Re: [PanoToolsNG] CS4 and Panos

  • michel thoby
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 18 9:34 AM
      Le 17 mars 09 � 23:42, Thomas Bredenfeld a �crit :

      > - promised fisheye stitching in photomerge isn't working at all, wide
      > angle multirow only in very few lucky cases...
      Canon 15 mm, Nikon 16 mm, Nikon 10.5 mm, Sigma 8 mm f3.5, Sigma 15
      mm, Sigma 4.5 mm are currently the only fisheye lenses that are
      handled by PS_CS4 Extended for fisheye so-called "distortion" and
      vignetting correction.
      Even-though the warping success depends also probably on the size of
      the camera sensor: only full-frame images seem to *potentially* work
      according to results from my own tests.
      Additionally, the lens is not recognized by the CS4 software without
      the help of the "Lens ID" from the images metadata. This data line
      (*) is eventually very often absent is most of the time skipped by
      the onboard software (e.g. when shot in JPG), by many RAW converters
      and by many graphic software with the exception of Adobe since CS2.
      Tip: If present (but not showing in the EXIF) it can be restored by
      opening the image file (JPG, TIF, etc.) with ACR and re-saving as.

      I wonder why Adobe has apparently not yet made these essential pieces
      of information above widely and publicly available.

      > ... with explicitly no full sphere stitching.
      Confirmed: according to the online PS-CS4 Help (i.e. Instruction
      manual), the Nadir and Zenith have to be be inserted later in the
      process. Unfortunately, no way to *correctly* perform this operation
      (with PS) is provided. The relevant demonstration by Russel Brown:
      http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/StitchingPanos_SM.mov is IMHO rather
      ridiculous.

      In addition and separately from Photomerge, Adobe promotes an
      alternative workflow; It is based on "Creating 360 degree panoramas
      using Auto-Align Layers". Following are excerpts from the Adobe
      online Help (Dec 2008 version):
      << ...You can use either the Auto-Align Layers workflow or Photomerge
      to stitch the panorama. Photomerge has fewer steps. The Auto-Align
      Layers workflow provides more control because of the additional
      feedback around lens metadata and corrections as well as the ability
      to perform alignment and blending separately....>>
      It is otherwise explicitly intended to produce full sphere stitching:
      to understand this point, you may watch the first 2 minutes of this
      Adobe video: http://tv.adobe.com/#vi+f1584v1015 or (amongst many
      other video tutorials) the following by starting viewing at 2:57 into
      the full 6:31 minutes: http://tv.adobe.com/#vi+f1556v1684
      This exploit curiously contradicts what has been written in the
      online Help where one could read that on a par with Photomerge, the
      insertion of Zenith or Nadir is to be done separately.
      BTW a seasoned panorama photographer viewing the videos with
      attention may also notice that chunks of the input images are
      obviously missing in the output panorama...

      I have made Adobe aware of some of my own relevant test results and
      rationale with an article:
      http://michel.thoby.free.fr/PS-CS4_PB/PS-CS4-Output_PB.html
      Some days later, Adobe Systems has subsequently removed any reference
      to the "Create 360 degree panoramas using Auto-Align Layers" marvel
      from the online Help (but it's still there in the French Help
      version;-). Even so, Adobe is still showing the flawed concept on the
      video tutorials including the one by a PS-CS4 Extended Product
      Manager. In this context, I feel compelled to consider these Adobe
      tutorials as being mostly bogus.

      Notes:
      (*): "Lens" is a description of the lens used to take the photograph.
      For example, �70-200 mm f/2.8-4.0�. With Camera "Serial Number",
      "Lens" is one of the only two *additional properties* that describe
      the equipment used to produce EXIF data.

