Re: Interesting looking Swiss panoramic video project

  • pedro_silva58
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
      is this really stitched? couldn't this be done directly with a 5d2 and a tokina atx 107 or equivalent (asks he, who owns neither, so can't try...)?
      cheers,
      pedro

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Philipp B. Koch" <pk@...> wrote:

      > panovrx schrieb:
      > > http://www.paranoiko.com/public/special/con_testo.php
      > >
      > > For projection on four screens I think, national media coverage ...
      > > It is not clear how these are done but I think a Canon5D MkII is involved somehow as it was a 5DMII forum that found this on.
      > >
      > > Peter Murphy
      > WOW! This is the first pano-video setup I've ever seen that really
      > impressed me. Although I still have no clue, what purpose it could
      > serve, regarding customers (who wants this, and what for?), I'd be
      > curious how it is done. Especially a) how they deal with parallax (other
      > than with the Ladybug for example, there are obviously no stitching
      > problems also with close objects), and b) how they make such perfect,
      > invisible seams (both regarding the geometrics (no ghosts) and the color
      > (no "wrong" colors)...
      >
      > Regards, Philipp

    • Philipp B. Koch
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
        pedro_silva58 schrieb:
        > is this really stitched? couldn't this be done directly with a 5d2 and a tokina atx 107 or equivalent (asks he, who owns neither, so can't try...)?
        > cheers,
        > pedro

        If you show me a single-camera/lens setup that covers the whole 360
        degrees in such quality, I'd buy it in a heart beat :-) I think the most
        you can get with a single fisheye shot (i.e. not using convex mirrors
        because the quality would be too bad) is something like 190 degrees or
        so. So there must have more than one camera and lens been used
        simultaneously, and thus the results have most likely been stitched. Or
        am I totally wrong here, and there is the big secret that all of you
        keep confidentially while I am making a fool of myself, still stitching
        my images instead of using that secret-super-pan-o-matic-thingy, haha?

        Regards, Philipp

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Philipp B. Koch" <pk@...> wrote:
        >
        >> panovrx schrieb:
        >>
        >>> http://www.paranoiko.com/public/special/con_testo.php
        >>>
        >>> For projection on four screens I think, national media coverage ...
        >>> It is not clear how these are done but I think a Canon5D MkII is involved somehow as it was a 5DMII forum that found this on.
        >>>
        >>> Peter Murphy
        >>>
        >> WOW! This is the first pano-video setup I've ever seen that really
        >> impressed me. Although I still have no clue, what purpose it could
        >> serve, regarding customers (who wants this, and what for?), I'd be
        >> curious how it is done. Especially a) how they deal with parallax (other
        >> than with the Ladybug for example, there are obviously no stitching
        >> problems also with close objects), and b) how they make such perfect,
        >> invisible seams (both regarding the geometrics (no ghosts) and the color
        >> (no "wrong" colors)...
        >>
        >> Regards, Philipp
        >>

        > ------------------------------------

      • pedro_silva58
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
          no, of course you're not "totally wrong here", i was -- not just wrong, but making a fool of myself, mistaking 180 for 360... i'll retreat to my hole now...
          cheers,
          pedro

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Philipp B. Koch" <pk@...> wrote:

          > pedro_silva58 schrieb:
          > > is this really stitched? couldn't this be done directly with a 5d2 and a tokina atx 107 or equivalent (asks he, who owns neither, so can't try...)?
          > > cheers,
          > > pedro
          > >
          > If you show me a single-camera/lens setup that covers the whole 360
          > degrees in such quality, I'd buy it in a heart beat :-) I think the most
          > you can get with a single fisheye shot (i.e. not using convex mirrors
          > because the quality would be too bad) is something like 190 degrees or
          > so. So there must have more than one camera and lens been used
          > simultaneously, and thus the results have most likely been stitched. Or
          > am I totally wrong here, and there is the big secret that all of you
          > keep confidentially while I am making a fool of myself, still stitching
          > my images instead of using that secret-super-pan-o-matic-thingy, haha?
          >
          > Regards, Philipp
          >

          > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Philipp B. Koch" <pk@> wrote:

          > >> WOW! This is the first pano-video setup I've ever seen that really
          > >> impressed me. Although I still have no clue, what purpose it could
          > >> serve, regarding customers (who wants this, and what for?), I'd be
          > >> curious how it is done. Especially a) how they deal with parallax (other
          > >> than with the Ladybug for example, there are obviously no stitching
          > >> problems also with close objects), and b) how they make such perfect,
          > >> invisible seams (both regarding the geometrics (no ghosts) and the color
          > >> (no "wrong" colors)...
          > >>
          > >> Regards, Philipp
          > >>

          > > ------------------------------------

        • Philipp B. Koch
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
            pedro_silva58 schrieb:
            > no, of course you're not "totally wrong here", i was -- not just wrong, but making a fool of myself, mistaking 180 for 360... i'll retreat to my hole now...
            > cheers,
            > pedro
            No, you was not making a fool of yourself, such things happen (at least
            to me, permanently :-) Besides, it could (and still can be -- only we
            don't know how) well been some kind of special-one-shot-solution; and if
            so, I'd love to know it...
          • Philipp B. Koch
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2009

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 6, 2009
                pedro_silva58 wrote:

                > no, of course you're not "totally wrong here", i was -- not just wrong,
                > but making a fool of myself, mistaking 180 for 360...

                Ther would be the possibility to use a 6mm Nikkor fisheye with 220° FoV
                and point it straight up. You can remap to cylindrical. With the horizon
                in the middle you would still get 80° vertical FoV...

                The lens: http://tinyurl.com/5397l