Shooting persons at dark rooms

  • Gerald Lodron
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 10:27 AM
      I have another question:

      When I shoot in buildings where the illumination is very bad, how can I make images from humans? When I shoot with my fisheye I need very long explosure times and the faces becomes very unsharp. I already shoot with ISO800 and a tripod but the images are bad. I cannot use a flash because then the 180 degree fisheyeimages are badly illuminated (no flash can illuminate 180 degrees, it looks like vignetting). Are there any tricks I do not know yet?

      best regards

    • ptgroup
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 10:38 AM
        Hi Gerald,
        use a flash.
        I used a DPZ 38, a real cheap one, in manual mode.
        Bouncer pushed over an set MANUAL 24mm and to 1/4-1/8 of it�s power.
        App. 45� up and 5-10- away from the camera.

        Works well with Sigma 8mm // Canon 40D.
        Just play a little.
        Ciao
        M;ke
        360� VR Fotografie:
        http://www.360de.de

        NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
        http://www.abstraktfoto.de
        -----------------------------
        -----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1 11:32 AM
          hmm, i have the Nikon SB900, a quite good flash i think. But I always get the middle/the person overexposured and the background underexposured. I alswasy worked in automatik mode but i will try it, thanks

          ________________________________

          When I shoot in buildings where the illumination is very bad, how can I
          make images from humans? When I shoot with my fisheye I need very long
          explosure times and the faces becomes very unsharp. I already shoot with
          ISO800 and a tripod but the images are bad. I cannot use a flash because
          then the 180 degree fisheyeimages are badly illuminated (no flash can
          illuminate 180 degrees, it looks like vignetting). Are there any tricks I do
          not know yet?

          best regards

          ------------------------------------

        • Eduardo Hutter
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1 11:47 AM
            Like Eric said, bounce it to the ceiling which should be ok if the
            ceiling is not very high or dark. A well balanced combination of low
            speed and bounced flash should get you a good set of photos. You can
            also use a diffuser over your sb900, personally I like it better and is
            more efficient concerning your batteries. Check your dealer for Gary
            Fong - http://tinyurl.com/dypzbt - there are others of course but this
            one is really nice. There's one thing about it though: it's bulky.

            cheers

            Eduardo

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1 11:54 AM

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1 1:21 PM
                sounds interesting, i will have a look at that, thanks

                ________________________________
                Like Eric said, bounce it to the ceiling which should be ok if the
                ceiling is not very high or dark. A well balanced combination of low
                speed and bounced flash should get you a good set of photos. You can
                also use a diffuser over your sb900, personally I like it better and is
                more efficient concerning your batteries. Check your dealer for Gary
                Fong - http://tinyurl. com/dypzbt - there are others of course but this
                one is really nice. There's one thing about it though: it's bulky.

                cheers

                Eduardo

                * Erik Krause wrote, On 01/04/2009 3:54 PM:

                > Gerald Lodron wrote:
                >
                > > I cannot use a flash because then the 180 degree fisheyeimages are
                > > badly illuminated (no flash can illuminate 180 degrees, it looks
                > > like vignetting).
                >
                > You can't use it directly, but you can use indirect flash. Point the
                > flash at the ceiling behind the camera (ceiling must be white!) or
                > point it at a reflector (white cardboard, styrofoam or alike) behind
                > the camera. You need a more powerful flash of course...
                >
                > Direct flash is no good idea, not even for conventional
                > photography. ..
                >
                > -- Erik Krause http://www.erik-krause.de http://www.erik- krause.de>

              • Keith Martin
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1 1:31 PM
                  Sometime around 1/4/09 (at 15:47 -0300) Eduardo Hutter said:

                  >Check your dealer for Gary
                  >Fong - http://tinyurl.com/dypzbt - there are others of course but this
                  >one is really nice. There's one thing about it though: it's bulky.

                  It can be squashed into pockets in bags, but yes, it is a bit bulky.
                  The other thing about it is that people wonder why you have your
                  tupperware lunchbox stuck on your flash. But man, the results are
                  worth the teasing. :-)