Re: [PanoToolsNG] Mini Point and Shoot Cameras

  • paul womack
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
      Roger D. Williams wrote:
      > I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
      > built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).

      Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?

      BugBear
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:

        > Roger D. Williams wrote:
        > > I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
        > > built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).
        >
        > Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?
        >
        > BugBear

        yes the GoPro Hero Wide, that I wrote about before
        http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=1
        has the equivalent of a 16mm full frame fisheye lens ... but its AE only, AWB only, full aperture only, and so so dynamic range, features .. limit its
        panoramic usefulness -- but it is the size of a matchbox and it comes with a nice lens you can fit to other M12 mount cameras

        Peter M
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:

          > Roger D. Williams wrote:
          > > I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
          > > built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).
          >
          > Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?

          Many Panasonic compacts and also Ricoh have 24mm as standard today

          Hans
        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Roger D. Williams wrote:
            > > > I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
            > > > built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).
            > >
            > > Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?
            > >

            > Many Panasonic compacts and also Ricoh have 24mm as standard today

            Panasonic and Leica has several starting at 24 or 25mm
            http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/
            http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Leica/

            Samsung just released some new ones with 24mm
            http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Samsung/

            Ricoh has the Capillo 100 and the newer 200 with 24mm and extra option for 19mm
            I have the older 100 which has everything manual you can wish including manual focus but unfortunately RAW is very slow. 6 sec before next shot. The lens is sharp and very little distortion but noise is high if you shoot anything above 100ISO
            http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Ricoh/

            Hans
          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
              On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 17:25:24 +0900, paul womack <pwomack@...>
              wrote:

              > Roger D. Williams wrote:
              >> I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
              >> built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).
              >
              > Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?

              Yes. One is made by Kodak, and specifically caters for panorama stitching
              within the camera. There are others on sale in Japan. Typically they go
              down to about 24 or 25mm, but this is quite a big difference. Every mm
              counts! Don't know about outside Japan, though.

              Roger W.

              --
              Work: www.adex-japan.com
            • bohonus
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:

                > Roger D. Williams wrote:
                > > I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
                > > built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).
                >
                > Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?
                >
                > BugBear

                The Kodak "Easy Share" camera (the one with two lenses) does 23mm. But it has been fairly unique in this regard.
              • Luca N Vascon
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
                  _http://www.panoramio.com/photo/20391480_

                  Nikon P6000 with FC-E8, hand held.
                  I would not go for a camera with more than 10 megapixel.
                  Horribly soft...
                  I own also a Canon A640 that I LOVE.
                  Not lower than 28 for a p&s... expecially if you want to fit an fce8.
                  Canon A590 would be my choice.

                  VERY curious about the new superfast casio.
                  ANYONE TRIED?!

                  --
                  IUAV università degli studi, Venezia

                  Dr. Luca Vascon
                  tel . (+39) 041.2571262, e-mail vascon@...

                  laboratorio multimedia Facoltà di Design e Arti, DADI
                  Magazzino 7 ex Ligabue, Dorsoduro 1827 30123 Venezia
                • Paul Fretheim
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 3, 2009
                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

                    > Ricoh has the Capillo 100 and the newer 200 with 24mm and extra option
                    > for 19mm
                    > I have the older 100 which has everything manual you can wish
                    > including manual focus but unfortunately RAW is very slow. 6 sec
                    > before next shot. The lens is sharp and very little distortion but
                    > noise is high if you shoot anything above 100ISO
                    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Ricoh/
                    > <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Ricoh/>

                    Thank you Hans. I will receive a Nikon S 710 today. It's widest
                    setting is 28 mm, and it will require a firmware update if it is to
                    record in RAW mode. I haven't found such an upgrade yet.

                    I had a Fujifilm Finepix F100fd for a week or so, but returned it
                    because the "manual mode" in the product descriptions did not include
                    exposure control, which made it unusable as far as I was concerned for
                    pano work. Also there was an unacceptable amount of noise in most
                    images, and the higher iso settings (up to 6400) were terribly noisy.

                    If the Nikon proves unworkable now I have another option - the Ricoh
                    cameras that I had not considered. I was just reading a review of the
                    Ricoh Caplio GX200 and it looks like an interesting camera. The
                    Fujifilm model was $163, after rebate. The Nikon was $251 at Adorama.
                    The Ricoh is $499. The detachable viewfinder of the Caplio GX200 is an
                    intriguing feature. It attaches to the flash shoe and the image is
                    through the lens, but transmitted electronically from the sensor, not
                    via a mirror.

                    One reviewer of the Caplio GX200 remarked that all SLR cameras should
                    use this technology and do away with the vibration and noise of a mirror
                    permanently. Sounds like a good idea.

                    The description of the Caplio GX200 also referred to a 19 mm capability
                    in the correction features of the firmware. There may be an optional
                    lens of some kind that goes to 19 mm, I haven't researched that yet.

                    Paul