Re: [PanoToolsNG] Code, Clients, Servers, etc.

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2009
      Sometime around 28/2/09 (at 10:23 -0800) Blake Michaelson said:

      >A few hours ago Klaus from KRPano released a new tool (and whole new beta)
      >that allows you to embed your primary XML into the swf

      It is a rare client who would look at some complex XML and decide
      that it would be simple to do it themselves. :-) But fortuitous
      timing indeed.

    • Nicolas Burtey
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
        > kind of an open book on a couple years worth of code collecting and...

        What is so important for not giving your xml ? You have special plugin
        developped by your own ?

        And krpano for flash only exist since last summer ...

        Regards,

        Nicolas B
        http://www.nicolasburtey.net
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Nicolas Burtey" <nburtey@...> wrote:

          > > kind of an open book on a couple years worth of code collecting and...
          >
          > What is so important for not giving your xml ? You have special plugin
          > developped by your own ?
          >
          > And krpano for flash only exist since last summer ...

          We are not talking about a standard one page panorama with default settings for the
          viewer.

          If you have developed a Virtual Tour with maps, hotspots, popups special transitions, etc
          than you do not just want the client to be able to reuse your work perhaps by taking the
          panos himself and just replace the images.

          Your XML is a template you can reuse for other clients with just a few alterations and
          different colors on toolbars and other elements in it.

          Its your work and it is copyrighted as any other work.

          Hans
        • aiwetir
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
            i haven't read this whole discussion but as i see it you only have a
            few options.

            first sell it to them for what you would charge as a web developer
            second don't give it to them at all, you are 'just the photographer'
            their own web developer that they pay for that job can figure it out.
            give them some self contained domain specific swf's
            third, just don't worry about it and give it away, i'm sure the web
            dev can rip it all off if they want.

            my 2 cents.
            mmm
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
              Exactly,

              It's the same as the photography, which they CAN easily reuse and resell and
              rebrand as their own against normal wishes.

              Normally, you sell a copyright and give your babies away, and rely on the
              justice system so that everyone plays by the rules.

              1. Someone clever enough to steal your code, probably isn't going to
              want it. J

              2. There's very little you can do to prevent code theft, no matter
              what. Even xml embedded in a swf, is pretty trivial to extract.

              So I do three things.

              1. Rely on the justice system.

              2. Make their purchase of copyrights clear

              3. Keep tabs on the client for un-authorized reuse. You can do this
              via call home scripts, even something as simple as google analytics in html.

              I believe you can also setup flash based GA reporting.

              Copyright, is essentially designed exactly for this reason. Books,
              photographs, audio etc.

              It's always been very easy to reduplicate original work and re-sell/re-use
              it. So if you are lucky enough to live in the US and sell to US clients, you
              have some security to rely on it.

              If your client is in germany, ie ZKM, you might as well bang your head
              against a wall.

              Sacha Griffin

              Southern Digital Solutions LLC

              http://www.southern-digital.com

              http://www.seeit360.net

              GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

              404-551-4275

              > > kind of an open book on a couple years worth of code collecting and...
              >
              > What is so important for not giving your xml ? You have special plugin
              > developped by your own ?
              >
              > And krpano for flash only exist since last summer ...

              We are not talking about a standard one page panorama with default settings
              for the
              viewer.

              If you have developed a Virtual Tour with maps, hotspots, popups special
              transitions, etc
              than you do not just want the client to be able to reuse your work perhaps
              by taking the
              panos himself and just replace the images.

              Your XML is a template you can reuse for other clients with just a few
              alterations and
              different colors on toolbars and other elements in it.

              Its your work and it is copyrighted as any other work.

            • Fabio Bustamante
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                Blake,

                I don't know much about KRPano but maybe there's a solution.

                I use FPP and it has an option of embedding the XML content within the
                html file that publishes the panorama, leaving you with no external XML
                file. The great advantage is that you can encrypt the html code with
                encryption software and - believe me - it becomes absolutely unreadable.
                (besides it'll give extra control options such as allowing it to only
                run just in specific domains)

                Take a look at HTML Guardian's page. Its a pretty powerful tool:

                http://www.protware.com/

                Regards,

                Fabio.