Re: [PanoToolsNG] Drobo drives

  • mrjimbo
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 25, 2009
      Rick ,
      Yup this is stuff we do need to pay attention to.. I am just finishing up an install of a similar system so maybe I'll share that also.. WHat I was after was two housing that I could mirror one to teh other and stripe each for speed.. Their were two way to go.. both using Sata.. I bought 10 1.5 TB Seagates.. I looked at 2 different possible set ups.. teh first was each housing held 5 drives and it used a technology similar to a USB hub in which 5 drives were hooked up thru only one sata port.. but of course this was a little slower.. The other set up only held 4 drives but used a multilane connector so that it actually worked using 4 seperate sata connection.. I ended up going teh later way an have a 2 drive housing that hookes up directly thru a network connection to use the last 2 drives..
      The housing and the sat acard of eithe rmethod was more cost effective then the drobo... no clue if it's any better yet but I do like that all the drives have theri own sata port.. I just got it going but so far it's looking pretty good.
      I don't believe in CD's or DVD's for Back up as I've been burned too many times.. Redundant drives seems to mak emore sense..One of the housings is in the studio and the other is in the house..

      jimbo