Re: [PanoToolsNG] Code, Clients, Servers, etc.

  • Peter Nyfeler
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2009
      Bjørn K Nilssen schrieb:

      > This feature seems to be lacking with other players?

      No, Pano2VR has this also....

      Cheers

      Peter
    • Blake Michaelson
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 28, 2009
        Thanks for all your replies - certainly appreciate it!

        The concern I have is spending a whole lot of time on XML coding (and making
        panos) - turning a project over to a client - they see "just how simple it
        is" and determine that they no longer need your services...

        A few hours ago Klaus from KRPano released a new tool (and whole new beta)
        that allows you to embed your primary XML into the swf - fortuitous timing
        for me!

        On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Peter Nyfeler <peter.nyfeler@...>wrote:

        > Bjørn K Nilssen schrieb:
        >

        > > This feature seems to be lacking with other players?
        > >

        > No, Pano2VR has this also....
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Peter

      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 28, 2009
          Sometime around 28/2/09 (at 10:23 -0800) Blake Michaelson said:

          >A few hours ago Klaus from KRPano released a new tool (and whole new beta)
          >that allows you to embed your primary XML into the swf

          It is a rare client who would look at some complex XML and decide
          that it would be simple to do it themselves. :-) But fortuitous
          timing indeed.

        • Nicolas Burtey
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
            > kind of an open book on a couple years worth of code collecting and...

            What is so important for not giving your xml ? You have special plugin
            developped by your own ?

            And krpano for flash only exist since last summer ...

            Regards,

            Nicolas B
            http://www.nicolasburtey.net
          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Nicolas Burtey" <nburtey@...> wrote:

              > > kind of an open book on a couple years worth of code collecting and...
              >
              > What is so important for not giving your xml ? You have special plugin
              > developped by your own ?
              >
              > And krpano for flash only exist since last summer ...

              We are not talking about a standard one page panorama with default settings for the
              viewer.

              If you have developed a Virtual Tour with maps, hotspots, popups special transitions, etc
              than you do not just want the client to be able to reuse your work perhaps by taking the
              panos himself and just replace the images.

              Your XML is a template you can reuse for other clients with just a few alterations and
              different colors on toolbars and other elements in it.

              Its your work and it is copyrighted as any other work.

              Hans
            • aiwetir
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
                i haven't read this whole discussion but as i see it you only have a
                few options.

                first sell it to them for what you would charge as a web developer
                second don't give it to them at all, you are 'just the photographer'
                their own web developer that they pay for that job can figure it out.
                give them some self contained domain specific swf's
                third, just don't worry about it and give it away, i'm sure the web
                dev can rip it all off if they want.

                my 2 cents.
                mmm
              • Sacha Griffin
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                  Exactly,

                  It's the same as the photography, which they CAN easily reuse and resell and
                  rebrand as their own against normal wishes.

                  Normally, you sell a copyright and give your babies away, and rely on the
                  justice system so that everyone plays by the rules.

                  1. Someone clever enough to steal your code, probably isn't going to
                  want it. J

                  2. There's very little you can do to prevent code theft, no matter
                  what. Even xml embedded in a swf, is pretty trivial to extract.

                  So I do three things.

                  1. Rely on the justice system.

                  2. Make their purchase of copyrights clear

                  3. Keep tabs on the client for un-authorized reuse. You can do this
                  via call home scripts, even something as simple as google analytics in html.

                  I believe you can also setup flash based GA reporting.

                  Copyright, is essentially designed exactly for this reason. Books,
                  photographs, audio etc.

                  It's always been very easy to reduplicate original work and re-sell/re-use
                  it. So if you are lucky enough to live in the US and sell to US clients, you
                  have some security to rely on it.

                  If your client is in germany, ie ZKM, you might as well bang your head
                  against a wall.

                  Sacha Griffin

                  Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                  http://www.southern-digital.com

                  http://www.seeit360.net

                  GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

                  404-551-4275

                  > > kind of an open book on a couple years worth of code collecting and...
                  >
                  > What is so important for not giving your xml ? You have special plugin
                  > developped by your own ?
                  >
                  > And krpano for flash only exist since last summer ...

                  We are not talking about a standard one page panorama with default settings
                  for the
                  viewer.

                  If you have developed a Virtual Tour with maps, hotspots, popups special
                  transitions, etc
                  than you do not just want the client to be able to reuse your work perhaps
                  by taking the
                  panos himself and just replace the images.

                  Your XML is a template you can reuse for other clients with just a few
                  alterations and
                  different colors on toolbars and other elements in it.

                  Its your work and it is copyrighted as any other work.

                • Fabio Bustamante
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                    Blake,

                    I don't know much about KRPano but maybe there's a solution.

                    I use FPP and it has an option of embedding the XML content within the
                    html file that publishes the panorama, leaving you with no external XML
                    file. The great advantage is that you can encrypt the html code with
                    encryption software and - believe me - it becomes absolutely unreadable.
                    (besides it'll give extra control options such as allowing it to only
                    run just in specific domains)

                    Take a look at HTML Guardian's page. Its a pretty powerful tool:

                    http://www.protware.com/

                    Regards,

                    Fabio.