Re: Underground panorama lighting suggestions anyone?

  • Marcus Hamilton
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "klroost" <etterz@...> wrote:

      > I have a location I am going to shoot a pano in, the location is
      > underground. I have shot panos in the underground environment before,
      > specifically in an abandoned gypsum mine. That location was
      > challenging, but it was not that bad. I had places for tealights, the
      > surfaces were all at a decent distance. Thru a combination of
      > tealights, lightpainting and the built in flash I managed a decent
      > panorama.
      >
      > The location I am now contemplating presents an even more difficult
      > lighting challenge. Some surfaces are very close(1m[3 feet] or less),
      > while others are essentially at infinity. There is nowhere to place
      > tealights or the like. There is a fair amount of water vapor in the
      > air, which will more than likely negate the use of the built in flash.
      > This will make getting even exposures difficult(kit lens, I have to
      > take 38 shots), to say the least.
      >
      > Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for lighting? Any tips or
      > tricks are welcome also.
      >
      > If it makes any difference I am going to be shooting from the "middle"
      > of a waterfall(I hope, I may have to shoot from the top or bottom of
      > the falls). I will also have to carry whatever I am going to use for
      > lighting by hand for an extended distance(400-500m) while stooped
      > over, so weight will be an issue.
      >
      > Thanks in advance

      I have a similar challenge coming up. I was planning to use a couple of Speedlights remotely and a commander unit. Anyone tried this? Same problems with stitching the shadows I guess.
      Marcus
    • klroost
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
        Thank you for the replies everyone.
        I think I am going to try to find some of the caylume lights sticks in an appropriate color and use them to highlight the structural outlines, then just go at it with light painting. There just aren't any places to hide extra light sources such as lanterns. I tried to find that 900lumen flashlight, but it is not imported into the states by the vendor.
        thanks again

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "klroost" <etterz@...> wrote:

        > I have a location I am going to shoot a pano in, the location is
        > underground. I have shot panos in the underground environment before,
        > specifically in an abandoned gypsum mine. That location was
        > challenging, but it was not that bad. I had places for tealights, the
        > surfaces were all at a decent distance. Thru a combination of
        > tealights, lightpainting and the built in flash I managed a decent
        > panorama.
        >
        > The location I am now contemplating presents an even more difficult
        > lighting challenge. Some surfaces are very close(1m[3 feet] or less),
        > while others are essentially at infinity. There is nowhere to place
        > tealights or the like. There is a fair amount of water vapor in the
        > air, which will more than likely negate the use of the built in flash.
        > This will make getting even exposures difficult(kit lens, I have to
        > take 38 shots), to say the least.
        >
        > Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for lighting? Any tips or
        > tricks are welcome also.
        >
        > If it makes any difference I am going to be shooting from the "middle"
        > of a waterfall(I hope, I may have to shoot from the top or bottom of
        > the falls). I will also have to carry whatever I am going to use for
        > lighting by hand for an extended distance(400-500m) while stooped
        > over, so weight will be an issue.
        >
        > Thanks in advance

      • Juergen Schrader
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
          If you still wish to look for flashlights you may Google for Surefire and Fenix.

          Cheers
          Jürgen

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "klroost" <etterz@...> wrote:

          > Thank you for the replies everyone.
          > I think I am going to try to find some of the caylume lights sticks in an appropriate color and use them to highlight the structural outlines, then just go at it with light painting. There just aren't any places to hide extra light sources such as lanterns. I tried to find that 900lumen flashlight, but it is not imported into the states by the vendor.
          > thanks again
          >

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "klroost" <etterz@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a location I am going to shoot a pano in, the location is
          > > underground. I have shot panos in the underground environment before,
          > > specifically in an abandoned gypsum mine. That location was
          > > challenging, but it was not that bad. I had places for tealights, the
          > > surfaces were all at a decent distance. Thru a combination of
          > > tealights, lightpainting and the built in flash I managed a decent
          > > panorama.
          > >
          > > The location I am now contemplating presents an even more difficult
          > > lighting challenge. Some surfaces are very close(1m[3 feet] or less),
          > > while others are essentially at infinity. There is nowhere to place
          > > tealights or the like. There is a fair amount of water vapor in the
          > > air, which will more than likely negate the use of the built in flash.
          > > This will make getting even exposures difficult(kit lens, I have to
          > > take 38 shots), to say the least.
          > >
          > > Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for lighting? Any tips or
          > > tricks are welcome also.
          > >
          > > If it makes any difference I am going to be shooting from the "middle"
          > > of a waterfall(I hope, I may have to shoot from the top or bottom of
          > > the falls). I will also have to carry whatever I am going to use for
          > > lighting by hand for an extended distance(400-500m) while stooped
          > > over, so weight will be an issue.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance

        • pedro_silva58
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 5, 2009
            if you're still looking for a hi power light, and money is not a big problem, you may want to look for a Microfire Warrior K3500R, rated at 3500lumens...
            cheers,
            pedro

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "klroost" <etterz@...> wrote:

            > Thank you for the replies everyone.
            > I think I am going to try to find some of the caylume lights sticks in an appropriate color and use them to highlight the structural outlines, then just go at it with light painting. There just aren't any places to hide extra light sources such as lanterns. I tried to find that 900lumen flashlight, but it is not imported into the states by the vendor.
            > thanks again
          • Bjørn K Nilssen
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 5, 2009
              On 5 Mar 2009 at 12:51, pedro_silva58 wrote:

              > if you're still looking for a hi power light, and money is not a big problem, you may
              > want to look for a Microfire Warrior K3500R, rated at 3500lumens...

