need help for helicopter pano !

  • helico56000
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3, 2009
      hi all

      I need some help

      I'd like to do some panos
      in helicopter(Ecureuil AS350BA) a true one not and RC :-)

      with Nikon d2x and a 10.5mm Nikkor

      any help will be appreciate

      EB
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3, 2009
        helico56000 wrote:

        > I need some help
        >
        > I'd like to do some panos
        > in helicopter(Ecureuil AS350BA) a true one not and RC :-)
        >
        > with Nikon d2x and a 10.5mm Nikkor
        >
        > any help will be appreciate

        This has been discussed in deep some years ago. You should find
        something in
        http://www.panotools.org/search/mailarchive/helicopter+panorama+shooting+method
        or similar searches.

        If I remember correctly it all boiled down to not let the helicopter
        rotate and shoot directly from its window or door, but shoot from a pole
        below the helicopter, turning the pole with camera by hand. Sky must be
        shot separately.

        This involves the use of a remote release. I don't know whether the d2x
        has a direct remote or needs to be released via USB. If the latter is
        the case, you need an assistant. And use security ropes for all of your
        gear... ;-)

        best regards
      • helico56000
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2009
          thanks erik

          i take time to read the message that's talk about pano in helicopter
          in archive

          my first test, was by the door open and with a rotation of the helico
          but impossible to stitch too much parallax error :-(

          in a few day when the weather will be good
          I'll try too shoot a few panos
          but shoot from a pole below the helicopter, turning the pole with camera by hand(nikon d2x and nikkor 10.5mm).
          i have a remote wireless for the d2x

          but i got a few doubt

          1- did i have to respect the nodal point even at 500 to 1000 feets ?
          2- how long the pole must be ?

          result here in a few days
          hope everything will be good

          erwan
        • Chris Yeske
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2009
            Hi,

            As long as the pole clears the landing skids you should be OK.
            The nodal point is only dependent on the helicopter being stationary at over
            500 feet.
            If you can have it on continuous shooting and try to rotate the pole about
            4-6 seconds per rotation (probably slower at 500 feet) you should have
            something pretty decent(shutter@1000-2000th of a second if possible). You
            will only need some of the pictures and you can add the zenith shot from the
            ground to patch the sky.

            I use a radio controlled head on a 50 foot mast and still learning:-)

            Chris
            adpov.ca
          • Willy Kaemena
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4, 2009
              If you have a certain distance from the ground nodalpoint is almost
              no issue. I have made panos with nodalpoint distances from 10-40meter.

              I am sure that a heli pano could be made very simple as long there
              is any window on the heli where you could put the cam a bit out and
              where the lens has an unobstructed ground view. I would let the heli
              rotate around his axis, guess it would be simple for the pilot

              here some examples from towers:

              http://www.360cities.net/image/dresden-frauenkirche-church-of-our-lady-tower-turm-view-germany

              http://www.360cities.net/image/kuala-lumpur-malaysia-view-from-kl-tower-menara-feb-2009

              http://www.360cities.net/image/singapore-sentosa-observation-tower-view

              http://www.360cities.net/image/malacca-tower-menara-taming-sari-melaka-malaysia-feb-2009

              http://www.360cities.net/image/berkeley-sather-tower-clock-tower-university-california-usa

              here with objects very near and a rectangular platform:
              http://worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp608/html/WillyKaemena.html
              and the made of
              http://worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp608/extrainfo/behindthescene/WillyKaemena.html

              Willy

              On Apr 4, 2009, at 19:17, Chris Yeske wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > As long as the pole clears the landing skids you should be OK.
              > The nodal point is only dependent on the helicopter being stationary
              > at over
              > 500 feet.
              > If you can have it on continuous shooting and try to rotate the pole
              > about
              > 4-6 seconds per rotation (probably slower at 500 feet) you should have
              > something pretty decent(shutter@1000-2000th of a second if
              > possible). You
              > will only need some of the pictures and you can add the zenith shot
              > from the
              > ground to patch the sky.
              >
              > I use a radio controlled head on a 50 foot mast and still learning:-)
              >
              > Chris
              > adpov.ca

              Willy Kaemena
              (0049) 0177 327 2935
              http://360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena
              http://360cities.net/area/damascus-syria
              http://360cities.net/area/bremen-germany
              http://360cities.net/area/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-2
              http://360cities.net/area/lisbon-portugal

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 4, 2009
                Willy Kaemena wrote:

                > If you have a certain distance from the ground nodalpoint is almost
                > no issue. I have made panos with nodalpoint distances from 10-40meter.

