Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Mini Point and Shoot Cameras

Expand Messages
  • Ken Warner
    Why did you decide on the SD800?
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 1, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      Why did you decide on the SD800?

      Roger D. Williams wrote:
      > On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 03:56:11 +0900, bohonus <bradford@...> wrote:
      >
      >
      >>Opteka makes a bunch of different wide angle and fisheye lenses for
      >>point & shoots. I have a fisheye coming today that I ordered for my
      >>little Canon SD800.
      >>
      >>I have CHDK loaded on the SD800 to give me things like raw, exposure
      >>bracketing, focus bracketing etc. The initial tests have gone well. Now
      >>all that is left is to see how much the fisheye will trash the quality
      >>of the images, and to what degree post production can bring it back.
      >>Hopefully, I may be able to still get something reasonable out of it! :)
      >
      >
      > Do keep us posted and show us your results.
      >
      > Roger W.
      >
    • bohonus
      ... I already had an SD800 (for non-vr personal snapshots etc), and it was something on which I could try out CHDK as well. When CHDK is ported to the new
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 1, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
        >
        > Why did you decide on the SD800?


        I already had an SD800 (for non-vr personal snapshots etc), and it was something on which I could try out CHDK as well. When CHDK is ported to the new SD990 (14MP), that might be worth a look too.

        I have been experimenting with the SD800 & Opteka fisheye the past few days. So far the results are interesting and one can certainly make a VR using this combo. The quality of the lens of course leaves much to be desired, which certainly effects the final VR. A Nikon/Canon/Sigma fisheye it certainly is not! lol! :)

        I still need to figure out a simple and compact way to accurately rotate the camera for taking the shots. I have just been "eyeballing it" up until now and it is effecting the stitching of course.

        When I have some completed VR images that aren't of me staring at the camera in my boring livingroom (we have had ongoing cold & rainy weather here in Seattle) I will certainly post them.

        The bracketing (& RAW) functions provided by CHDK really helps clean up the images by reducing noise and extending the dynamic range of the SD800.

        But that lens... uughh.. like someone smeared Vaseline all over it! (especially the edges). It is like I am shooting VR with a Holga. Quite a jump going from that to the Panoscan to say the least ;)

        There's an "Opteka" group on flickr if any of you wish to see more of what this lens produces before I can get anything posted up here.

        -b


        > Roger D. Williams wrote:
        > > On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 03:56:11 +0900, bohonus <bradford@...> wrote:
        > >
        > >
        > >>Opteka makes a bunch of different wide angle and fisheye lenses for
        > >>point & shoots. I have a fisheye coming today that I ordered for my
        > >>little Canon SD800.
        > >>
        > >>I have CHDK loaded on the SD800 to give me things like raw, exposure
        > >>bracketing, focus bracketing etc. The initial tests have gone well. Now
        > >>all that is left is to see how much the fisheye will trash the quality
        > >>of the images, and to what degree post production can bring it back.
        > >>Hopefully, I may be able to still get something reasonable out of it! :)
        > >
        > >
        > > Do keep us posted and show us your results.
        > >
        > > Roger W.
        > >
        >
      • Jeffrey Martin
        But that lens... uughh.. like someone smeared Vaseline all over it! ... Then why on earth are you using this sub-quality setup in the first place? Jeffrey
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          But that lens... uughh.. like someone smeared Vaseline all over it!
          > (especially the edges). It is like I am shooting VR with a Holga. Quite a
          > jump going from that to the Panoscan to say the least ;)
          >

          Then why on earth are you using this sub-quality setup in the first place?



          Jeffrey Martin

          www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
          tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin /
          http://twitter.com/360cities


          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • paul womack
          ... Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower? BugBear
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            Roger D. Williams wrote:
            > I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
            > built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).

            Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?

