Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Custom build panorama camera

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31, 2009
      tom_a_sparks wrote:
      > could anybody explain the exact requirements needed?
      > for 2 fisheye setup

      What about Dan Slater's Spherecam
      http://www.nearfield.com/~dan/photo/wide/sphere/index.htm

      Jim Watters
    • Luca N Vascon
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 31, 2009
        http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wS40_s20yY4/RcbiYjM22gI/AAAAAAAAACo/_ZCHnLROW6E/s1600-h/mrotatorr_01_ing.gif
        :-))
        Want to know the incredible thing? It WORKS
        About ephel cameras...
        Would be VERY interesting for me knowing what kind of lenses I can throw
        in, dimensions of the chips, resolution, and how to build a 3 cameras
        solution!!
        :-DDD

        Keith Martin ha scritto:

        > >how many of you would want to buy one?
        >
        > It sounds like a fun thing - but count me out.

      • michel thoby
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 31, 2009
          Inspired by Dan who pioneered along while back, I tried last year
          with somewhat more recent gear. I have found that two-shots panoramas
          can be actually stitched fine as long as no subject is really very
          close.
          I wanted to evaluate a way to do "simultaneous two-shots" but
          unfortunately the camera I used obviously doesn't meet the
          requirement;-(
          http://michel.thoby.free.fr/DuoPix/DuoPix_solution.html
          Quite promising anyhow.

          Regards,

          Michel Thoby
          Le 31 mars 09 à 15:29, Jim Watters a écrit :

          > tom_a_sparks wrote:
          > > could anybody explain the exact requirements needed?
          > > for 2 fisheye setup
          > >
          > What about Dan Slater's Spherecam
          > http://www.nearfield.com/~dan/photo/wide/sphere/index.htm
          >
          > Jim Watters

        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 31, 2009
            Sometime around 31/3/09 (at 15:55 +0200) Luca N Vascon said:

            >http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wS40_s20yY4/RcbiYjM22gI/AAAAAAAAACo/_ZCHnLROW6E/s1600-h/mrotatorr_01_ing.gif
            >:-))
            >Want to know the incredible thing? It WORKS

            Yep, that was always one heck of a construction. But would it work
            perfectly in a critical close-quarters situation? Unless we've all
            been fooling ourselves with 'nodal nonsense' then I think not...

            Still impressive engineering though. :-)

          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 31, 2009

              > tom_a_sparks wrote:
              > > could anybody explain the exact requirements needed?
              > > for 2 fisheye setup
              > >
              > What about Dan Slater's Spherecam
              > http://www.nearfield.com/~dan/photo/wide/sphere/index.htm
              >
              > Jim Watters

              If you want a 2 camera spherical solution that is generally useful the NPPs of the two lenses have to be I think no more than say 6cm apart. I have shot 360 panoramic movies with two Canon5Ds with 10.5mm Nikkors and the results are only ok down to about 3m

              Which points towards compact (tethered) sensors and mini-fisheye lenses. It is interesting that the Ephels can be configured with tethered sensors
              http://community.elphel.com/pictures/elphel354-10-open.jpg. There are very flat compact (tethered) sensors now but there is a dearth of full featured micro fisheye lenses. the Sunex range is ok, and the fisheye lens that comes with the Gopro Wide is nice but they lack aperture control

              Custom fisheye cameras with fisheye prime lenses make more sense I think for single lens video fisheye work where compactness is not so critical. Then you can use cameras like the Sumix 2/3 caamera,and the Fujinon fisheyes

              http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/alternative-imaging-methods/104870-sumix-2-3-1920x1080-cmos.html

              Peter M
            • Luca N Vascon
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 31, 2009
                THANX!
                It was the result of one year of mad tests...
                IF you use it with a Nikon (or other 1.5x at least) the overlap is
                enough to ensure a very, very good stitching.
                You can expect some errors and some discontinuity, but if you optimize
                also POINT OF VIEW (Ptgui pro 8.0) and use smartblend you can say that
                those error are minimized.
                You can also (after a proper renaming of folder) have a batch building
                (not levelling!) of all panos made that day.
                No control points nor optimization required.
                I think once you forget nadir perfection and you let some stitching
                errors go, you can use the thing within a 6 mts tolerance, going down to
                4 with wise orientation of the 3 cameras, smartblend and POV optimizing.
                No miracles, but some nice result!
                Would like to try with 3 shaved 10.5 on 5d or D700...