      Michel Thoby

    • Luca N Vascon
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 18 10:07 AM
        :-)
        W GIMP!

        michel thoby ha scritto:
> [...]
        > rationale with an article:
        > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/PS-CS4_PB/PS-CS4-Output_PB.html
        > Some days later, Adobe Systems has subsequently removed any reference
        > to the "Create 360 degree panoramas using Auto-Align Layers" marvel
        > from the online Help (but it's still there in the French Help
        > version;-). Even so, Adobe is still showing the flawed concept on the
        > video tutorials including the one by a PS-CS4 Extended Product
        > Manager. In this context, I feel compelled to consider these Adobe
        > tutorials as being mostly bogus.
        >
        > Notes:
        > (*): "Lens" is a description of the lens used to take the photograph.
        > For example, ?70-200 mm f/2.8-4.0?. With Camera "Serial Number",
        > "Lens" is one of the only two *additional properties* that describe
        > the equipment used to produce EXIF data.

      • Paul Fretheim
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 18 10:42 AM
          I am using Photoshop CS4 on a 64 bit dual core running on Vista Home
          Premium 64 bit. I have an NVidia 9800 GT dual digital video card, 8
          gigs of RAM and a few terabytes of SATA HD storage.

          I have been using this setup for about 3 months. I like the speed.

          I found the 3D features crippled and weak. I am accustomed to using
          Maya (I know - $7000 retail) for 3D and the Photoshop CS4 3D is so
          limited compared to Maya that it is ridiculous. There are no "skins"
          like "Phong" or "PhongE" or "Nurbs" and there are no lighting controls.
          The manipulation tools are hopeless. In my opinion, the 3D features of
          Photoshop CS4 are so limited as to be completely worthless. They are a
          crummy joke. Do not spend a lot of money for Extended for the 3D
          feature. You can find free software on the web that is more powerful.

          Also, the clone tool is not working right in CS4 Extended. It is
          inconsistent. It provides for 5 different "Clone sources."
          Unfortunately, if you mostly just use one clone source, like for
          spotting a sky, CS4's clone tool starts randomly selecting other clone
          sources in a completely unpredictable manner. I have phoned Adobe tech
          support about this several times, and they will not admit there is a
          problem. I reinstalled the program and updated the drivers for my video
          card and that seemed to help some, but the problem keeps recurring at
          unpredictable intervals. And it can result in "trails" across large
          areas of your image that can be completely out of the area of the image
          you are viewing, so you can end up saving an image with a spaghetti mess
          in an unseen area that means you have to start over.

          Also, a new "feature" of the clone tool in CS4 allows you to preview the
          clone source, which is of no value since you can always "CTRL-Z"
          anything that is wrong if you are paying attention. This feature slows
          the clone tool down so much as to make it unusable. But it is enabled
          in the default configuration, and finding out how to disable it is
          pretty obscure. You open the "Clone Source" window under the "Windows"
          menu and uncheck the "Show Overlay" box. I spent hours searching the
          help database at Adobe and finally had to call tech support to find out
          how to turn the preview off, and the agent was very slow in
          understanding what I was asking about, but finally, after long holds,
          figured out what I was talking about.

          I have Photoshop CS2 still installed and sometimes choose to go back to
          that for spotting, but it's slow, so I prefer to stay with the OpenGl
          enabled 64 bit CS4 version when I can because it really is a lot faster.

          Paul Fretheim
          Inyo Pro
        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 18 11:10 AM
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

            > Also, a new "feature" of the clone tool in CS4 allows you to preview the
            > clone source, which is of no value since you can always "CTRL-Z"
            > anything that is wrong if you are paying attention. This feature slows
            > the clone tool down so much as to make it unusable. But it is enabled
            > in the default configuration, and finding out how to disable it is
            > pretty obscure.

            Paul

            I have to disagree on this. This feature is absolutelly amazing. It works perfect on my old PPC G5 even if the special CPU enchancement in CS4 is always disabled on this machine.

            It has become extremely easy to do correct cloning of patterns and lines because of this.
            To me it was actually one of 2 features which made me upgrade.

            The other is the new Raw converter which has a simple masking option to apply partial corrections of exposure and colours.