            BugBear
          • panovrx
            ... yes the GoPro Hero Wide, that I wrote about before http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=1 has the equivalent of a 16mm full frame fisheye
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:
              >
              > Roger D. Williams wrote:
              > > I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
              > > built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).
              >
              > Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?
              >
              > BugBear
              >

              yes the GoPro Hero Wide, that I wrote about before
              http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=1
              has the equivalent of a 16mm full frame fisheye lens ... but its AE only, AWB only, full aperture only, and so so dynamic range, features .. limit its
              panoramic usefulness -- but it is the size of a matchbox and it comes with a nice lens you can fit to other M12 mount cameras

              Peter M
            • Hans Nyberg
              ... Many Panasonic compacts and also Ricoh have 24mm as standard today Hans
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:
                >
                > Roger D. Williams wrote:
                > > I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
                > > built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).
                >
                > Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?
                >

                Many Panasonic compacts and also Ricoh have 24mm as standard today

                Hans
              • Hans Nyberg
                ... Panasonic and Leica has several starting at 24 or 25mm http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/ http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Leica/
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Roger D. Williams wrote:
                  > > > I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
                  > > > built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).
                  > >
                  > > Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?
                  > >
                  >
                  > Many Panasonic compacts and also Ricoh have 24mm as standard today
                  >

                  Panasonic and Leica has several starting at 24 or 25mm
                  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/
                  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Leica/

                  Samsung just released some new ones with 24mm
                  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Samsung/

                  Ricoh has the Capillo 100 and the newer 200 with 24mm and extra option for 19mm
                  I have the older 100 which has everything manual you can wish including manual focus but unfortunately RAW is very slow. 6 sec before next shot. The lens is sharp and very little distortion but noise is high if you shoot anything above 100ISO
                  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Ricoh/

                  Hans
                • Roger D. Williams
                  On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 17:25:24 +0900, paul womack ... Yes. One is made by Kodak, and specifically caters for panorama stitching within
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 17:25:24 +0900, paul womack <pwomack@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Roger D. Williams wrote:
                    >> I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
                    >> built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).
                    >
                    > Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?

                    Yes. One is made by Kodak, and specifically caters for panorama stitching
                    within the camera. There are others on sale in Japan. Typically they go
                    down to about 24 or 25mm, but this is quite a big difference. Every mm
                    counts! Don't know about outside Japan, though.

                    Roger W.

                    --
                    Work: www.adex-japan.com
                  • bohonus
                    ... The Kodak Easy Share camera (the one with two lenses) does 23mm. But it has been fairly unique in this regard.
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Roger D. Williams wrote:
                      > > I was a bit disappointed to see that the range of focal lengths in the
                      > > built-in zoom only goes down to 28mm (equivalent).
                      >
                      > Do you know of ANY non-interchangeable lens camera that goes lower?
                      >
                      > BugBear

                      The Kodak "Easy Share" camera (the one with two lenses) does 23mm. But it has been fairly unique in this regard.
                    • Luca N Vascon
                      _http://www.panoramio.com/photo/20391480_ Nikon P6000 with FC-E8, hand held. I would not go for a camera with more than 10 megapixel. Horribly soft... I own
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 2, 2009
                      • 0 Attachment
                        _http://www.panoramio.com/photo/20391480_

                        Nikon P6000 with FC-E8, hand held.
                        I would not go for a camera with more than 10 megapixel.
                        Horribly soft...
                        I own also a Canon A640 that I LOVE.
                        Not lower than 28 for a p&s... expecially if you want to fit an fce8.
                        Canon A590 would be my choice.

                        VERY curious about the new superfast casio.
                        ANYONE TRIED?!


