Re: [PanoToolsNG] huuuuge panohead :-)

  • Paul Trippett
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
      Never thought about that before, ignorance is bliss. I guess its like your
      camera and tripod is moving at 35,000 miles an hour and your trying to focus
      on a pin head a mile away :/

      On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Fabio Bustamante <
      contato@...> wrote:

      > This photo left me thinking...
      >
      > I suppose telescopes may request some considerably long exposures to
      > shoot stars, galaxies, etc. They must need an extremely precise
      > gyroscope system to stop all rotations and get an absolutely steady
      > image. Sometimes we have trouble steading long objectives even with
      > tripods... imagine how hard it must be to get a steady shot in the
      > telescope scale!
      >

      > Carl von Einem wrote:
      > > Is that a pinhole camera?
      > > <http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap090401.html>
      > > ;-)

    • paul womack
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2009
        Fabio Bustamante wrote:
        > This photo left me thinking...
        >
        > I suppose telescopes may request some considerably long exposures to
        > shoot stars, galaxies, etc. They must need an extremely precise
        > gyroscope system to stop all rotations and get an absolutely steady
        > image.

        Since the rotation of the earth is known, they either
        use a fixed "clockwork" (normally a very precise worm wheel
        and drive) or are "guided".

        This is done by pointing a guide telescope (on the same mount
        as the "real" telescope) at a nice bright star,
        and using a feedback loop (on the scope drive) to keep the bright
        star fixed.

        This allows long exposures on stars (and other things) which are
        not so bright.

        BugBear