ND filters, shared expense?

  • robert_harshman
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24, 2009
      I'm planning to buy some ND filters; a 10, 20, and 30 stop Kodak
      gelatin filters. They are expensive considering you have to buy at
      least a 3 by 3 inch square for about $50-60 US.

      But given that I plan to cut them into small pieces to fit the back of
      a Sigma 8mm and other lenses perhaps we could share them and split the
      3 by 3 square or perhaps a 4 by 4 would work better?

      And FYI, I plan to use them to shoot some long exposure daylight VRs.

      Regards,

      Robert
    • Luca N Vascon
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
        $60 each 3x3 filter ??
        wow!!!
        Can you tell how much would be a filter set for the 8mm sigma?
        If I were in you I'd build the sets and sell them on ebay, considering
        raw material, your work and the expenses...
        I'd be happy to buy one or two.

        --
        IUAV università degli studi, Venezia

        Dr. Luca Vascon
        tel . (+39) 041.2571262, e-mail vascon@...

        laboratorio multimedia Facoltà di Design e Arti, DADI
        Magazzino 7 ex Ligabue, Dorsoduro 1827 30123 Venezia
      • ptgroup
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
          Me too Luca.
          I cut some grey filters out of illumination foil from
          some stage constructors. Not soo good but they helped.

          Ciao
          Mike
          -------------------------
          360° VR Fotografie:
          http://www.360de.de

          --
          IUAV università degli studi, Venezia

          Dr. Luca Vascon
          tel . (+39) 041.2571262, e-mail vascon@...

          laboratorio multimedia Facoltà di Design e Arti, DADI
          Magazzino 7 ex Ligabue, Dorsoduro 1827 30123 Venezia

        • Philip Warner
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
            Robert,

            I was curious about shooting long exposures during the day and haven't
            made it down to Precision Camera to see if they had what you're making.

            Are you now Austin or Chicago?

            Phil

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert_harshman" <image360@...>
            wrote:

            > I'm planning to buy some ND filters; a 10, 20, and 30 stop Kodak
            > gelatin filters. They are expensive considering you have to buy at
            > least a 3 by 3 inch square for about $50-60 US.
            >
            > But given that I plan to cut them into small pieces to fit the back of
            > a Sigma 8mm and other lenses perhaps we could share them and split the
            > 3 by 3 square or perhaps a 4 by 4 would work better?
            >
            > And FYI, I plan to use them to shoot some long exposure daylight VRs.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Robert

          • aiwetir
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
              about 10 years ago, you could pick up 'rosco cinegel' sample books
              free at your local camera store. in those days i picked up 2 or 3 of
              them and i was able to locate one in my drawer (with a .3, .6, and .9
              nd), perhaps a check at the local store would turn up a few of these
              for free. also gels can be found in the bargain bins at pro stores.
              probably not a 10-30 stop ND, but maybe enough to work with.

              with today's cameras shooting at iso 200, a 2 stop brings you down to
              an almost reasonable iso 50, which is usually enough to blur water
              except in bright light.

              mmm
            • robert_harshman
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
                HI All,

                A couple of notes on this little project. First those of you
                contacting me offline with interest please note I need to know your
                lens choice as the sizes for a Sigma 8mm and Nikon 10.5 are slightly
                different. Unfortunately the Nikon is 2mm too big to cut up the 3 by 3
                inch gel efficiently so they will cost more. If you have some other
                lens that you want to try this with, I need to know the exact mm for
                the size.

                The first test of this will only include a Kodak Wratten ND 3.0
                filter, I just ordered one. It only lets in 1% and is estimated at 10
                stops. This may be the beginning and end of this test for me.

                And Roscoe Cinagels sample packs can still be found, you don't even
                have to leave home to get one. B&H has them for the ridiculous price
                of 1 cent, plus shipping. But these are really for lights, not lenses,
                so I'm assuming they would degrade the images quality quite a bit
                compared to the Kodak wratten filters and as you might guess, I want
                really, really long exposures for this test.

