Re: Field of view question

  • Carl von Einem
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2009
      I use my 12 mm rectilinear lens (Voigtländer Heliar, now on a very nice
      Zeiss-Ikon SW) like this:
      6x -20°, 4x +45°, plus zenith and nadir shots
      However the 14 mm is closer to my 15 mm which I use rarely (for no real
      reason).

      Another comparable rectilinear lens is the 43 mm of my Mamiya 7II which
      is comparable to 20 or 21 mm (different w/h ratio). With that lens I
      shoot 7x -35°, 7x 25°, zenith and nadir. BTW my rotator has seven click
      stops :-)

      8 clicks around / 2 rows would easily work with a 14 mm lens. Plus z&n.

      The easiest way to find a good "matrix" of shots that has enough overlap
      is to use dummy images in hugin or ptgui. I also have a habit of trying
      to start with the lower row in a way so it doesn't include my rotator.
      Less work to mask unwanted details... just calculate enough overlap for
      the upper row and start shooting. Hey, the D3 is a DSLR! =8-)

      Carl

      Posted by: "Harry van der Wolf"

      > check <http://imaginatorium.org/stuff/angle.htm>
      >
      > So for a 14 mm rectilinear in portrait mode, you have a hfov of 81 degrees
      > (remember: in portrait mode) and with 30% overlap (approx. 50 degrees hfov),
      > you would need 7+, preferably 8 images around. Probably 2 rows.
      > one shot for nadir and zenith with 2 horizontal rows in portrait?
      > 2x2 shots for nadir and zenith with 1 horizontal row in portrait?
      >
      > 2009/3/31 Keith Martin <keith@...>
      >
      >> > I've just been asked how the field of view compares between a Nikkor
      >> > 14-24 f2.8 fx lens and a 16mm fisheye. This is on a full-frame
      >> > camera, the Nikon D3.
      >> >
      >> > This guy is trying out his first panos, but he's using that 14-24mm
      >> > wideangle rectilinear lens. Assuming he uses it at 14mm, how many
      >> > shots around is he likely to need, and how much work would it be to
      >> > make a spherical pano?
    • Klaus Hilsenbeck
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 31, 2009

        > I've just been asked how the field of view compares between a Nikkor
        > 14-24 f2.8 fx lens and a 16mm fisheye......
        > ..... how many shots around is he likely to need,
        > and how much work would it be to make a spherical pano?

        You may have a look at this lens database (unfortunately discontinued):
        http://vrwave.com
        This is a source I like very much.
        (should be continued by somebody ....)

        Salu2,