RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Code, Clients, Servers, etc.

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
      Exactly,

      It's the same as the photography, which they CAN easily reuse and resell and
      rebrand as their own against normal wishes.

      Normally, you sell a copyright and give your babies away, and rely on the
      justice system so that everyone plays by the rules.

      1. Someone clever enough to steal your code, probably isn't going to
      want it. J

      2. There's very little you can do to prevent code theft, no matter
      what. Even xml embedded in a swf, is pretty trivial to extract.

      So I do three things.

      1. Rely on the justice system.

      2. Make their purchase of copyrights clear

      3. Keep tabs on the client for un-authorized reuse. You can do this
      via call home scripts, even something as simple as google analytics in html.

      I believe you can also setup flash based GA reporting.

      Copyright, is essentially designed exactly for this reason. Books,
      photographs, audio etc.

      It's always been very easy to reduplicate original work and re-sell/re-use
      it. So if you are lucky enough to live in the US and sell to US clients, you
      have some security to rely on it.

      If your client is in germany, ie ZKM, you might as well bang your head
      against a wall.

      Sacha Griffin

      Southern Digital Solutions LLC

      http://www.southern-digital.com

      http://www.seeit360.net

      GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

      404-551-4275

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
        Blake,

        I don't know much about KRPano but maybe there's a solution.

        I use FPP and it has an option of embedding the XML content within the
        html file that publishes the panorama, leaving you with no external XML
        file. The great advantage is that you can encrypt the html code with
        encryption software and - believe me - it becomes absolutely unreadable.
        (besides it'll give extra control options such as allowing it to only
        run just in specific domains)

        Take a look at HTML Guardian's page. Its a pretty powerful tool:

        http://www.protware.com/

        Regards,

        Fabio.