Re: [PanoToolsNG] Code, Clients, Servers, etc.

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2009
      On 28 Feb 2009 at 2:09, Blake Michaelson wrote:

      > I'm running into a dilemma where a client would like to host a virtual tour
      > I created for them on their servers - it's a 20 node tour, and a TON of
      > coding in KRPano... I've usually just hosted clients tours on my own server
      > (Amazon S3 server), but they're adamant about wanting it entirely on their
      > domain... I feel a bit vulnerable giving up my code to their web design team
      > and art department (by my code, I mean my horrendous number of XML lines)
      > and my "project" files - obviously it's not just pieces of the pie they're
      > getting, but the whole thing... kind of an open book on a couple years worth
      > of code collecting and... any advice as to how to protect ones self -
      > obfuscated XML perhaps? Legal documents? Just curious - I'd kind of like
      > to not get burned down the road by this one... TIA - Blake.

      What is protecting your XML files from peeking at them when they are on your own server?
      I mostly use Pure Player Java/Flash, and there is usually no problem looking at the code
      inside XML files, js files or html.
      But KRpano may do it differently?

      OTOH, if you really want to protect your code PurePlayer comes with full
      protection/encryption that may be locked to only be run on a specific domain, for a given
      time period etc. This feature seems to be lacking with other players?

    • Peter Nyfeler
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 28, 2009
        Bjørn K Nilssen schrieb:

        > This feature seems to be lacking with other players?

        No, Pano2VR has this also....

        Cheers

        Peter
      • Blake Michaelson
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 28, 2009
          Thanks for all your replies - certainly appreciate it!

          The concern I have is spending a whole lot of time on XML coding (and making
          panos) - turning a project over to a client - they see "just how simple it
          is" and determine that they no longer need your services...

          A few hours ago Klaus from KRPano released a new tool (and whole new beta)
          that allows you to embed your primary XML into the swf - fortuitous timing
          for me!

          On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Peter Nyfeler <peter.nyfeler@...>wrote:

          > Bjørn K Nilssen schrieb:
          >

          > > This feature seems to be lacking with other players?
          > >

          > No, Pano2VR has this also....
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Peter

        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 28, 2009
            Sometime around 28/2/09 (at 10:23 -0800) Blake Michaelson said:

            >A few hours ago Klaus from KRPano released a new tool (and whole new beta)
            >that allows you to embed your primary XML into the swf

            It is a rare client who would look at some complex XML and decide
            that it would be simple to do it themselves. :-) But fortuitous
            timing indeed.

          • Nicolas Burtey
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
              > kind of an open book on a couple years worth of code collecting and...

              What is so important for not giving your xml ? You have special plugin
              developped by your own ?

              And krpano for flash only exist since last summer ...

              Regards,

              Nicolas B
              http://www.nicolasburtey.net
            • Hans Nyberg
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Nicolas Burtey" <nburtey@...> wrote:

                > > kind of an open book on a couple years worth of code collecting and...
                >
                > What is so important for not giving your xml ? You have special plugin
                > developped by your own ?
                >
                > And krpano for flash only exist since last summer ...

                We are not talking about a standard one page panorama with default settings for the
                viewer.

                If you have developed a Virtual Tour with maps, hotspots, popups special transitions, etc
                than you do not just want the client to be able to reuse your work perhaps by taking the
                panos himself and just replace the images.

                Your XML is a template you can reuse for other clients with just a few alterations and
                different colors on toolbars and other elements in it.

                Its your work and it is copyrighted as any other work.

                Hans
              • aiwetir
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
                  i haven't read this whole discussion but as i see it you only have a
                  few options.

                  first sell it to them for what you would charge as a web developer
                  second don't give it to them at all, you are 'just the photographer'
                  their own web developer that they pay for that job can figure it out.
                  give them some self contained domain specific swf's
                  third, just don't worry about it and give it away, i'm sure the web
                  dev can rip it all off if they want.

                  my 2 cents.
                  mmm
                • Sacha Griffin
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                    Exactly,

                    It's the same as the photography, which they CAN easily reuse and resell and
                    rebrand as their own against normal wishes.

                    Normally, you sell a copyright and give your babies away, and rely on the
                    justice system so that everyone plays by the rules.

                    1. Someone clever enough to steal your code, probably isn't going to
                    want it. J

                    2. There's very little you can do to prevent code theft, no matter
                    what. Even xml embedded in a swf, is pretty trivial to extract.

                    So I do three things.

                    1. Rely on the justice system.

                    2. Make their purchase of copyrights clear

                    3. Keep tabs on the client for un-authorized reuse. You can do this
                    via call home scripts, even something as simple as google analytics in html.

                    I believe you can also setup flash based GA reporting.

                    Copyright, is essentially designed exactly for this reason. Books,
                    photographs, audio etc.

                    It's always been very easy to reduplicate original work and re-sell/re-use
                    it. So if you are lucky enough to live in the US and sell to US clients, you
                    have some security to rely on it.

                    If your client is in germany, ie ZKM, you might as well bang your head
                    against a wall.

                    Sacha Griffin

                    Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                    http://www.southern-digital.com

                    http://www.seeit360.net

                    GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

                    404-551-4275

                    > > kind of an open book on a couple years worth of code collecting and...
                    >
                    > What is so important for not giving your xml ? You have special plugin
                    > developped by your own ?
                    >
                    > And krpano for flash only exist since last summer ...

                    We are not talking about a standard one page panorama with default settings
                    for the
                    viewer.

                    If you have developed a Virtual Tour with maps, hotspots, popups special
                    transitions, etc
                    than you do not just want the client to be able to reuse your work perhaps
                    by taking the
                    panos himself and just replace the images.

                    Your XML is a template you can reuse for other clients with just a few
                    alterations and
                    different colors on toolbars and other elements in it.

                    Its your work and it is copyrighted as any other work.

                  • Fabio Bustamante
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                      Blake,

                      I don't know much about KRPano but maybe there's a solution.

                      I use FPP and it has an option of embedding the XML content within the
                      html file that publishes the panorama, leaving you with no external XML
                      file. The great advantage is that you can encrypt the html code with
                      encryption software and - believe me - it becomes absolutely unreadable.
                      (besides it'll give extra control options such as allowing it to only
                      run just in specific domains)

                      Take a look at HTML Guardian's page. Its a pretty powerful tool:

                      http://www.protware.com/

                      Regards,

                      Fabio.