                If you have tall buildings beneath far smaller NPP distances can be an
                issue. You will have to do a lot of photoshop work, if you see the wall
                of a house in one shot and not in the adjacent...

                Remember Edward Fink in http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/30743 ?
                He had to fly a second time...

                I agree that it is almost no issue if the ground is flat or there
                are trees or alike.

              • helico56000
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 11, 2009
                  hi

                  here are my first test of pano by helicopter
                  http://www.f-56.com/360/Visite.htm

                  15 minutes of fly, 5 panos made with nikon d2x and 10.5 nikkor

                  thanks all for your help ;-)

                  erwan
                • Willy Kaemena
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 11, 2009
                    looks very good !! which of the proposed methods did you use??

                    Willy Kaemena

                    On Apr 11, 2009, at 9:37, helico56000 wrote:

                    > hi
                    >
                    > here are my first test of pano by helicopter
                    > http://www.f-56.com/360/Visite.htm
                    >
                    > 15 minutes of fly, 5 panos made with nikon d2x and 10.5 nikkor
                    >
                    > thanks all for your help ;-)
                    >
                    > erwan

                  • helico56000
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 11, 2009
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

                      > looks very good !! which of the proposed methods did you use??

                      hello Willy

                      i put the d2x on a pole under the helicopter
                      with a wireless remote then i turn the pole and shoot

                      i take the sky before and after the fly

                      the first try was made by turning the helicopter to 360°
                      but a lot of paralax error

                      under the helicopter it was easy for ptgui

                      erwan
                    • Don French
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 12, 2009
                        Parallax error? How could you have parallax error in that situation?

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "helico56000" <helico56000@...> wrote:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > looks very good !! which of the proposed methods did you use??
                        > >

                        > hello Willy
                        >

                        > i put the d2x on a pole under the helicopter
                        > with a wireless remote then i turn the pole and shoot
                        >
                        > i take the sky before and after the fly
                        >
                        > the first try was made by turning the helicopter to 360°
                        > but a lot of paralax error
                        >
                        > under the helicopter it was easy for ptgui
                        >

                        > erwan

                      • Philipp B. Koch
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 12, 2009
                          I think he means shooting from inside the helicopter that led to
                          parallax: Having it turn around the 360°, and you shoot out of the
                          helicopter's door, you won't be within the nodal axis (or whatever you
                          prefer to call it) -- and thus have a lot of parallax.

                          Regards, Ph.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 12, 2009
                            If you are, lets say 150-200m high and the heli could manage a turn
                            around its axis, which should be easy with the control of the tail
                            rotor and there is not much wind which might drift the whole thing
                            off, an offset of the nodal axis of about 30m or a bit more is not a
                            problem in regard of parallax . If there is an open window I would
                            hold the cam in that window frame very slightly outside with a tilt
                            of lets say 30 degrees downwards and I would shoot as many picts as
                            possible during that 360 turn ( 15...25)

                            Well that is my theory... and it would be my approach to tackle the
                            problem. I gained my experience with several towershots with
                            sometimes a considerable offset from the axis.

                            On Apr 12, 2009, at 16:21, Philipp B. Koch wrote:

                            > I think he means shooting from inside the helicopter that led to
                            > parallax: Having it turn around the 360°, and you shoot out of the
                            > helicopter's door, you won't be within the nodal axis (or whatever you
                            > prefer to call it) -- and thus have a lot of parallax.
                            >
                            > Regards, Ph.

                          • Hans Nyberg
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 12, 2009
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

                              > If you are, lets say 150-200m high and the heli could manage a turn
                              > around its axis, which should be easy with the control of the tail
                              > rotor and there is not much wind which might drift the whole thing
                              > off, an offset of the nodal axis of about 30m or a bit more is not a
                              > problem in regard of parallax . If there is an open window I would
                              > hold the cam in that window frame very slightly outside with a tilt
                              > of lets say 30 degrees downwards and I would shoot as many picts as
                              > possible during that 360 turn ( 15...25)
                              >
                              > Well that is my theory... and it would be my approach to tackle the
                              > problem. I gained my experience with several towershots with
                              > sometimes a considerable offset from the axis.

                              Parallax is not the only problem when you are not in the correct entrance pupil.

