PTShift

  • Gerald Lodron
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 26, 2009
      Dear PanoToolsNG community!

      First of all, a big HELLO. I am the newbee in this group (as well as in photography) and hope to learn all triks of the panotools. I have bought a sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye lens and made a few images. There are some chromatical abberations (I am not defenitely sure if they are lateral or longitudinal), so I wanted to make the poygon fitting with PTShift. The problem is that it doesn't run under Photoshop CS4. Does anyone have any suggestions or modified versions of PTShift?

      Best regards,
      Gerald Lodron

    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 27, 2009
        I'd suggest using another program, especially a raw convertor such as adobe
        raw. Perhaps adobes standalone dng convertor can do this.

        You can get close with ptshift, but no where near as good as doing it in
        raw. Plus, it is very difficult to discover the proper values without an
        interactive GUI.

        Since you apparently already have cs4, the raw convertor will do you good.

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        http://www.seeit360.net

        GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

        404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 27, 2009
          If you are running Windows Vista...
          One of the issues with the PanoTools plugins is that is saves the
          current settings in the same folder as the application calling it.
          Vista by default does not allow this. Settings should be saved in a
          separate data folder for each user. If you right click on Photoshop and
          choose run as administrator then the plug-in will be able to write to
          the application folder.

          I have started a new version of the plugins many months ago but have not
          had time to work on them.

          Jim Watters

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 27, 2009
            Sacha Griffin wrote:

            > I'd suggest using another program, especially a raw convertor such as adobe
            > raw. Perhaps adobes standalone dng convertor can do this.

            No, the DNG converter converts from camera raw to DNG raw, nothing else.

            > You can get close with ptshift, but no where near as good as doing it in
            > raw.

            Depends. If the CA is considerably larger than the bayer pattern the
            correction can be applied to jpegs with almost similar effect. Only if
            the CA is of the strange type (see
            http://wiki.panotools.org/TCA#Strange_Example ) it is not correctable.

            > Plus, it is very difficult to discover the proper values without an
            > interactive GUI.

            PTShift *is* the interactive GUI for panotools radial shift ;-)

            > Since you apparently already have cs4, the raw convertor will do you good.

            That's true most of the time. It does a linear correction only opposed
            to radial shift, which allows for a polynomial correction curve.
            However, a linear correction is sufficient in almost all cases.

            There is BTW a (command line) tool in the hugin package called
            tca_correct which allows for fully automatic determination of polynomial
            TCA correction parameters.

            best regards
          • Gerald Lodron
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 27, 2009
              I will try it, but i usually photograph in jpeg, i never tried raw. I am using Windows XP so that should not be the reason why ptshift does not work on CS4. Many thankx

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 27, 2009
                Gerald Lodron wrote:

                > I will try it, but i usually photograph in jpeg, i never tried raw. I am
                > using Windows XP so that should not be the reason why ptshift does not
                > work on CS4.

                Only to be clear: With PTShift you mean the Photoshop Javascript by Eric
                Gerds <http://www.pinlady.net/vr/#anchor2> ?

              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 27, 2009
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@...> wrote:

                  > I will try it, but i usually photograph in jpeg, i never tried raw. I am using Windows XP so that should not be the reason why ptshift does not work on CS4. Many thankx

                  Well than it is time you start.
                  You will never shoot a jpg again when you found out what you lost by shooting jpg.

                  Hans
                • Marc Huff
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 27, 2009
                    There's also a preset for Adobe Camera RAW for the Sigma Fisheye, if it's
                    the older (F4) one. Contact me off-list and I can email them to you.

                    If you have the newer one, correct the abborations yourself in Adobe RAW and
                    then save the preset. Then you can batch apply the preset when you're doing
                    a VR.

                    _Marc Huff
                    WHdigital, Inc.

                    On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I will try it, but i usually photograph in jpeg, i never tried raw. I am
                    > using Windows XP so that should not be the reason why ptshift does not work
                    > on CS4. Many thankx
                    >
                    > Well than it is time you start.
                    > You will never shoot a jpg again when you found out what you lost by
                    > shooting jpg.
                    >
                    > Hans

                  • Sacha Griffin
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 27, 2009
                      You can also open your jpg/tiff files in adobe camera raw and correct the
                      aberration. However, I just tested tiff versus raw and the raw result was
                      much more accurate using the same values.

                      Use the "Open As" feature.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 28, 2009
                        No its the new f3.5 not the old f4 one. But now i think that the ca's are not of the kind which can be corrected by automated software, hmm

                        ________________________________

                        On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Hans Nyberg <hans@nyberg. com> wrote:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@ yahoogroups. com <PanoToolsNG% 40yahoogroups. com>,
                        > Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@ ...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I will try it, but i usually photograph in jpeg, i never tried raw. I am
                        > using Windows XP so that should not be the reason why ptshift does not work
                        > on CS4. Many thankx
                        >
                        > Well than it is time you start.
                        > You will never shoot a jpg again when you found out what you lost by
                        > shooting jpg.
                        >
                        > Hans

                      • Gerald Lodron
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 28, 2009
                          yes

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 28, 2009
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@...> wrote:

                            > No its the new f3.5 not the old f4 one. But now i think that the ca's are not of the kind >which can be corrected by automated software, hmm

                            There is no problem at all to correct the CA of the Sigma 8mm 3.5 or the old f4 or any other lens using a standard setting in Photoshop RAW.
                            You can save it as a special setting for each lens or you can just save it as the default if you need to batch many files.

