White Balance across 180° seam

  • Blake Michaelson
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
      I've output 3 16-bit TIF's of a pano shot +/-2EV - enfused them, and wanted
      to adjust the white balance in PS3 - I'm running into a problem across the
      180° boundary... it's showing a visible seam - any suggestions for workflow
      or tools to make this happen? TIA - Blake

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
        Blake Michaelson wrote:

        > I've output 3 16-bit TIF's of a pano shot +/-2EV - enfused them, and wanted
        > to adjust the white balance in PS3 - I'm running into a problem across the
        > 180° boundary... it's showing a visible seam - any suggestions for workflow
        > or tools to make this happen?

        Where the panos ok before enfusing? Where they ok immediately after
        enfusing? If not, did you specify the -w switch in order to enfuse
        around the +/-180° seam?

        White balance is a global operation, hence it should not create any seam
        problem. Didn't you do any local operations like shadows/highlights,
        large radius USM etc.?

      • Blake Michaelson
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
          I just loaded the RAW files into PTGui 8.1, made a template from the 0 EV,
          applied the template to the +/-2EV's... each of the resulting panos was off
          on color cast, but figured I could correct the final image rather than mess
          with 3 individual images - I enfused (with your 360° droplet batch file -
          thanks btw) and came up with a pretty good image, just the wrong color cast
          and WB... everything is too warm.

          I can correct the image to my liking in CS3 (the only thing I'm doing is
          defining the white point via CTL-L, and selecting a white point with the
          dropper), but when I export that to a jpg for use in krpano I end up with a
          very visible seam across the 180° boundary...

          Currently playing with the 3 exposures and photomatix to see what i can come
          up with, but definitely prefer the look of enfuse...

          On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

          > Blake Michaelson wrote:
          >
          > > I've output 3 16-bit TIF's of a pano shot +/-2EV - enfused them, and
          > wanted
          > > to adjust the white balance in PS3 - I'm running into a problem across
          > the
          > > 180° boundary... it's showing a visible seam - any suggestions for
          > workflow
          > > or tools to make this happen?
          >
          > Where the panos ok before enfusing? Where they ok immediately after
          > enfusing? If not, did you specify the -w switch in order to enfuse
          > around the +/-180° seam?
          >
          > White balance is a global operation, hence it should not create any seam
          > problem. Didn't you do any local operations like shadows/highlights,
          > large radius USM etc.?
          >
          > --
          > Erik Krause
          > http://www.erik-krause.de

        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Blake Michaelson <blake.michaelson@...> wrote:

            > I've output 3 16-bit TIF's of a pano shot +/-2EV - enfused them, and wanted
            > to adjust the white balance in PS3 - I'm running into a problem across the
            > 180° boundary... it's showing a visible seam - any suggestions for workflow
            > or tools to make this happen? TIA - Blake

            180 degree boundary?

            I assume you men the 360 degree boundary.
            180 is the zenith.

            Hans
          • Blake Michaelson
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
              THE seam - 0/360° is probably a better term

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
                Hans Nyberg wrote:

                > 180 degree boundary?
                >
                > I assume you men the 360 degree boundary.

                Depends on where you put the point of origin. If 0° is the center the
                seam is at +/- 180°. Zenith would then be +90°, nadir -90°. This is how
                Yaw and Pitch is used in panotools, PTGui and so on...

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
                  Blake Michaelson wrote:

                  > I can correct the image to my liking in CS3 (the only thing I'm doing is
                  > defining the white point via CTL-L, and selecting a white point with the
                  > dropper), but when I export that to a jpg for use in krpano I end up with a
                  > very visible seam across the 180° boundary...

                  You can check the +/-180° seam inside photoshop already if you use the
                  offset filter on the flattened image (Filter->Other->Offset, check Wrap
                  Around and Preview and shift f.e. half the width). The CTL-L levels
                  adjustment (which BTW isn't a proper white balance) should by no means
                  cause the seam.

                  How did you shoot the images? AFAIK dcraw (from within PTGui) uses the
                  camera white balance hence if you shot them on auto white balance the
                  problem might be there. On the other hand the blender should eliminate
                  any hard seam. However, RAW file handling inside PTGui is not suitable
                  for high quality work anyway, hence I recommend using your favorite RAW
                  converter which would not only solve the white balance problem...

