Re: Macro panoramas with webcam

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 28, 2009
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" wrote:
      > > PTGui says the HFOV for an image in vertical format is 46
      degrees --
      > > which seems about right to me
      > >
      > > Peter
      >
      > Hmmm, that's seems bit tight for a (practical) 360x180.
      > It would take about 6 rows then, I 'guestimate'.
      > I'd need to build a tiny tilting panohead for accurate and quick
      > adjustments....
      > With a sufficiently stiff mechanical support this camera should
      yield
      > quite a nice macro-VR resolution though!
      >
      > Erik L

      The Logitech Orbit Pro has motorized pan through +/- 90, tilt +/- 90.
      So very convenient for a least half a spherical panorama -- if it
      werent for the non-NPP lens motion. And it can be scripted, the
      capture, I think, with the Abelcam software, but not very accurately.
      If you set the capture to do very small steps, say 5 degrees, I think
      you might be able to do scenes sharp to say 10cm. But I havent got
      one. Ive made a little rotator from a miniature servo for the
      Notebook Pro camera.

      The Orbit Pro lens has the right (flat rotation on the axis of the
      NPP but about 1cm forward) motion actually to capture macro stereo
      panoramas in an automated (cine recording/strip extraction and
      assembly in Stereophoto Maker) fashion I think. But the quality will
      not be the greatest being video based

      Peter Murphy
    • panovrx
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 17 2:03 AM
        Here is another kind of "orbit" webcam, also good for capturing panoramic views
        http://www.vimeo.com/3712183
        ... I've programmed it to look where I want pretty much

        This movie is actually with my Logitech/Sunex webcam, being about the central 140 degrees of the fisheye view. The lighting is from the LED on the webcam -- a handy thing for closeup views, pity it is red.

        Peter Murphy