Re: [PanoToolsNG] huuuuge panohead :-)

  • Fabio Bustamante
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
      This photo left me thinking...

      I suppose telescopes may request some considerably long exposures to
      shoot stars, galaxies, etc. They must need an extremely precise
      gyroscope system to stop all rotations and get an absolutely steady
      image. Sometimes we have trouble steading long objectives even with
      tripods... imagine how hard it must be to get a steady shot in the
      telescope scale!

      Carl von Einem wrote:
      > Is that a pinhole camera?
      > <http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap090401.html>
      > ;-)
      >

      > ------------------------------------

    • Paul Trippett
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
        Never thought about that before, ignorance is bliss. I guess its like your
        camera and tripod is moving at 35,000 miles an hour and your trying to focus
        on a pin head a mile away :/

        On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Fabio Bustamante <
        contato@...> wrote:

        > This photo left me thinking...
        >
        > I suppose telescopes may request some considerably long exposures to
        > shoot stars, galaxies, etc. They must need an extremely precise
        > gyroscope system to stop all rotations and get an absolutely steady
        > image. Sometimes we have trouble steading long objectives even with
        > tripods... imagine how hard it must be to get a steady shot in the
        > telescope scale!
        >

        > Carl von Einem wrote:
        > > Is that a pinhole camera?
        > > <http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap090401.html>
        > > ;-)

      • paul womack
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2009
          Fabio Bustamante wrote:
          > This photo left me thinking...
          >
          > I suppose telescopes may request some considerably long exposures to
          > shoot stars, galaxies, etc. They must need an extremely precise
          > gyroscope system to stop all rotations and get an absolutely steady
          > image.

          Since the rotation of the earth is known, they either
          use a fixed "clockwork" (normally a very precise worm wheel
          and drive) or are "guided".

          This is done by pointing a guide telescope (on the same mount
          as the "real" telescope) at a nice bright star,
          and using a feedback loop (on the scope drive) to keep the bright
          star fixed.

          This allows long exposures on stars (and other things) which are
          not so bright.

          BugBear