                • Blake Michaelson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
                    I had a feeling somebody might say that about using PTGui with RAW... it was
                    just too easy!

                    Back to my old workflow of exporting RAW to 16-Bit TIFF...

                    BTW - where ARE you correcting the WB? And what setting are you using on
                    your camera?

                    I was under the impression that the on-camera WB didn't affect the RAW -
                    only the JPG that was created...

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
                      Am Thursday, February 26, 2009 um 15:03 schrieb Blake Michaelson:

                      > BTW - where ARE you correcting the WB? And what setting are you using
                      > on your camera?

                      Depends. Easy subjects can be shot with fixed WB - either a preset or
                      measured from a white card (or a piece of paper). Difficult subjects
                      are better adjusted individually in RAW converter.

                      > I was under the impression that the on-camera WB didn't affect the RAW -
                      > only the JPG that was created...

                      That's true. But the WB setting is stored in Metadata as well. Since
                      PTGui doesn't allow to adjust WB during RAW conversion it tells dcraw
                      to use this stored WB.

                      best regards
                      Offenburger Str. 33
                      79108 Freiburg
                    • Blake Michaelson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
                        Thanks Erik - good knowledge to know!

                        I was using the latest enfuse 360° droplets from here:
                        http://www.erik-krause.de/enfuse_droplets.zip

                        I am using the enfuse_droplet_360 as my droplet of choice...

                        If I use the offset filter to view THE seam of an equi - each source image
                        0EV, +2EV and -2EV - none of them have a seam.

                        If I drop each of these TIFF equi's onto the enfuse_droplet_360, open the
                        resulting _enfused TIFF in PS3, and use the offset filter - I end up with a
                        visible deviation on the blended seam... any suggestions?

                        On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

                        > Am Thursday, February 26, 2009 um 15:03 schrieb Blake Michaelson:
                        >

                        > > BTW - where ARE you correcting the WB? And what setting are you using
                        > > on your camera?
                        >
                        > Depends. Easy subjects can be shot with fixed WB - either a preset or
                        > measured from a white card (or a piece of paper). Difficult subjects
                        > are better adjusted individually in RAW converter.
                        >
                        > > I was under the impression that the on-camera WB didn't affect the RAW -
                        > > only the JPG that was created...
                        >
                        > That's true. But the WB setting is stored in Metadata as well. Since
                        > PTGui doesn't allow to adjust WB during RAW conversion it tells dcraw
                        > to use this stored WB.
                        >
                        > best regards
                        > --
                        > Erik Krause
                        > Offenburger Str. 33
                        > 79108 Freiburg

                      • Blake Michaelson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
                          One additional bit of info - if I use Ingemar's EnfuseGui with the -180/+180
                          option checked - I do not get the seam error... perhaps my droplet batch
                          file is corrupt?

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
                            Blake Michaelson wrote:

                            > I was using the latest enfuse 360° droplets from here:
                            > http://www.erik-krause.de/enfuse_droplets.zip

                            My apologies! For one or the other reason the version in the zip was
                            missing the relevant switch. Please download again, it should work now...

                          • Blake Michaelson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
                              I seem to keep getting the files from Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 10:57:00 PM
                              on the enfuse_droplet_360... still gives me a seam error...

                              On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

                              > Blake Michaelson wrote:
                              >
                              > > I was using the latest enfuse 360° droplets from here:
                              > > http://www.erik-krause.de/enfuse_droplets.zip
                              >
                              > My apologies! For one or the other reason the version in the zip was
                              > missing the relevant switch. Please download again, it should work now...
                              >
                              > --
                              > Erik Krause
                              > http://www.erik-krause.de

                            • John Houghton
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
                                <blake.michaelson@...> wrote:

                                > I seem to keep getting the files from Tuesday, April 08, 2008,
                                > 10:57:00 PM on the enfuse_droplet_360...

                                Maybe there's a cacheing problem. I just downloaded the zip file and
                                found that the enblend_droplet_360.bat has a date stamp of 27/02/09.

                                John