Re: Macro panoramas with webcam

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 28, 2009
      The Orbit Pro has a tilt range of what looks like +/- 45 degrees in
      fact not +/- 90.

      There is third party webcam software "Open Video Capture" which is
      mainly for video but it gives the actual shutter time values of
      the "Exposure" slider. Longest exposure is in fact 1/5" sec.

      Astronomers it turns out the Logitech Pro 9000 mostly. Also 2meg
      sensor, Zeiss lens. Same software as the Notebook Pro. They remove
      the lens and add a mount for a telescope.
      http://ghonis2.ho8.com/Pro9000mod2.html
      This seems to be pretty straightforward.

      One could add a fisheye lens like the new Sunex 1/4" format fisheye
      http://www.sunex.com/News/Press%20Release%20DSL216.pdf
      Sunex mini fisheyes are not expensive
      http://www.optics-online.com/dsl_fisheye.asp

      This might be simpler in the long run than making a tilting mini pano
      head for spherical macro panoramas ... though one wouldnt have
      autofocus.

      Peter Murphy

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" wrote:
      > > > PTGui says the HFOV for an image in vertical format is 46
      > degrees --
      > > > which seems about right to me
      > > >
      > > > Peter
      > >
      > > Hmmm, that's seems bit tight for a (practical) 360x180.
      > > It would take about 6 rows then, I 'guestimate'.
      > > I'd need to build a tiny tilting panohead for accurate and quick
      > > adjustments....
      > > With a sufficiently stiff mechanical support this camera should
      > yield
      > > quite a nice macro-VR resolution though!
      > >
      > > Erik L
      > >
      > The Logitech Orbit Pro has motorized pan through +/- 90, tilt +/-
      90.
      > So very convenient for a least half a spherical panorama -- if it
      > werent for the non-NPP lens motion. And it can be scripted, the
      > capture, I think, with the Abelcam software, but not very
      accurately.
      > If you set the capture to do very small steps, say 5 degrees, I
      think
      > you might be able to do scenes sharp to say 10cm. But I havent got
      > one. Ive made a little rotator from a miniature servo for the
      > Notebook Pro camera.
      >
      > The Orbit Pro lens has the right (flat rotation on the axis of the
      > NPP but about 1cm forward) motion actually to capture macro stereo
      > panoramas in an automated (cine recording/strip extraction and
      > assembly in Stereophoto Maker) fashion I think. But the quality
      will
      > not be the greatest being video based
      >
      > Peter Murphy

    • panovrx
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 17, 2009
        Here is another kind of "orbit" webcam, also good for capturing panoramic views
        http://www.vimeo.com/3712183
        ... I've programmed it to look where I want pretty much

        This movie is actually with my Logitech/Sunex webcam, being about the central 140 degrees of the fisheye view. The lighting is from the LED on the webcam -- a handy thing for closeup views, pity it is red.

        Peter Murphy