smooth autorotation with swf panorama object in web page?

  • dino2two
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
      Hello,

      I want to have a smooth auto rotation of a spherical panorama compiled to swf format with pano2qtvr on a html web page. Any suggestions on how to do that? I have tried to compile auto rotation inside the swf file but it isn't smooth...
      Or, there are other methods to obtain this? I would like to have a virtual tour with thumbs photos to link to 5-10 panoramas, all on a web page.
      Do you know where I can get some help with the web page? Maybe there are some plugins (to display map, info, etc. over the panorama), or ready-made web pages (free or charged), or some tutorials on how to make a virtual tour containing web page...

      Thanks
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dino2two" <dino2two@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I want to have a smooth auto rotation of a spherical panorama compiled to swf format with pano2qtvr on a html web page. Any suggestions on how to do that? I have tried to compile auto rotation inside the swf file but it isn't smooth...
        > Or, there are other methods to obtain this? I would like to have a virtual tour with thumbs photos to link to 5-10 panoramas, all on a web page.
        > Do you know where I can get some help with the web page? Maybe there are some plugins (to display map, info, etc. over the panorama), or ready-made web pages (free or charged), or some tutorials on how to make a virtual tour containing web page...

        Pano2QTVR only supports Flash 8 panoramas.

        Flash 8 will not give you smooth panning, You have to upgrade to a flash 9/10 viewer like Pano2VR or FPP or KRPano.

        Hans
      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
          I tried Pano2VR and it worked really well and was really easy to use.

          I know next to nothing about Flash and I made a simple page in minutes.
          The image quality was really good in a Flash10 capable browser.

          Hans Nyberg wrote:
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dino2two" <dino2two@...> wrote:
          >
          >>Hello,
          >>
          >>I want to have a smooth auto rotation of a spherical panorama compiled to swf format with pano2qtvr on a html web page. Any suggestions on how to do that? I have tried to compile auto rotation inside the swf file but it isn't smooth...
          >>Or, there are other methods to obtain this? I would like to have a virtual tour with thumbs photos to link to 5-10 panoramas, all on a web page.
          >>Do you know where I can get some help with the web page? Maybe there are some plugins (to display map, info, etc. over the panorama), or ready-made web pages (free or charged), or some tutorials on how to make a virtual tour containing web page...
          >

          > Pano2QTVR only supports Flash 8 panoramas.
          >
          > Flash 8 will not give you smooth panning, You have to upgrade to a flash 9/10 viewer like Pano2VR or FPP or KRPano.
          >
          > Hans

        • erik leeman
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009

            > I tried Pano2VR and it worked really well and was really easy to
            > use.
            > I know next to nothing about Flash and I made a simple page in
            > minutes.
            > The image quality was really good in a Flash10 capable browser.

            Autorotation and high quality(!) Flash10 VR panos don't mix well either,
            no matter what tool you use to generate them. Panning smoothness all depends on the chosen settings, and you just can't have high-res, highly detailed, sharp, anti-aliased panos that autorotate smoothly. Not until Flash learns hardware acceleration like DevalVR has been using for ages! Fingers crossed Flash 11 will get a little bit closer to what we need.

            Erik Leeman

            (http://www.erikleeman.com/)
          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
              I didn't try autorotation. I find it annoying anyway...

              erik leeman wrote:
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
              >
              >>I tried Pano2VR and it worked really well and was really easy to
              >>use.
              >>I know next to nothing about Flash and I made a simple page in
              >>minutes.
              >>The image quality was really good in a Flash10 capable browser.
              >

              > Autorotation and high quality(!) Flash10 VR panos don't mix well either,
              > no matter what tool you use to generate them. Panning smoothness all depends on the chosen settings, and you just can't have high-res, highly detailed, sharp, anti-aliased panos that autorotate smoothly. Not until Flash learns hardware acceleration like DevalVR has been using for ages! Fingers crossed Flash 11 will get a little bit closer to what we need.
              >
              > Erik Leeman
              >
              > (http://www.erikleeman.com/)

            • erik leeman
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner wrote:
                > I didn't try autorotation. I find it annoying anyway...

                Ditto here!
                I MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have high-res, highly detailed, sharp, anti-aliased panos any day! So frame rates suck, too bad!
                That will eventually sort itself out (I hope).

                Erik Leeman

                (http://www.erikleeman.com/)
              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I tried Pano2VR and it worked really well and was really easy to
                  > > use.
                  > > I know next to nothing about Flash and I made a simple page in
                  > > minutes.
                  > > The image quality was really good in a Flash10 capable browser.
                  >
                  > Autorotation and high quality(!) Flash10 VR panos don't mix well either,
                  > no matter what tool you use to generate them. Panning smoothness all depends on the
                  >to what we need.

                  Erik
                  Flash has had hardware acceleration since the last Flash 9 version.
                  But hardware acceleration really needs the latest and most expensive hardware.
                  As Denis says in his presentation of the FPP Flash 10 preview version it can even result in slower performance if you do not have a newer high end computer.
                  I guess his coming Flash 10 version will have better support for it.

                  I have tested your panoramas using both My Parallels XP and a cheap 2 year old 2 mhz PC and I have to say that the flash performs better than DevalVR. with better panning not interupted by jerky jumps which is what you always get with viewers like DevalVR or SpiV on low end videocards.