                        bohonus ha scritto:
                        >
                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Why did you decide on the SD800?
                        >
                        > I already had an SD800 (for non-vr personal snapshots etc), and it was
                        > something on which I could try out CHDK as well. When CHDK is ported
                        > to the new SD990 (14MP), that might be worth a look too.
                        >
                        > I have been experimenting with the SD800 & Opteka fisheye the past few
                        > days. So far the results are interesting and one can certainly make a
                        > VR using this combo. The quality of the lens of course leaves much to
                        > be desired, which certainly effects the final VR. A Nikon/Canon/Sigma
                        > fisheye it certainly is not! lol! :)
                        >
                        > I still need to figure out a simple and compact way to accurately
                        > rotate the camera for taking the shots. I have just been "eyeballing
                        > it" up until now and it is effecting the stitching of course.
                        >
                        > When I have some completed VR images that aren't of me staring at the
                        > camera in my boring livingroom (we have had ongoing cold & rainy
                        > weather here in Seattle) I will certainly post them.
                        >
                        > The bracketing (& RAW) functions provided by CHDK really helps clean
                        > up the images by reducing noise and extending the dynamic range of the
                        > SD800.
                        >
                        > But that lens... uughh.. like someone smeared Vaseline all over it!
                        > (especially the edges). It is like I am shooting VR with a Holga.
                        > Quite a jump going from that to the Panoscan to say the least ;)
                        >
                        > There's an "Opteka" group on flickr if any of you wish to see more of
                        > what this lens produces before I can get anything posted up here.
                        >
                        > -b
                        >
                        > > Roger D. Williams wrote:
                        > > > On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 03:56:11 +0900, bohonus <bradford@...> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > >
                        > > >>Opteka makes a bunch of different wide angle and fisheye lenses for
                        > > >>point & shoots. I have a fisheye coming today that I ordered for my
                        > > >>little Canon SD800.
                        > > >>
                        > > >>I have CHDK loaded on the SD800 to give me things like raw, exposure
                        > > >>bracketing, focus bracketing etc. The initial tests have gone
                        > well. Now
                        > > >>all that is left is to see how much the fisheye will trash the
                        > quality
                        > > >>of the images, and to what degree post production can bring it back.
                        > > >>Hopefully, I may be able to still get something reasonable out of
                        > it! :)
                        > > >
                        > > >
                        > > > Do keep us posted and show us your results.
                        > > >
                        > > > Roger W.
                        > > >
                        > >
                        >
                        >

                        --
                        IUAV università degli studi, Venezia

                        Dr. Luca Vascon
                        tel . (+39) 041.2571262, e-mail vascon@...

                        laboratorio multimedia Facoltà di Design e Arti, DADI
                        Magazzino 7 ex Ligabue, Dorsoduro 1827 30123 Venezia
                      • Paul Fretheim
                        ... Thank you Hans. I will receive a Nikon S 710 today. It s widest setting is 28 mm, and it will require a firmware update if it is to record in RAW mode.
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 3, 2009
                        • 0 Attachment
                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                          > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

                          > Ricoh has the Capillo 100 and the newer 200 with 24mm and extra option
                          > for 19mm
                          > I have the older 100 which has everything manual you can wish
                          > including manual focus but unfortunately RAW is very slow. 6 sec
                          > before next shot. The lens is sharp and very little distortion but
                          > noise is high if you shoot anything above 100ISO
                          > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Ricoh/
                          > <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Ricoh/>

                          Thank you Hans. I will receive a Nikon S 710 today. It's widest
                          setting is 28 mm, and it will require a firmware update if it is to
                          record in RAW mode. I haven't found such an upgrade yet.

                          I had a Fujifilm Finepix F100fd for a week or so, but returned it
                          because the "manual mode" in the product descriptions did not include
                          exposure control, which made it unusable as far as I was concerned for
                          pano work. Also there was an unacceptable amount of noise in most
                          images, and the higher iso settings (up to 6400) were terribly noisy.

                          If the Nikon proves unworkable now I have another option - the Ricoh
                          cameras that I had not considered. I was just reading a review of the
                          Ricoh Caplio GX200 and it looks like an interesting camera. The
                          Fujifilm model was $163, after rebate. The Nikon was $251 at Adorama.
                          The Ricoh is $499. The detachable viewfinder of the Caplio GX200 is an
                          intriguing feature. It attaches to the flash shoe and the image is
                          through the lens, but transmitted electronically from the sensor, not
                          via a mirror.

                          One reviewer of the Caplio GX200 remarked that all SLR cameras should
                          use this technology and do away with the vibration and noise of a mirror
                          permanently. Sounds like a good idea.

                          The description of the Caplio GX200 also referred to a 19 mm capability
                          in the correction features of the firmware. There may be an optional
                          lens of some kind that goes to 19 mm, I haven't researched that yet.

                          Paul
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.