Enfuse and Enblend reference manuals now on the wiki

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2009
      Hello,

      Thanks to Harry van der Wolf both the Enfuse 3.2 and Enblend 3.2
      reference manuals are now on the wiki. Most things are done, however,
      some are still missing: Integration in the wiki, which means insert
      links to other wiki pages, linking from other wiki pages to the new
      ones. Help would be much appreciated here.

      Proof-reading: The text of Dr. Christoph Spiel is pretty flawless,
      however, conversion process could have introduced errors. There are
      plenty of internal links, but here too, conversion could have been
      less than perfect.

      In short: It's a wiki. If you encounter errors, please correct them
      directly. If you are in doubt or have some comments: Express yourself
      on the related discussion page.

      Here are the URLS:
      http://wiki.panotools.org/Enfuse_reference_manual
      http://wiki.panotools.org/Enblend_reference_manual

      best regards
      Offenburger Str. 33
      79108 Freiburg
    • Christian Bloch
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2009
        Thank you. Just had a peek, it's a great read. Very deep, kudos to
        Harry!

        Christian Bloch

        On Mar 3, 2009, at 12:39 PM, Erik Krause wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Thanks to Harry van der Wolf both the Enfuse 3.2 and Enblend 3.2
        > reference manuals are now on the wiki. Most things are done, however,
        > some are still missing: Integration in the wiki, which means insert
        > links to other wiki pages, linking from other wiki pages to the new
        > ones. Help would be much appreciated here.
        >
        > Proof-reading: The text of Dr. Christoph Spiel is pretty flawless,
        > however, conversion process could have introduced errors. There are
        > plenty of internal links, but here too, conversion could have been
        > less than perfect.
        >
        > In short: It's a wiki. If you encounter errors, please correct them
        > directly. If you are in doubt or have some comments: Express yourself
        > on the related discussion page.
        >
        > Here are the URLS:
        > http://wiki.panotools.org/Enfuse_reference_manual
        > http://wiki.panotools.org/Enblend_reference_manual
        >
        > best regards
        > --
        > Erik Krause
        > Offenburger Str. 33
        > 79108 Freiburg

      • paul womack
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
          Erik Krause wrote:

          > Here are the URLS:
          > http://wiki.panotools.org/Enfuse_reference_manual
          > http://wiki.panotools.org/Enblend_reference_manual

          I appear to have some kind of version problem.

          My enfuse is reported as
          ==== enfuse, version 3.2 ====
          from enblend-3.2-1.fc8.

          3.2-1 is also the most recent src rpm
          here:

          http://bugbear.postle.net/~bruno/apt/redhat/el4/i386/SRPMS.panorama/

          and yet I don't have many of the options (e.g. --depth)
          so elegantly written of in the documentation.

          BugBear
        • Seb Perez-D
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
            On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 10:36, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:

            > I appear to have some kind of version problem.
            > and yet I don't have many of the options (e.g. --depth)
            > so elegantly written of in the documentation.

            The source of the documentation in
            http://panorama.dyndns.org/EandE-documentation/ says that:

            > Note: . The documents also describe the use of
            > -d, --depth=DEPTH Set the number of bits per channel of the output image.
            > DEPTH is 8, 16, 32, R32, or R64.
            > This is not part of the standard trunk yet, but both Christopher Spiel an I myself
            > apply them in our binaries (I don't do that for hugin though as hugin is not yet
            > "compatible" with that option).

            I don't know why this hasn't been added to enblend/enfuse yet.

            Cheers,

            Seb
          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
              In the Enfuse manual it says:

              " If the input images need to be aligned, Hugin (see section Helpful Additional
              Programs) is the tool of choice. It produces images exactly in the format that
              Enfuse expects. "

              I'm assuming that PTGui will also "...produces images exactly in the format that
              Enfuse expects."

              Yes?

              paul womack wrote:
              > Erik Krause wrote:
              >
              >>Here are the URLS:
              >>http://wiki.panotools.org/Enfuse_reference_manual
              >>http://wiki.panotools.org/Enblend_reference_manual
              >

              > I appear to have some kind of version problem.
              >
              > My enfuse is reported as
              > ==== enfuse, version 3.2 ====
              > from enblend-3.2-1.fc8.
              >
              > 3.2-1 is also the most recent src rpm
              > here:
              >
              > http://bugbear.postle.net/~bruno/apt/redhat/el4/i386/SRPMS.panorama/
              >
              > and yet I don't have many of the options (e.g. --depth)
              > so elegantly written of in the documentation.
              >
              > BugBear

            • Harry van der Wolf
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
                On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 10:36, paul womack
                <pwomack@...<pwomack%40papermule.co.uk>>
                wrote:

                > I appear to have some kind of version problem.
                > and yet I don't have many of the options (e.g. --depth)
                > so elegantly written of in the documentation.