                  Hans
                • Ken Warner
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
                    You would like my Java viewer -- I wish I wasn't the only one that can run it...

                    erik leeman wrote:
                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner wrote:
                    >
                    >>I didn't try autorotation. I find it annoying anyway...
                    >

                    > Ditto here!
                    > I MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have high-res, highly detailed, sharp, anti-aliased panos any day! So frame rates suck, too bad!
                    > That will eventually sort itself out (I hope).
                    >
                    > Erik Leeman
                    >
                    > (http://www.erikleeman.com/)

                  • erik leeman
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
                      Hi Hans,
                      Thanks for having a look, you seem to be happier with the frame rate of my Flash panos than I am myself : )
                      They were all made with a Pano2VR Render Quality of 10 and FULL anti-aliasing, using rather large cube faces on top of that! These are settings that most avoid like the plague because of performance issues. So there you go, there's no telling what works and what doesn't, is there?

                      I don't think Flash 9 ever had true hardware acceleration. It had the H.264 (video compression) and HE-AAC (sound compression) codecs
                      <http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_Player:9:Update:H.264>
                      but I think that was it.
                      Tinic Uro explained in his blog <http://www.kaourantin.net/> what kind of GPU acceleration Flash10 was capable of when it was introduced
                      (Friday, May 16, 2008 What does GPU acceleration mean?), and I think it was he who wrote that the Flash10 development team hoped to gradually improve hardware acceleration with each next update of Flash10 Player.
                      Maybe it would be better to speak of Flash10 'hardware optimization' as things are now. Which, as your test shows, is no bad thing at all!
                      But in my view it still stinks for autoration at high quality settings.

                      Regards,

                      Erik Leeman

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" wrote:
                      > Flash has had hardware acceleration since the last Flash 9 version.
                      > But hardware acceleration really needs the latest and most
                      > expensive hardware.
                      > As Denis says in his presentation of the FPP Flash 10 preview
                      > version it can even result in slower performance if you do not have
                      > a newer high end computer.
                      > I guess his coming Flash 10 version will have better support for it.
                      >
                      > I have tested your panoramas using both My Parallels XP and a cheap
                      > 2 year old 2 mhz PC and I have to say that the flash performs better
                      > than DevalVR. with better panning not interupted by jerky jumps
                      > which is what you always get with viewers like DevalVR or SpiV on
                      > low end videocards.
                      >
                      > Hans
                    • Hans Nyberg
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Hans,
                        > Thanks for having a look, you seem to be happier with the frame rate of my Flash panos than I am myself : )
                        > They were all made with a Pano2VR Render Quality of 10 and FULL anti-aliasing, using rather large cube faces on top of that! These are settings that most avoid like the plague because of performance issues. So there you go, there's no telling what works and what doesn't, is there?
                        >
                        > I don't think Flash 9 ever had true hardware acceleration. It had the H.264 (video compression) and HE-AAC (sound compression) codecs
                        > <http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_Player:9:Update:H.264>
                        > but I think that was it.

                        I do not know much about how it works technically.
                        I can only refer to what Denis and other flash super Gurus say.
                        http://flashpanoramas.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-318.html

                        The hardware accelerations works I believe only in fullscreen which also is the reason why I have to disable it in my Parallels XP. If I have it enabled fullscreen flash freezes.

                        Hans
                      • dino2two
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
                          Thanks for suggestions. I have looked to the Pano2VR software and understood the difference. I have FPP but loading a .mov file or 6 cube faces seems to be slower than a .swf format.
                          BTW, any tips about the virtual tour page?

                          All the best.

                          > I do not know much about how it works technically.
                          > I can only refer to what Denis and other flash super Gurus say.
                          > http://flashpanoramas.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-318.html
                          >
                          > The hardware accelerations works I believe only in fullscreen which also is the reason why I have to disable it in my Parallels XP. If I have it enabled fullscreen flash freezes.
                          >
                          > Hans

                        • fierodeval
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 11, 2009
                            Hi Hans,

                            Flash9 uses hardware acceleration, but not to paint textured polygons. This means that Flash9 and Flash10 uses only the CPU to render panoramas. Anyway, the performance of Flash10 in newer computers is very high.

                            It's very easy to know if a program is using hardware acceleration. Only open the Task Manager (press CTRL+ALT+DEL in Windows), and see how much CPU percentage is used by the application. If you disable "Debug options->Synchronized rendering" in DevalVR you can compare with Flash, because this option is disabled in Flash. These are my result in a Intel DualCore 2GHz with the same panorama:

                            QuickTime: 45% CPU
                            Flash: 75% CPU (30 Frames per second, tested FFP and KRpano, Flash10)
                            DevalVR: 10% CPU (170 Frames per second)

                            You can see that Flash is using the 2 cores, for this reason its performance is sometimes better than QuickTime (QuickTime and DevalVR only use 1 core).

                            DevalVR only is using 10% of CPU, this means that all the work to paint the graphics in the screen is made by the graphic card. For this reason the frame rate is 170. But, ┬┐why we need 170 FPS? This maximum framerate is required to have always a higher number than the monitor frequency. This way, if you enable "Synchronized rendering" the FPS of the viewer will be synchronized with the monitor frecuency (60 Hz in LCD displays) and the panning will be very smooth.

                            I don't know why the panning is not smooth in a 2GHz PC, maybe the graphic drivers are not installed correctly. A lot of users with old PCs and 64MB graphic cards told me that they see the panoramas very smooth.

                            regards!
                            fiero