            Hans
          • Rick Drew
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 18 11:55 AM
              I agree - the clone stamp is probably my favorite improved feature - works
              flawlessly and is so much easier than the old overlay method. The actual
              size stamp is indeed amazing. The Bridge enhancements (from improve raw to
              direct creation of Flash slide shows and galleries) are a big plus as well.

              I think the people with such anathema for the CS4 3D either don't have the
              system for it, or have not fully explored it. Comparinf it to a 3D
              production environment is hardly fair. How are the camera raw features of
              the primarily 3D programs? Or the pixel-level editing? Apples and Oranges.

              The 3D text on layers, skinning - it all enhances CS4 and improves my
              workflow. My PC is over a year old and could really use a new video card.
              That's the big hang-up in CS4. Since it uses the GPU and card memory, you
              need a lot of video RAM and a fast GPU. If I can find another identical
              card I can use my SLI bridge and really improve the performance. Right now
              it's not that bad though. 88 meg images load in a few seconds and import to
              a 3D layer in 4 seconds. Load time could be improved, but I store all
              images on external drives.

              Rick Drew

              .

              I have to disagree on this. This feature is absolutelly amazing. It works
              perfect on my old PPC G5 even if the special CPU enchancement in CS4 is
              always disabled on this machine.

              It has become extremely easy to do correct cloning of patterns and lines
              because of this.
              To me it was actually one of 2 features which made me upgrade.

              The other is the new Raw converter which has a simple masking option to
              apply partial corrections of exposure and colours.

            • Roger Howard
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 18 2:42 PM
                On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:42:07 -0700, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:
                > Also, a new "feature" of the clone tool in CS4 allows you to preview the
                > clone source, which is of no value since you can always "CTRL-Z"
                > anything that is wrong if you are paying attention. This feature slows
                > the clone tool down so much as to make it unusable.

                I was in total agreement with you until this - I was surprised to find how
                much I love the new clone previews and how much I miss them when working in
                CS3 at work. This is, for me, one of the few (if only) things in CS4 I
                actually value - not exactly worth the price of the upgrade, I'll give you
                that... it was a bit annoying for the first few minutes, but within my
                first hour I couldn't imagine cloning without it. Saying you can always
                Undo is true - the same could be said for any tool which provides live
                previews, though, and I think in general live feedback is more natural than
                static previews. If there's anything I want them spending my valuable Ghz
                on, it's things like that - certainly would rather use my CPU for things
                like that, than a lot of the other garbage, including the buggy UI, they
                dropped into CS4.

                -R
              • Keith Martin
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 18 4:30 PM
                  Sometime around 18/3/09 (at 17:34 +0100) michel thoby said:

                  >The relevant demonstration by Russel Brown:
                  >http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/StitchingPanos_SM.mov is IMHO rather
                  >ridiculous.

                  You're not kidding! Shockingly amateur techniques for such a pro-level tool.

                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 18 4:34 PM
                    Sometime around 18/3/09 (at 10:42 -0700) Paul Fretheim said:

                    >a new "feature" of the clone tool in CS4 allows you to preview the
                    >clone source, which is of no value since you can always "CTRL-Z"
                    >anything that is wrong if you are paying attention.

                    I haven't noticed speed issues, and I think it is actually rather
                    useful. It helps me get my clone stamping precisely where I want
                    first time, every time - no need for uncertainty and undos.
                  • AYRTON
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 18 4:40 PM
                      On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:

                      > I haven't noticed speed issues,

                      Me neither !!!
                      And on Adobe site they say CS4 is memory (RAM) hunger !!!

                      AYRTON

                      > and I think it is actually rather
                      > useful. It helps me get my clone stamping precisely where I want
                      > first time, every time - no need for uncertainty and undos.