                The source of the documentation in
                http://panorama.dyndns.org/EandE-documentation/ says that:

                > Note: . The documents also describe the use of
                > -d, --depth=DEPTH Set the number of bits per channel of the output image.
                > DEPTH is 8, 16, 32, R32, or R64.
                > This is not part of the standard trunk yet, but both Christopher Spiel an
                I myself
                > apply them in our binaries (I don't do that for hugin though as hugin is
                not yet
                > "compatible" with that option).

                I don't know why this hasn't been added to enblend/enfuse yet.

                Cheers,

                Seb

                Christoph Spiel delivered 7 patches to Andrew somewhere in September - Early
                October 2008 which Andrew applied on 13-09 and on 22-09. After that the
                bit-depth patch/enhancement was delivered to Andrew by Christoph but that
                got stuck in Andrews "Input Queue" I suppose. Maybe because he started
                working on a nona-gpu version.
                I think it is a great enhancement and I applied it immediately to my OSX
                build which I use in my ImageFuser. The "stand alone" enblend/enfuse builds
                I occasionally release are 100% trunk. The ones to be used in Hugin are also
                100% because there currently is a small compatibility issue. Hugin needs to
                be adapted before this patch can be used (not only OSX, but all OSes).
                I too hope that the bit-depth patch is applied soon as from that moment we
                can make the (minor) adjustment to Hugin.

                2009/3/4 Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>

                > In the Enfuse manual it says:
                >
                > " If the input images need to be aligned, Hugin (see section Helpful
                > Additional
                > Programs) is the tool of choice. It produces images exactly in the format
                > that
                > Enfuse expects. "
                >
                > I'm assuming that PTGui will also "...produces images exactly in the format
                > that
                > Enfuse expects."
                >
                > Yes?

                What this phrase is meaning (and maybe it should be rewritten) is that if
                the images need to be aligned, you can use one of the Hugin tools called
                align_image_stack. Align_image_stack delivers aligned, "stacked" images
                which can be used by enfuse. It is not really a "format" issue, it's a "need
                for nicely aligned images" issue.
                I have no idea whether ptgui (or one of the other commercial programs) has
                an align_image_stack like tool.

                Harry

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 6, 2009
                  Christian Bloch wrote:

                  > Thank you. Just had a peek, it's a great read. Very deep, kudos to
                  > Harry!

                  Well, the text is actually by Dr. Christoph L. Spiel and published under
                  GFDL, which means we could import it into the wiki...

                • Harry van der Wolf
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 6, 2009
                    Correctly stated by Erik.

                    As also mentioned on my site <
                    http://panorama.dyndns.org/EandE-documentation/>:
                    "These documents are released under the *GNU Free Documentation
                    License*which makes it possible for me to publish them on my website.
                    Please note
                    that this is not my work at all. All credits go to dr. Christopher Spiel. "

                    The documents are not my work.
                    I worked on the conversion to wiki, but Erik did also his part in this
                    conversion.
                    (And it's not finished yet. If you see errors or missing internal links:
                    please correct and adapt them. It is a wiki after all)

                    Harry

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 6, 2009
                      Am Tuesday, March 03, 2009 um 21:39 schrieb Erik Krause:

                      > In short: It's a wiki. If you encounter errors, please correct them
                      > directly. If you are in doubt or have some comments: Express yourself
                      > on the related discussion page.

                      Sorry for inconvenience. There was an update to the wiki software
                      which apparently caused that many users couldn't edit any pages. This
                      will be corrected soon, please be patient.

                      best regards
                      Offenburger Str. 33
                      79108 Freiburg
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 7, 2009
                        Am Saturday, March 07, 2009 um 0:17 schrieb Erik Krause:

                        > Sorry for inconvenience. There was an update to the wiki software
                        > which apparently caused that many users couldn't edit any pages. This
                        > will be corrected soon, please be patient.

                        Ok, it's editable again (to logged in users as before)...

                        best regards
                        Offenburger Str. 33
                        79108 Freiburg
                      • Harry van der Wolf
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 14, 2009
                          All,

                          After the addition/conversion to wiki.panotools.org, Erik detected that the
                          formula's that were displayed in the Enfuse pdf, were not displayed in the
                          wiki, due to the incompatibility with mathlab. The same formula's were in
                          the html version too, but those couldn't be displayed either by my browsers
                          (Firefox and Safari).
                          So, I also updated the enfuse reference HTML manual on <
                          http://panorama.dyndns.org/EandE-documentation/> and added png's displaying
                          the formula's instead on the original mathlab formula's.

                          Hoi,
                          Harry

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 14, 2009
                            Harry van der Wolf wrote:

                            > Erik detected that the
                            > formula's that were displayed in the Enfuse pdf, were not displayed in the
                            > wiki, due to the incompatibility with mathlab. The same formula's were in
                            > the html version too, but those couldn't be displayed either by my browsers
                            > (Firefox and Safari).

                            The interesting thing is, that the original TeX version contains the
                            formulas in three different formats, one being kind of simplified TeX,
                            one native TeX, one MathML which Firefox and other browsers should be
                            able to display. Unfortunately the MathML version didn't make it into
                            the HTML, only the simplified one.

                            texi2html seems pretty outdated in this regard...