Macro panoramas with webcam

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 28, 2009
      Trouble with dinosaurs --
      http://www.mediavr.com/dinos.jpg
      the little guy is about 8mm high and the viewpoint is about 1.5cm off
      the ground

      I have been wanting to do some panoramas of ants, architectural models
      etc and so did a test with the smallest camera I have -- a Logitech
      Notebook Pro. I attached a large washer under the camera with Bluetak,
      traced its outline on paper and rotated and shifted the camera with
      that as a guide til I found the No Parallax Point. It stitched ok --
      this is three shots in vertical format = about 100 degrees cylindrical.
      The image quality with the Zeiss lens on this webcam is good. It is
      just a pity there is no aperture to get more depth of field. But it
      will give you a lower viewpoint than almost anything (except a borecam).
      The Logitech Orbit actually has motorized pan and tilt, but the
      rotation is not NPP and it is not quite as small as the Logitech
      Notebook Pro, but the optics etc are the same.

      Peter Murphy
    • panovrx
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 17, 2009
        Here is another kind of "orbit" webcam, also good for capturing panoramic views
        http://www.vimeo.com/3712183
        ... I've programmed it to look where I want pretty much

        This movie is actually with my Logitech/Sunex webcam, being about the central 140 degrees of the fisheye view. The lighting is from the LED on the webcam -- a handy thing for closeup views, pity it is red.

        Peter Murphy