              I started out as a search for a replacement for small tea lights IIRC ;)

              OTOH, where are you going to hide the light sticks then K?
              I'm looking forward to see the results. Sounds like a real challenge shooting a pano from
              the middle of a waterfall inside a dark cave witha kit lens (38 shots?). If you start
              moving lights around (light painting) I think you will face big stitching problems,
              unless there are many easily visible features to put control points on.

              Could you show us the ones you did before, with tea lights?

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "klroost" <etterz@...> wrote:

              > > Thank you for the replies everyone. > I think I am going to try to find some of the
              > caylume lights sticks in an appropriate color and use them to highlight the structural
              > outlines, then just go at it with light painting. There just aren't any places to hide
              > extra light sources such as lanterns. I tried to find that 900lumen flashlight, but it
              > is not imported into the states by the vendor. > thanks again > K

            • Mark D. Fink
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 5, 2009
                What if you used a "potato masher" style flash unit, like one of the Metz
                ones which has a 360 degree diffuser? Then, you could shoot multiple bulb
                exposures, the first "popping" the flash once, the second, popping it twice,
                the third exposure, popping it four times, etc...

                Eventually, the accumulated pops of flash would light even the distant
                reaches, and you could use enfuse to merge them into one properly lit scene.
                The trick is keeping track of what exposure you are on, and how many times
                you've popped the flash. Plus, bring lots of batteries...

                If you hold the flash with the diffuser above and behind the lens, you
                should get good coverage except for the nadir. Then, you'd shoot the nadir
                separately with one properly exposed image, since it will be close by and
                easy to light.

                Mark
                www.pinnacle-vr.com
                www.northernlight.net
                www.360cities.net

              • klroost
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 5, 2009
                  This was easy in comparison, the one i am planning on shooting leaves me nowhere to walk or anywhere to place lights. I am thinking of sticking the caylumes into spaces between the stones the "tunnel" is made from and covering the side facing me with black electrical tape.
                  I think...
                  I'm not even sure I will be able to stand in the middle of the waterfall, it is very very slippery.

                  here is a preview of what I am trying to shoot a pano in...
                  this was a 15sec exp, lightpainted with a 4watt led...more light would help..allot! This is a natural waterfall, just covered over a long time ago.
                  http://abandorama.com/things1/geosrumorsm.jpg

                  gypsum mine with tealights, lightpainted with a million CP light and the built in flash fired also
                  http://abandorama.com/things1/minepano3.1.mov

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bj�rn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

                  > On 5 Mar 2009 at 12:51, pedro_silva58 wrote:
                  >
                  > > if you're still looking for a hi power light, and money is not a big problem, you may
                  > > want to look for a Microfire Warrior K3500R, rated at 3500lumens...
                  >
                  > I started out as a search for a replacement for small tea lights IIRC ;)
                  >
                  > OTOH, where are you going to hide the light sticks then K?
                  > I'm looking forward to see the results. Sounds like a real challenge shooting a pano from
                  > the middle of a waterfall inside a dark cave witha kit lens (38 shots?). If you start
                  > moving lights around (light painting) I think you will face big stitching problems,
                  > unless there are many easily visible features to put control points on.
                  >
                  > Could you show us the ones you did before, with tea lights?
                  >

                  > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "klroost" <etterz@> wrote:
                  >
                  > > > Thank you for the replies everyone. > I think I am going to try to find some of the
                  > > caylume lights sticks in an appropriate color and use them to highlight the structural
                  > > outlines, then just go at it with light painting. There just aren't any places to hide
                  > > extra light sources such as lanterns. I tried to find that 900lumen flashlight, but it
                  > > is not imported into the states by the vendor. > thanks again > K
                  >
                  > --
                  > Bj�rn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D

                • klroost
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 23, 2009
                    I finally got to shoot this. I tried with the calyume light sticks, I had
                    nowhere near enough. So I went with lightpainting it. I think this is the worlds
                    first spherical in a drain, I'm not sure if anyone else has shot an underground
                    waterfall.
                    I would like to reshoot this with a few assistants to illuminate the top and
                    bottom.
                    I lightpainted it with a 4watt/2D cell/cree led flashlight, with a walmart white
                    measuring cup over it for a diffuser. The light was very diffuse and even, just
                    not much throw.
                    http://abandorama.com/18/18falls.swf
                    Any thoughts?