                      ------------
                      | A Y R |
                      | T O N |
                      ------------

                      + 55 21 9982 6313

                      http://ayrton360.com
                      http://rio.360cities.net
                      http://vrfolio.com
                      http://ayrton.com

                    • Jeffrey Martin
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 19 1:58 AM
                        Gimp? heh. I'm not convinced. But I didn't try it for 3 years. does it even
                        have 16-bit capability yet? What about the infuriating interface? Oh yes,
                        there's a skin that can make it look like.... photoshop! :-)

                        I do wish they'd named it something besides GIMP. It doesn't doesn't have a
                        chance to become popular with a name like that. Unless it catches the "boy
                        named sue" syndrome I guess ;-)

                        Jeffrey Martin

                        tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin /
                        http://twitter.com/360cities

                      • Roger Howard
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 19 7:39 AM
                          On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:58:30 +0100, Jeffrey Martin <360cities@...>
                          wrote:
                          > Gimp? heh. I'm not convinced. But I didn't try it for 3 years. does it
                          even
                          > have 16-bit capability yet? What about the infuriating interface? Oh yes,
                          > there's a skin that can make it look like.... photoshop! :-)
                          >
                          > I do wish they'd named it something besides GIMP. It doesn't doesn't have
                          > chance to become popular with a name like that. Unless it catches the
                          "boy
                          > named sue" syndrome I guess ;-)

                          I know that's been debated for years - while not much offends me, I know
                          there are plenty of people who would be offended by that name, regardless
                          of what backronym they come up with to justify the name.

                          Nevertheless, it's a pretty capable image editor - though I'm sticking with
                          Photoshop for now, most of what I do (and probably most of what everyone
                          here does) could be done in GIMP without problem, once you adjust your
                          muscle memory and relearn the UI.

                          -R
                        • Richard
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 21, 2010
                            I'm running PS CS4 in 64 bit and find it is much faster than any previous versions. I can also load and manipulate much larger images such as polar coordinate translations.
                            This has allowed me to tackle Gigapans and HDR panos.
                            Now I have the 64bit filter for PTLens I'm happier, but to edit nadirs and zeniths I a 64bit PTfilter plugin would be invaluable.
                            I don't have the right setup or experience to compile this myself.

                            > Rick Drew schrieb:
                            > >

                            > > I've been using CS4 for about a month, and just discovered the new panoramic
                            > > editing and viewing tool - I don't remember seeing any comments here about
                            > > it. It's fantastic! You can open a equirectangular pano, navigate, and edit
                            > > (and past your zenith and nadir!) your pano while viewing it.
                            > >
                            > > It's hidden away in the 3D menu - simply open your pano, then 3D -> new
                            > > shape from layer ->Spherical Panorama. You can also map your pano to a
                            > > variety of 3D shapes, but the Spherical Panorama image is the really amazing
                            > > part! If you have CS4, check it out!
                            > >
                            > > >From what I have read, you can also create MOV files as well, but have not
                            > > tried that part yet.
                            >
                            > not possible. exporting to flash also not possible
                            >

                            > > Anyone else played with this feature yet?
                            >
                            > intensively (from early betas on):
                            >
                            > - middlesize/big panos (e.g. 7200x3600) are slow even with
                            > 8core/2,8ghz/8gig ram mac pro and 512mb gpu.
                            >
                            > - editing isn't really sufficent. some pixels on zenit/nadir are left
                            > uneditable due to permanent open gl wrapping of the equirect texture
                            > (black dot).
                            >
                            > nadir patching with pano2vr's or superrune's cubeface extract is by far
                            > better and faster.
                            >
                            > - image quality relies on gpu/opengl and photoshops bicubic resampling,
                            > no comparison to advanced resamplers like mitchell, lanczos etc. used in
                            > other pano apps.
                            >
                            > - promised fisheye stitching in photomerge isn't working at all, wide
                            > angle multirow only in very few lucky cases with explicitly no full
                            > sphere stitching.
                            >
                            > absolutely no comparison to pro tools like stitcher, pgtui, hugin etc.
                            >
                            > photoshop is / stays the best and unbeatable image editing application.
                            > everthing else besides in this app is toy stuff (video, 3d, panorama
                            > etc.). it has it's place in pano workflow, but it's not the all-in-one tool.
                            >
                            > just my 2 cent ;-)
                            >
                            > tb
                            >

                            > > Rick Drew

                          • Eduardo Hutter
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 22, 2010
                              * Richard wrote, On 22/04/2010 3:21 AM:
                              > w I have the 64bit filter for PTLens I'm happier, but to edit nadirs
                              > and zeniths I a 64bit PTfilter plugin would be invaluable.

