Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Custom build panorama camera

  • michel thoby
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31 7:10 AM
      Inspired by Dan who pioneered along while back, I tried last year
      with somewhat more recent gear. I have found that two-shots panoramas
      can be actually stitched fine as long as no subject is really very
      close.
      I wanted to evaluate a way to do "simultaneous two-shots" but
      unfortunately the camera I used obviously doesn't meet the
      requirement;-(
      http://michel.thoby.free.fr/DuoPix/DuoPix_solution.html
      Quite promising anyhow.

      Regards,

      Michel Thoby
      Le 31 mars 09 à 15:29, Jim Watters a écrit :

      > tom_a_sparks wrote:
      > > could anybody explain the exact requirements needed?
      > > for 2 fisheye setup
      > >
      > What about Dan Slater's Spherecam
      > http://www.nearfield.com/~dan/photo/wide/sphere/index.htm
      >
      > Jim Watters

    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 31 8:05 AM

        > tom_a_sparks wrote:
        > > could anybody explain the exact requirements needed?
        > > for 2 fisheye setup
        > >
        > What about Dan Slater's Spherecam
        > http://www.nearfield.com/~dan/photo/wide/sphere/index.htm
        >
        > Jim Watters

        If you want a 2 camera spherical solution that is generally useful the NPPs of the two lenses have to be I think no more than say 6cm apart. I have shot 360 panoramic movies with two Canon5Ds with 10.5mm Nikkors and the results are only ok down to about 3m

        Which points towards compact (tethered) sensors and mini-fisheye lenses. It is interesting that the Ephels can be configured with tethered sensors
        http://community.elphel.com/pictures/elphel354-10-open.jpg. There are very flat compact (tethered) sensors now but there is a dearth of full featured micro fisheye lenses. the Sunex range is ok, and the fisheye lens that comes with the Gopro Wide is nice but they lack aperture control

        Custom fisheye cameras with fisheye prime lenses make more sense I think for single lens video fisheye work where compactness is not so critical. Then you can use cameras like the Sumix 2/3 caamera,and the Fujinon fisheyes

        http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/alternative-imaging-methods/104870-sumix-2-3-1920x1080-cmos.html

        Peter M
      • Luca N Vascon
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 31 9:12 AM
          THANX!
          It was the result of one year of mad tests...
          IF you use it with a Nikon (or other 1.5x at least) the overlap is
          enough to ensure a very, very good stitching.
          You can expect some errors and some discontinuity, but if you optimize
          also POINT OF VIEW (Ptgui pro 8.0) and use smartblend you can say that
          those error are minimized.
          You can also (after a proper renaming of folder) have a batch building
          (not levelling!) of all panos made that day.
          No control points nor optimization required.
          I think once you forget nadir perfection and you let some stitching
          errors go, you can use the thing within a 6 mts tolerance, going down to
          4 with wise orientation of the 3 cameras, smartblend and POV optimizing.
          No miracles, but some nice result!
          Would like to try with 3 shaved 10.5 on 5d or D700...