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "klroost" <etterz@...> wrote:

                    > This was easy in comparison, the one i am planning on shooting leaves me nowhere to walk or anywhere to place lights. I am thinking of sticking the caylumes into spaces between the stones the "tunnel" is made from and covering the side facing me with black electrical tape.
                    > I think...
                    > I'm not even sure I will be able to stand in the middle of the waterfall, it is very very slippery.
                    >
                    > here is a preview of what I am trying to shoot a pano in...
                    > this was a 15sec exp, lightpainted with a 4watt led...more light would help..allot! This is a natural waterfall, just covered over a long time ago.
                    > http://abandorama.com/things1/geosrumorsm.jpg
                    >
                    > gypsum mine with tealights, lightpainted with a million CP light and the built in flash fired also
                    > http://abandorama.com/things1/minepano3.1.mov

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bj�rn K Nilssen <bk@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > On 5 Mar 2009 at 12:51, pedro_silva58 wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > if you're still looking for a hi power light, and money is not a big problem, you may
                    > > > want to look for a Microfire Warrior K3500R, rated at 3500lumens...
                    > >
                    > > I started out as a search for a replacement for small tea lights IIRC ;)
                    > >
                    > > OTOH, where are you going to hide the light sticks then K?
                    > > I'm looking forward to see the results. Sounds like a real challenge shooting a pano from
                    > > the middle of a waterfall inside a dark cave witha kit lens (38 shots?). If you start
                    > > moving lights around (light painting) I think you will face big stitching problems,
                    > > unless there are many easily visible features to put control points on.
                    > >
                    > > Could you show us the ones you did before, with tea lights?

                    > > > caylume lights sticks in an appropriate color and use them to highlight the structural
                    > > > outlines, then just go at it with light painting. There just aren't any places to hide
                    > > > extra light sources such as lanterns. I tried to find that 900lumen flashlight, but it
                    > > > is not imported into the states by the vendor. > thanks again > K
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Bj�rn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D

                  • Jan Martin
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 23, 2009
                      I once saw a few series of pictures of sewage systems in the internet.
                      They where taken using very long exposure (must have been like minutes) in
                      total darkness and illuminated using a torch to shine on things one by one.
                      Looked very good.

                      On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:54 PM, klroost <etterz@...> wrote:

                      > I finally got to shoot this. I tried with the calyume light sticks, I had
                      > nowhere near enough. So I went with lightpainting it. I think this is the
                      > worlds first spherical in a drain, I'm not sure if anyone else has shot an
                      > underground waterfall.
                      > I would like to reshoot this with a few assistants to illuminate the top
                      > and bottom.
                      > I lightpainted it with a 4watt/2D cell/cree led flashlight, with a walmart
                      > white measuring cup over it for a diffuser. The light was very diffuse and
                      > even, just not much throw.
                      > Any thoughts?
                      >
                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > "klroost" <etterz@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > This was easy in comparison, the one i am planning on shooting leaves me
                      > nowhere to walk or anywhere to place lights. I am thinking of sticking the
                      > caylumes into spaces between the stones the "tunnel" is made from and
                      > covering the side facing me with black electrical tape.
                      > > I think...
                      > > I'm not even sure I will be able to stand in the middle of the waterfall,
                      > it is very very slippery.
                      > >
                      > > here is a preview of what I am trying to shoot a pano in...
                      > > this was a 15sec exp, lightpainted with a 4watt led...more light would
                      > help..allot! This is a natural waterfall, just covered over a long time ago.
                      > > http://abandorama.com/things1/geosrumorsm.jpg
                      > >
                      > > gypsum mine with tealights, lightpainted with a million CP light and the
                      > built in flash fired also
                      > > http://abandorama.com/things1/minepano3.1.mov

                      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > Bj�rn K Nilssen <bk@> wrote:

                      > problem, you may
                      > > >
                      > > > I started out as a search for a replacement for small tea lights IIRC
                      > ;)
                      > > >
                      > > > OTOH, where are you going to hide the light sticks then K?
                      > > > I'm looking forward to see the results. Sounds like a real challenge
                      > shooting a pano from
                      > > > the middle of a waterfall inside a dark cave witha kit lens (38
                      > shots?). If you start
                      > > > moving lights around (light painting) I think you will face big
                      > stitching problems,
                      > > > unless there are many easily visible features to put control points on.
                      > > >
                      > > > Could you show us the ones you did before, with tea lights?

                      > find some of the
                      > highlight the structural
                      > any places to hide
                      > flashlight, but it
                      > > >
                      > > > --
                      > > > Bj�rn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D

                    • Bernhard Vogl
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 23, 2009
                        Excellent panorama! I don't think it does need more illumination in the
                        depth - that would take away some of the magic of the image...

                        Best regards
                        Bernhard