                              Get Rune Spaans' plugin, it's really handy.

                              http://www.superrune.com/tutorials_software.php

                              cheers,

                            • Jim Watters
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 22, 2010
                                I have a test version of PanoTools plugin for PhotoShop Windows 64bit.

                                There are several things I still want to fix.

                                In the mean time this gives 64bit Windows users an option.
                                For 32bit Windows it is best to continue to use the current plugins.
                                Once these are fixed then I'll be releasing both 32bit and 64bit.

                                Unzip this file and copy the file to your 64bit plugin folder, by
                                default here.
                                C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters
                                http://photocreations.ca/panotools/PTFilters_x64.zip

                                Please report back any problems or issues so they can be corrected.
                                I'll be upgrading to 64bit OS and 64bit CS5 shortly and the plugin
                                development will follow.

                                Jim Watters
                                http://photocreations.ca

                                On 2010/04/22 2:21 AM, Richard wrote:
                                > I'm running PS CS4 in 64 bit and find it is much faster than any previous versions.
                                > I have the 64bit filter for PTLens I'm happier, but to edit nadirs and zeniths I a 64bit PTfilter plugin would be invaluable.
                                > I don't have the right setup or experience to compile this myself.

                              • ptgroup
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 22, 2010
                                  AFAIK superrune is only available only for 32Bit Windows.
                                  Ciao
                                  Mike
                                  ----------------------------
                                  ----------------------------
                                  360° VR Fotografie:
                                  http://www.360de.de

                                  NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
                                  http://www.abstraktfoto.de
                                  -----------------------------
                                  Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
                                  http://virtugraf.wordpress.com
                                  > w I have the 64bit filter for PTLens I'm happier, but to edit nadirs
                                  > and zeniths I a 64bit PTfilter plugin would be invaluable.

                                  Get Rune Spaans' plugin, it's really handy.

                                  http://www.superrune.com/tutorials_software.php

                                  cheers,

                                • 1drey
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 27, 2010
                                    Sacha,

                                    Are you satisfied with 3D editing in PS?

                                    I've noticed that when I flatten 3d image (like after applying patch from neighbor area), the straight lines turns slightly distorted and sometimes it is very noticeable.
                                    Also when I render it for final output, it takes hours (!) to complete for equirect 10000x5000 :)

                                    Dual core, 8Gb of memory, x64 Win7.

                                    The tool turns out totally unuseable for me.

                                    What am I doing wrong?

                                    Cheers,
                                    Andrey

                                    > Seems to work. The speed is pretty brutal. I can extract, retouch, insert,
                                    > and generate the tiles in quicker time that it takes to do the initial
                                    > display for a 7000x3500 image.
                                    >
                                    > Using a dual core system with 3gb of ram.
                                    >

                                    > In my opion ptgui is comparable, its just completely lacking the basic UI to
                                    > extract and insert the viewpoint you desire.
                                    >
                                    > Requiring a little "in the know" knowhow and leaving people to use the
                                    > ridiculous pteditor from 10 years ago in 8bits.
                                    >

                                    > My apologies to the pteditor people.
                                    >

                                    > Sacha Griffin
                                    >
                                    > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                                    >
                                    > http://www.southern-digital.com
                                    >
                                    > http://www.seeit360.net
                                    >
                                    > GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...
                                    >
                                    > 404-551-4275

                                  • Sacha Griffin
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 27, 2010
                                      No, I think most people would say that it's un-usable for panoramas at
                                      least.

                                      PTGUI only takes a few seconds at most when coupled with the last
                                      ptstitcher.