[PanoToolsNG] Re: Field of view question

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31 3:02 PM
      Sometime around 31/3/09 (at 20:41 +0200) Erik Krause said:

      >Since the 16mm fisheye uses a different mapping it covers a far larger
      >FoV than the rectilinear lens.

      Exactly, hence the question. :-) Thanks for the fov_pan_calc link,
      that is interesting and looks like it has everything... although I
      have to say that it is presented in a rather dauntingly (dare I say
      unhelpfully?) technical manner! Heh- I guess that's the nature of the
      subject, eh?

      Harry's post and link to the imaginatorium.org page was also useful;
      I think a couple of rows of 8 around will be the next thing for this
      chap to try, then see how much z & n space is left.

      Thanks all!

    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 31 3:04 PM
        Superb detail, thanks Scott.

      • Carl von Einem
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 31 3:30 PM
          I use my 12 mm rectilinear lens (Voigtländer Heliar, now on a very nice
          Zeiss-Ikon SW) like this:
          6x -20°, 4x +45°, plus zenith and nadir shots
          However the 14 mm is closer to my 15 mm which I use rarely (for no real
          reason).

          Another comparable rectilinear lens is the 43 mm of my Mamiya 7II which
          is comparable to 20 or 21 mm (different w/h ratio). With that lens I
          shoot 7x -35°, 7x 25°, zenith and nadir. BTW my rotator has seven click
          stops :-)

          8 clicks around / 2 rows would easily work with a 14 mm lens. Plus z&n.

          The easiest way to find a good "matrix" of shots that has enough overlap
          is to use dummy images in hugin or ptgui. I also have a habit of trying
          to start with the lower row in a way so it doesn't include my rotator.
          Less work to mask unwanted details... just calculate enough overlap for
          the upper row and start shooting. Hey, the D3 is a DSLR! =8-)

          Carl

          Posted by: "Harry van der Wolf"

          > check <http://imaginatorium.org/stuff/angle.htm>
          >
          > So for a 14 mm rectilinear in portrait mode, you have a hfov of 81 degrees
          > (remember: in portrait mode) and with 30% overlap (approx. 50 degrees hfov),
          > you would need 7+, preferably 8 images around. Probably 2 rows.
          > one shot for nadir and zenith with 2 horizontal rows in portrait?
          > 2x2 shots for nadir and zenith with 1 horizontal row in portrait?
          >
          > 2009/3/31 Keith Martin <keith@...>
          >
          >> > I've just been asked how the field of view compares between a Nikkor
          >> > 14-24 f2.8 fx lens and a 16mm fisheye. This is on a full-frame
          >> > camera, the Nikon D3.
          >> >
          >> > This guy is trying out his first panos, but he's using that 14-24mm
          >> > wideangle rectilinear lens. Assuming he uses it at 14mm, how many
          >> > shots around is he likely to need, and how much work would it be to
          >> > make a spherical pano?
        • Klaus Hilsenbeck
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 31 4:37 PM

            > I've just been asked how the field of view compares between a Nikkor
            > 14-24 f2.8 fx lens and a 16mm fisheye......
            > ..... how many shots around is he likely to need,
            > and how much work would it be to make a spherical pano?

            You may have a look at this lens database (unfortunately discontinued):
            http://vrwave.com
            This is a source I like very much.
            (should be continued by somebody ....)

            Salu2,