Re: Mini Point and Shoot Cameras

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:

      > Roger D. Williams wrote:
      > > I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
      > > built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).
      >
      > Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?

      Many Panasonic compacts and also Ricoh have 24mm as standard today

      Hans
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Roger D. Williams wrote:
        > > > I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
        > > > built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).
        > >
        > > Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?
        > >

        > Many Panasonic compacts and also Ricoh have 24mm as standard today

        Panasonic and Leica has several starting at 24 or 25mm
        http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/
        http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Leica/

        Samsung just released some new ones with 24mm
        http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Samsung/

        Ricoh has the Capillo 100 and the newer 200 with 24mm and extra option for 19mm
        I have the older 100 which has everything manual you can wish including manual focus but unfortunately RAW is very slow. 6 sec before next shot. The lens is sharp and very little distortion but noise is high if you shoot anything above 100ISO
        http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Ricoh/

        Hans
      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
          On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 17:25:24 +0900, paul womack <pwomack@...>
          wrote:

          > Roger D. Williams wrote:
          >> I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
          >> built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).
          >
          > Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?

          Yes. One is made by Kodak, and specifically caters for panorama stitching
          within the camera. There are others on sale in Japan. Typically they go
          down to about 24 or 25mm, but this is quite a big difference. Every mm
          counts! Don't know about outside Japan, though.

          Roger W.

          --
          Work: www.adex-japan.com
        • bohonus
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:

            > Roger D. Williams wrote:
            > > I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
            > > built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).
            >
            > Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?
            >
            > BugBear

            The Kodak "Easy Share" camera (the one with two lenses) does 23mm. But it has been fairly unique in this regard.
          • Luca N Vascon
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
              _http://www.panoramio.com/photo/20391480_

              Nikon P6000 with FC-E8, hand held.
              I would not go for a camera with more than 10 megapixel.
              Horribly soft...
              I own also a Canon A640 that I LOVE.
              Not lower than 28 for a p&s... expecially if you want to fit an fce8.
              Canon A590 would be my choice.

              VERY curious about the new superfast casio.
              ANYONE TRIED?!

              --
              IUAV università degli studi, Venezia

              Dr. Luca Vascon
              tel . (+39) 041.2571262, e-mail vascon@...

              laboratorio multimedia Facoltà di Design e Arti, DADI
              Magazzino 7 ex Ligabue, Dorsoduro 1827 30123 Venezia
            • Paul Fretheim
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 3, 2009
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

                > Ricoh has the Capillo 100 and the newer 200 with 24mm and extra option
                > for 19mm
                > I have the older 100 which has everything manual you can wish
                > including manual focus but unfortunately RAW is very slow. 6 sec
                > before next shot. The lens is sharp and very little distortion but
                > noise is high if you shoot anything above 100ISO
                > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Ricoh/
                > <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Ricoh/>

                Thank you Hans. I will receive a Nikon S 710 today. It's widest
                setting is 28 mm, and it will require a firmware update if it is to
                record in RAW mode. I haven't found such an upgrade yet.

                I had a Fujifilm Finepix F100fd for a week or so, but returned it
                because the "manual mode" in the product descriptions did not include
                exposure control, which made it unusable as far as I was concerned for
                pano work. Also there was an unacceptable amount of noise in most
                images, and the higher iso settings (up to 6400) were terribly noisy.

                If the Nikon proves unworkable now I have another option - the Ricoh
                cameras that I had not considered. I was just reading a review of the
                Ricoh Caplio GX200 and it looks like an interesting camera. The
                Fujifilm model was $163, after rebate. The Nikon was $251 at Adorama.
                The Ricoh is $499. The detachable viewfinder of the Caplio GX200 is an
                intriguing feature. It attaches to the flash shoe and the image is
                through the lens, but transmitted electronically from the sensor, not
                via a mirror.

                One reviewer of the Caplio GX200 remarked that all SLR cameras should
                use this technology and do away with the vibration and noise of a mirror
                permanently. Sounds like a good idea.

                The description of the Caplio GX200 also referred to a 19 mm capability
                in the correction features of the firmware. There may be an optional
                lens of some kind that goes to 19 mm, I haven't researched that yet.

                Paul