Re: [PanoToolsNG] Helpful info or just an annoying animation?

  • Caroling Geary
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
      I think it is very helpful. Nicely done. Still thinking of pros and
      cons though.

      On Mar 4, 2009, at 3:17 AM, Ingemar Bergmark wrote:

      > I was playing around with hotspots in FPP, when I got the idea to
      > make an info screen with animation instead of the good ol' "Click
      > and drag..." text.
      >
      > I'm submitting my test here for some feedback
      > http://tinyurl.com/ca2aww
      >
      > So the question is: helpful or just annoying?

      Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net
    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
        On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 19:04:16 +0900, Caroling Geary <caroling@...>
        wrote:

        > I think it is very helpful. Nicely done. Still thinking of pros and
        > cons though.
        >
        > On Mar 4, 2009, at 3:17 AM, Ingemar Bergmark wrote:
        >
        >> I was playing around with hotspots in FPP, when I got the idea to
        >> make an info screen with animation instead of the good ol' "Click
        >> and drag..." text.
        >>
        >> I'm submitting my test here for some feedback
        >> http://tinyurl.com/ca2aww
        >>
        >> So the question is: helpful or just annoying?

        I tend to agree with Caroling. I used to feel that this kind of visual
        clue was essential, but recently with the increasing domination by the
        SWF format and Flash controls, like those provided by the skins used
        with Pano2VR, I am beginning to feel that the controls make it pretty
        obvious what you can/should do. So I'm still thinking it over...

        One minor point, Ingemar. That side-to-side motion is rather violent,
        and almost makes me feel ill. Something gentler might be just as
        effective, with no unfortunate side effect.

        Roger W.

        --
        Work: www.adex-japan.com
      • Ingemar Bergmark
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > One minor point, Ingemar. That side-to-side motion is rather violent,
          > and almost makes me feel ill. Something gentler might be just as
          > effective, with no unfortunate side effect.
          >
          > Roger W.

          Yeah, you're right about that. I had a 20 degree swing before, but now I changed it to 10 degrees.

          Thanks,
          Ingemar
        • Will Brown
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
            I like it, but it might be helpful to show the up and down motion as
            well. And the scroll wheel doesn't work on the start pano in Safari &
            Firefox on a Mac. On the full screen version it does.
            Best,
            Will
            On Mar 4, 2009, at 7:29 AM, Ingemar Bergmark wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
            > > wrote:
            > >
            > > One minor point, Ingemar. That side-to-side motion is rather
            > violent,
            > > and almost makes me feel ill. Something gentler might be just as
            > > effective, with no unfortunate side effect.
            > >
            > > Roger W.
            > >

            > Yeah, you're right about that. I had a 20 degree swing before, but
            > now I changed it to 10 degrees.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Ingemar

          • Jim Watters
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
              I think first time viewers would appreciate the animation. But if I was
              to view a dozen or so panos and got the same animation each time it
              would get a little annoying. Maybe a check box to set "Do not show this
              again". If the animation did not loop, then opening in a separate tab
              and not opening it right away would defeat the purpose.

              I experimented with a UI that had a list of thumbnails that opened a
              mixture of panos and images. I had no visual clue which were which. I
              am constantly dragging the image to make them rotate just in case. But
              I think an auto rotate once is all that is needed.

              Jim Watters

              Ingemar Bergmark wrote:
              > I was playing around with hotspots in FPP, when I got the idea to make an info screen with animation instead of the good ol' "Click and drag..." text.
              >
              > I'm submitting my test here for some feedback
              > http://tinyurl.com/ca2aww
              >
              > All this is done with some extra code the XML file. At first the animation ran only one cycle, but it seemed too short, so I changed it to loop indefinately. Don't really know which is best.
              > The whole thing goes away just by clicking anywhere on the pano.
              >
              > So the question is: helpful or just annoying?

            • Mark D. Fink
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
                Ingemar,

                I think it's perfect! What I really like is that it's an actual VR, not a
                fake movie, so when you click on the image, you seamlessly begin controlling
                that image.

                Mark
                www.pinnacle-vr.com
                www.northernlight.net
                www.360cities.net

              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Bergmark" <ingemar@...> wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > One minor point, Ingemar. That side-to-side motion is rather violent,
                  > > and almost makes me feel ill. Something gentler might be just as
                  > > effective, with no unfortunate side effect.
                  > >
                  > > Roger W.
                  > >

                  > Yeah, you're right about that. I had a 20 degree swing before, but now I changed it to 10 >degrees.

                  You can use the right left animation but forget about the zoom function. Remember that it does not work everywhere, It depends both on platform-Browser and if you are in fullscreen or not and at last if you have Flash 9 or 10.

                  Would be better to demonstrate up/down panning.