                              Perspective also changes and that can not be corrected very easy. Maybe a carefull use of the viewpoint feature but I would use manual changes in Photoshop layers,

                              Hans
                            • helico56000
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 13, 2009
                                for me and my short experience in pano in helicopter

                                i just say that it's more easy more speed to take the photos with the pole under the helicopter, and more simple for ptgui to stich !

                                and more fast is good for me and my money
                                at 20 euros the minute of helicopter
                                i prefer this solution !

                                erwan
                              • AYRTON
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 14, 2009
                                  On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:37 AM, helico56000 <helico56000@...> wrote:

                                  > for me and my short experience in pano in helicopter

                                  your panos are just perfect !!!

                                  > i just say that it's more easy more speed to take the photos with the pole
                                  > under the helicopter, and more simple for ptgui to stich !

                                  how long was your pole ?

                                  I did this one in 2007 :
                                  <http://ayrton.com/360/archives/165>
                                  but wasn't long enough :-)

                                  > and more fast is good for me and my money
                                  > at 20 euros the minute of helicopter, i prefer this solution !

                                  here in Brazil is R$ 40 for minute
                                  what means in euros about $14

                                  congratulations

                                  salut
                                  AYRTON

                                  > erwan

                                  ------------
                                  | A Y R |
                                  | T O N |
                                  ------------

                                  + 55 21 9982 6313

                                  http://ayrton360.com
                                  http://rio.360cities.net
                                  http://vrfolio.com
                                  http://ayrton.com

                                • helico56000
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 14, 2009

                                    > your panos are just perfect !!!

                                    thanks Ayrton ;-)
                                    not so bad for a test !

                                    > how long was your pole ?
                                    the pole is 50cm under the landing skids
                                    it's a manfroto 434b
                                    look here
                                    http://www.f-56.com/360/pole.jpg

                                    salut Ayrton

                                    erwan
                                  • AYRTON
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 14, 2009
                                      On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:25 PM, helico56000 <helico56000@...> wrote:

                                      > > how long was your pole ?
                                      > the pole is 50cm under the landing skids
                                      > it's a manfroto 434b
                                      > look here
                                      > http://www.f-56.com/360/pole.jpg

                                      Merci mon ami pour la photo.

                                      Great view of how you place the camera and the pole.
                                      Thanks for sharing

                                      Salut
                                      AYRTON

                                      <http://www.f-56.com/360/pole.jpg>

                                      > salut Ayrton
                                      >

                                      > erwan

                                      ------------
                                      | A Y R |
                                      | T O N |
                                      ------------

                                      + 55 21 9982 6313

                                      http://ayrton360.com
                                      http://rio.360cities.net
                                      http://vrfolio.com
                                      http://ayrton.com

                                    • Bernd
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 15, 2009
                                        Hi Erwan,

                                        nice aerialpanos !!!
                                        And for a test and first try they're very good ;-)

                                        All the best
                                        Bernd
                                        http://www.360bilder.de

                                        > here are my first test of pano by helicopter
                                        > http://www.f-56.com/360/Visite.htm
                                        > 15 minutes of fly, 5 panos made with nikon d2x and 10.5 nikkor
                                      • Erwin Goasguen
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 15, 2009
                                          Nice work Erwan !

                                          I shot some aerial panos not far from where you shot yours.
                                          It may interest you, so here's the link => http://360d.fr/carte-interactive/
                                          (click on the left menu to access panos)

                                          Mine were shot from a blimp, so there not as aerial as yours.

                                          Nice shots again!
                                          Cheers,

                                          Erwin

                                          Bernd a écrit :

                                          > Hi Erwan,
                                          >
                                          > nice aerialpanos !!!
                                          > And for a test and first try they're very good ;-)
                                          >
                                          > All the best
                                          > Bernd
                                          > http://www.360bilder.de <http://www.360bilder.de>
                                          >
                                          > > here are my first test of pano by helicopter
                                          > > http://www.f-56.com/360/Visite.htm <http://www.f-56.com/360/Visite.htm>
                                          > > 15 minutes of fly, 5 panos made with nikon d2x and 10.5 nikkor

                                        • Rochy Liu
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 16, 2009
                                            I am afraid you need a device whick like google street view's,and other three Nikon d2x.Install it to your helicopter's ass,and you can
                                            remote control it by a switch.If you are interested in,i can supple some info of this.