Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Helpful info or just an annoying animation?

  • Will Brown
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
      I like it, but it might be helpful to show the up and down motion as
      well. And the scroll wheel doesn't work on the start pano in Safari &
      Firefox on a Mac. On the full screen version it does.
      Best,
      Will
      On Mar 4, 2009, at 7:29 AM, Ingemar Bergmark wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > One minor point, Ingemar. That side-to-side motion is rather
      > violent,
      > > and almost makes me feel ill. Something gentler might be just as
      > > effective, with no unfortunate side effect.
      > >
      > > Roger W.
      > >

      > Yeah, you're right about that. I had a 20 degree swing before, but
      > now I changed it to 10 degrees.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Ingemar

    • Jim Watters
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
        I think first time viewers would appreciate the animation. But if I was
        to view a dozen or so panos and got the same animation each time it
        would get a little annoying. Maybe a check box to set "Do not show this
        again". If the animation did not loop, then opening in a separate tab
        and not opening it right away would defeat the purpose.

        I experimented with a UI that had a list of thumbnails that opened a
        mixture of panos and images. I had no visual clue which were which. I
        am constantly dragging the image to make them rotate just in case. But
        I think an auto rotate once is all that is needed.

        Jim Watters

        Ingemar Bergmark wrote:
        > I was playing around with hotspots in FPP, when I got the idea to make an info screen with animation instead of the good ol' "Click and drag..." text.
        >
        > I'm submitting my test here for some feedback
        > http://tinyurl.com/ca2aww
        >
        > All this is done with some extra code the XML file. At first the animation ran only one cycle, but it seemed too short, so I changed it to loop indefinately. Don't really know which is best.
        > The whole thing goes away just by clicking anywhere on the pano.
        >
        > So the question is: helpful or just annoying?

      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
          Ingemar,

          I think it's perfect! What I really like is that it's an actual VR, not a
          fake movie, so when you click on the image, you seamlessly begin controlling
          that image.

          Mark
          www.pinnacle-vr.com
          www.northernlight.net
          www.360cities.net

        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Bergmark" <ingemar@...> wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@>
            > > wrote:
            > >
            > > One minor point, Ingemar. That side-to-side motion is rather violent,
            > > and almost makes me feel ill. Something gentler might be just as
            > > effective, with no unfortunate side effect.
            > >
            > > Roger W.
            > >

            > Yeah, you're right about that. I had a 20 degree swing before, but now I changed it to 10 >degrees.

            You can use the right left animation but forget about the zoom function. Remember that it does not work everywhere, It depends both on platform-Browser and if you are in fullscreen or not and at last if you have Flash 9 or 10.

            Would be better to demonstrate up/down panning.