Re: Macro panoramas with webcam

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 39 , Mar 11, 2009

      > My Sunex mini fisheye lens came today and I had bought another Logitech Quickpro Pro for Notebooks. And I put the two together to make a fisheye 2 Megapixel webcam. The Sunex lens is very tiny -- like the thickness of an AA battery, and 1 cm long. It looks very nicely made and there seems to be a back lens assembly which could be unscrewed so one could add an aperture if one wanted more DOF. It was simple to unscrew and unsolder the original Zeiss lens on the the webcam, and install a lens mount I cannibalized from another webcam Screw the fisheye lens in and it was ready to go. There is no color fringing like you get with cheaper fisheye security camera lenses and the coverage is nearly a circle 180 on this format because the focal length is so short.
      > http://www.mediavr.com/fishcam1.jpg

      Looks nice. Just ad an aperture for much more DOF.

      I actually experimented with Webcams for doing this a year ago because I had a client who wanted me to do small models in panoramas.

      I had to give up on the webcam because of the lack of Mac compatible webcams and because of the lack of aperture in them

      I can see that Logitech now have aversion for Mac which looks the same as the 9000.
      Another idea would be to use a Mobile.

      I would like to connect the webcam with bluetooth to avoid any cables but there is only one Bluetooth Webcam and it is only VGA resolution.

      However while searching for bluetooth webcams I found this. http://www.movino.org/

      You just need to find a good Mobile with a 5 megapixel camera.
      There is a fisheye available for mobiles but the quality is not very good.
      http://www.tomtop.com/fish-eye-lens-fe50-for-mobile-phone-or-digital-camera-pa66_p1595.html

      Maybe the Sunex could be used.

      Hans
    • panovrx
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 17, 2009
        Here is another kind of "orbit" webcam, also good for capturing panoramic views
        http://www.vimeo.com/3712183
        ... I've programmed it to look where I want pretty much

        This movie is actually with my Logitech/Sunex webcam, being about the central 140 degrees of the fisheye view. The lighting is from the LED on the webcam -- a handy thing for closeup views, pity it is red.

        Peter Murphy