Re: Code, Clients, Servers, etc.

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2 3:51 AM
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Nicolas Burtey" <nburtey@...> wrote:

      > > kind of an open book on a couple years worth of code collecting and...
      >
      > What is so important for not giving your xml ? You have special plugin
      > developped by your own ?
      >
      > And krpano for flash only exist since last summer ...

      We are not talking about a standard one page panorama with default settings for the
      viewer.

      If you have developed a Virtual Tour with maps, hotspots, popups special transitions, etc
      than you do not just want the client to be able to reuse your work perhaps by taking the
      panos himself and just replace the images.

      Your XML is a template you can reuse for other clients with just a few alterations and
      different colors on toolbars and other elements in it.

      Its your work and it is copyrighted as any other work.

      Hans
    • aiwetir
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2 10:53 AM
        i haven't read this whole discussion but as i see it you only have a
        few options.

        first sell it to them for what you would charge as a web developer
        second don't give it to them at all, you are 'just the photographer'
        their own web developer that they pay for that job can figure it out.
        give them some self contained domain specific swf's
        third, just don't worry about it and give it away, i'm sure the web
        dev can rip it all off if they want.

        my 2 cents.
        mmm
      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3 5:42 AM
          Exactly,

          It's the same as the photography, which they CAN easily reuse and resell and
          rebrand as their own against normal wishes.

          Normally, you sell a copyright and give your babies away, and rely on the
          justice system so that everyone plays by the rules.

          1. Someone clever enough to steal your code, probably isn't going to
          want it. J

          2. There's very little you can do to prevent code theft, no matter
          what. Even xml embedded in a swf, is pretty trivial to extract.

          So I do three things.

          1. Rely on the justice system.

          2. Make their purchase of copyrights clear

          3. Keep tabs on the client for un-authorized reuse. You can do this
          via call home scripts, even something as simple as google analytics in html.

          I believe you can also setup flash based GA reporting.

          Copyright, is essentially designed exactly for this reason. Books,
          photographs, audio etc.

          It's always been very easy to reduplicate original work and re-sell/re-use
          it. So if you are lucky enough to live in the US and sell to US clients, you
          have some security to rely on it.

          If your client is in germany, ie ZKM, you might as well bang your head
          against a wall.

          Sacha Griffin

          Southern Digital Solutions LLC

          http://www.southern-digital.com

          http://www.seeit360.net

          GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

          404-551-4275

          > > kind of an open book on a couple years worth of code collecting and...
          >
          > What is so important for not giving your xml ? You have special plugin
          > developped by your own ?
          >
          > And krpano for flash only exist since last summer ...

          We are not talking about a standard one page panorama with default settings
          for the
          viewer.

          If you have developed a Virtual Tour with maps, hotspots, popups special
          transitions, etc
          than you do not just want the client to be able to reuse your work perhaps
          by taking the
          panos himself and just replace the images.

          Your XML is a template you can reuse for other clients with just a few
          alterations and
          different colors on toolbars and other elements in it.

          Its your work and it is copyrighted as any other work.

        • Fabio Bustamante
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3 10:41 AM
            Blake,

            I don't know much about KRPano but maybe there's a solution.

            I use FPP and it has an option of embedding the XML content within the
            html file that publishes the panorama, leaving you with no external XML
            file. The great advantage is that you can encrypt the html code with
            encryption software and - believe me - it becomes absolutely unreadable.
            (besides it'll give extra control options such as allowing it to only
            run just in specific domains)

            Take a look at HTML Guardian's page. Its a pretty powerful tool:

            http://www.protware.com/

            Regards,

            Fabio.