                            What is difficult to get rid of with the Sigma 3,5 is the purple fringing, but that is not CA and you can not correct it with any other software either. The only way is to do it by hand using saturation or Selective Color.

                            The old version f4 did not have this extreme purple fringing.
                            See my page on this here.
                            http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/sigma-8mm/color-aberration.html

                            Using the CS4 Camera Raw is very easy. I know no other Raw converter which has the simplicity as Camera Raw. And with the option to save settings for both CA - Vignetting or any other settings for each lens.

                            You can open 100 Raw files or more in one go (if you have enough Ram) and set the same settings for all than just batch or you can set individual settings for each one or a couple of them before batching.
                            For the panorama photographer that is just an amazing feature.

                            Hans

                          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 28, 2009
                              Quoting Hans Nyberg <hans@...>:

                              > Using the CS4 Camera Raw is very easy. I know no other Raw converter which
                              > has the simplicity as Camera Raw. And with the option to save settings for
                              > both CA - Vignetting or any other settings for each lens.
                              >
                              > You can open 100 Raw files or more in one go (if you have enough Ram) and
                              > set the same settings for all than just batch or you can set individual
                              > settings for each one or a couple of them before batching.

                              totally agree, I've been looking for a <cough> OSS alternative recently to no avail.
                              regards

                              mick

                            • bohonus
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 31, 2009
                                I would like to use PTShift in CS4 as well.

                                Seems that when calling the script, its window gets drawn in the upper left corner in "negative" screen xy position with just a tiny sliver of it visible. There is a little corner that I can click on to bring up the preferences but no other actions are recognized. CS4 then becomes totally unresponsive because the script is waiting for a response, and for its own window to close. I have to "end task" CS4 to get out of it.

                                Is this something that can be fixed by changing how the script gets/sets its window position? or is it something else that is the problem?

                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 31, 2009
                                  bohonus wrote:

                                  > Seems that when calling the script, its window gets drawn in the upper
                                  > left corner in "negative" screen xy position with just a tiny sliver of
                                  > it visible. There is a little corner that I can click on to bring up the
                                  > preferences but no other actions are recognized. CS4 then becomes
                                  > totally unresponsive because the script is waiting for a response, and
                                  > for its own window to close. I have to "end task" CS4 to get out of it.

                                  Perhaps it would be best to contact Eric Gerds directly. The email is on
                                  his page (bottom): http://www.pinlady.net/vr/

                                • Gerald Lodron
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 1, 2009
                                    Thats interesting. But can you compare two lenses with different aperture values? Vary both apertures to the same same value and make the test again, that would be very interesting.

                                    ________________________________
                                    > No its the new f3.5 not the old f4 one. But now i think that the ca's are not of the kind >which can be corrected by automated software, hmm

                                    There is no problem at all to correct the CA of the Sigma 8mm 3.5 or the old f4 or any other lens using a standard setting in Photoshop RAW.
                                    You can save it as a special setting for each lens or you can just save it as the default if you need to batch many files.

                                    What is difficult to get rid of with the Sigma 3,5 is the purple fringing, but that is not CA and you can not correct it with any other software either. The only way is to do it by hand using saturation or Selective Color.

                                    The old version f4 did not have this extreme purple fringing.
                                    See my page on this here.
                                    http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/sigma-8mm/color-aberration.html

                                    Using the CS4 Camera Raw is very easy. I know no other Raw converter which has the simplicity as Camera Raw. And with the option to save settings for both CA - Vignetting or any other settings for each lens.

                                    You can open 100 Raw files or more in one go (if you have enough Ram) and set the same settings for all than just batch or you can set individual settings for each one or a couple of them before batching.
                                    For the panorama photographer that is just an amazing feature.

                                    Hans

                                    > ____________ _________ _________ __

                                  • Gerald Lodron
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 1, 2009
                                      I already contacted him and he wrote that he does not support ptshift any more because he had no time. He said that he is not wondering that it does not work in CS4.

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 1, 2009
                                        Gerald Lodron wrote:

                                        > I already contacted him and he wrote that he does not support ptshift
                                        > any more because he had no time. He said that he is not wondering that
                                        > it does not work in CS4.

                                        Too bad. But you have the source code. With a bit of Javascript
                                        knowledge it can be understood. Eric usually comments very good. And
                                        there should be some reading how to migrate PS Javascripts from earlier
                                        versions. I don't have CS4 (and it doesn't run on my machine), hence I
                                        can't be of any help...