotor and there is not much wind which might drift the whole thing
                            > off, an offset of the nodal axis of about 30m or a bit more is not a
                            > problem in regard of parallax . If there is an open window I would
                            > hold the cam in that window frame very slightly outside with a tilt
                            > of lets say 30 degrees downwards and I would shoot as many picts as
                            > possible during that 360 turn ( 15...25)
                            >
                            > Well that is my theory... and it would be my approach to tackle the
                            > problem. I gained my experience with several towershots with
                            > sometimes a considerable offset from the axis.

                            Parallax is not the only problem when you are not in the correct entrance pupil.

                            Perspective also changes and that can not be corrected very easy. Maybe a carefull use of the viewpoint feature but I would use manual changes in Photoshop layers,

                            Hans
                          • helico56000
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 13, 2009
                              for me and my short experience in pano in helicopter

                              i just say that it's more easy more speed to take the photos with the pole under the helicopter, and more simple for ptgui to stich !

                              and more fast is good for me and my money
                              at 20 euros the minute of helicopter
                              i prefer this solution !

                              erwan
                            • AYRTON
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 14, 2009
                                On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:37 AM, helico56000 <helico56000@...> wrote:

                                > for me and my short experience in pano in helicopter

                                your panos are just perfect !!!

                                > i just say that it's more easy more speed to take the photos with the pole
                                > under the helicopter, and more simple for ptgui to stich !

                                how long was your pole ?

                                I did this one in 2007 :
                                <http://ayrton.com/360/archives/165>
                                but wasn't long enough :-)

                                > and more fast is good for me and my money
                                > at 20 euros the minute of helicopter, i prefer this solution !

                                here in Brazil is R$ 40 for minute
                                what means in euros about $14

                                congratulations

                                salut
                                AYRTON

                                > erwan

                                ------------
                                | A Y R |
                                | T O N |
                                ------------

                                + 55 21 9982 6313

                                http://ayrton360.com
                                http://rio.360cities.net
                                http://vrfolio.com
                                http://ayrton.com

                              • helico56000
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 14, 2009

                                  > your panos are just perfect !!!

                                  thanks Ayrton ;-)
                                  not so bad for a test !

                                  > how long was your pole ?
                                  the pole is 50cm under the landing skids
                                  it's a manfroto 434b
                                  look here
                                  http://www.f-56.com/360/pole.jpg

                                  salut Ayrton

                                  erwan
                                • AYRTON
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 14, 2009
                                    On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:25 PM, helico56000 <helico56000@...> wrote:

                                    > > how long was your pole ?
                                    > the pole is 50cm under the landing skids
                                    > it's a manfroto 434b
                                    > look here
                                    > http://www.f-56.com/360/pole.jpg

                                    Merci mon ami pour la photo.

                                    Great view of how you place the camera and the pole.
                                    Thanks for sharing

                                    Salut
                                    AYRTON

                                    <http://www.f-56.com/360/pole.jpg>

                                    > salut Ayrton
                                    >

                                    > erwan

                                    ------------
                                    | A Y R |
                                    | T O N |
                                    ------------

                                    + 55 21 9982 6313

                                    http://ayrton360.com
                                    http://rio.360cities.net
                                    http://vrfolio.com
                                    http://ayrton.com

                                  • Bernd
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 15, 2009
                                      Hi Erwan,

                                      nice aerialpanos !!!
                                      And for a test and first try they're very good ;-)

                                      All the best
                                      Bernd
                                      http://www.360bilder.de

                                      > here are my first test of pano by helicopter
                                      > http://www.f-56.com/360/Visite.htm
                                      > 15 minutes of fly, 5 panos made with nikon d2x and 10.5 nikkor
                                    • Erwin Goasguen
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 15, 2009
                                        Nice work Erwan !

                                        I shot some aerial panos not far from where you shot yours.
                                        It may interest you, so here's the link => http://360d.fr/carte-interactive/
                                        (click on the left menu to access panos)

                                        Mine were shot from a blimp, so there not as aerial as yours.

                                        Nice shots again!
                                        Cheers,

                                        Erwin

                                        Bernd a écrit :

                                        > Hi Erwan,
                                        >
                                        > nice aerialpanos !!!
                                        > And for a test and first try they're very good ;-)
                                        >
                                        > All the best
                                        > Bernd
                                        > http://www.360bilder.de <http://www.360bilder.de>
                                        >
                                        > > here are my first test of pano by helicopter
                                        > > http://www.f-56.com/360/Visite.htm <http://www.f-56.com/360/Visite.htm>
                                        > > 15 minutes of fly, 5 panos made with nikon d2x and 10.5 nikkor

                                      • Rochy Liu
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 16, 2009
                                          I am afraid you need a device whick like google street view's,and other three Nikon d2x.Install it to your helicopter's ass,and you can
                                          remote control it by a switch.If you are interested in,i can supple some info of this.

                                          in helicopter(Ecureuil AS350BA) a true one not and RC :-)

                                          with Nikon d2x and a 10.5mm Nikkor

                                          any help will be appreciate

                                          EB