                Also, while I swear I saw it somewhere, Kodak does NOT make 20 or 30
                stop ND filters. the highest they go is a 4.0 which lets in 1/10 of
                1%, estimated to be 13.5 stops and this is a special order items that
                no one seems to carry in-stock if they carry it at all. so, the 3.0
                ten stop ND is on it's way.

                Regards,

                Robert

                And Phil, I'm in Austin at this moment and perhaps Precision is worth
                a look too, but I doubt they have a 3.0 ND in stock as it's a
                relatively rare item.
              • aiwetir
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
                  Hi All,

                  I take back my recommendation of Rosco Cinegels, they aren't true ND
                  filters, there is a red shift and you can see this on the color
                  information on their website (and my test photos). They degrade the
                  image also. I wouldn't even use them in a pinch.

                  Michael Medina
                  http://pdxvr.com
                  http://medina-photo.com

                  On 26 Feb 2009, at 06:58, robert_harshman wrote:

                  > HI All,
                  >
                  > A couple of notes on this little project. First those of you
                  > contacting me offline with interest please note I need to know your
                  > lens choice as the sizes for a Sigma 8mm and Nikon 10.5 are slightly
                  > different. Unfortunately the Nikon is 2mm too big to cut up the 3 by 3
                  > inch gel efficiently so they will cost more. If you have some other
                  > lens that you want to try this with, I need to know the exact mm for
                  > the size.
                  >
                  > The first test of this will only include a Kodak Wratten ND 3.0
                  > filter, I just ordered one. It only lets in 1% and is estimated at 10
                  > stops. This may be the beginning and end of this test for me.
                  >
                  > And Roscoe Cinagels sample packs can still be found, you don't even
                  > have to leave home to get one. B&H has them for the ridiculous price
                  > of 1 cent, plus shipping. But these are really for lights, not lenses,
                  > so I'm assuming they would degrade the images quality quite a bit
                  > compared to the Kodak wratten filters and as you might guess, I want
                  > really, really long exposures for this test.
                  >
                  > Also, while I swear I saw it somewhere, Kodak does NOT make 20 or 30
                  > stop ND filters. the highest they go is a 4.0 which lets in 1/10 of
                  > 1%, estimated to be 13.5 stops and this is a special order items that
                  > no one seems to carry in-stock if they carry it at all. so, the 3.0
                  > ten stop ND is on it's way.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Robert
                  >
                  > And Phil, I'm in Austin at this moment and perhaps Precision is worth
                  > a look too, but I doubt they have a 3.0 ND in stock as it's a
                  > relatively rare item.

                • Chris Thomas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
                    Those gells are for use on lights not on lenses.

                    As you've noted .. they're not optical quality.

                    They are not sold for any uses but light gels.

                    The cine industry uses high quality glass ND filter that are color neutral.

                    Chris Thomas

                    Photographer

                    cell... 604-649-5352

                    (Vancouver)

                    In North America

                    1-800-870-5110

                    I take back my recommendation of Rosco Cinegels, they aren't true ND
                    filters, there is a red shift and you can see this on the color
                    information on their website (and my test photos). They degrade the
                    image also. I wouldn't even use them in a pinch.

                    Michael Medina
                    http://pdxvr. <http://pdxvr.com> com
                    http://medina- <http://medina-photo.com> photo.com

                    snip

                    .

                    d=27325/stime=1235676512/nc1=4025321/nc2=3848643/nc3=5191955>

                  • Thomas Krueger
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 27, 2009

                      For special requests you can ask www.Heliopan.de / info at heliopan.de

                      -----
                      Greetings, Thomas - http://www.thomaskrueger.eu thomaskrueger.eu
                    • robert_harshman
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 27, 2009
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Krueger <krueger@...> wrote:

                        > For special requests you can ask www.Heliopan.de / info at heliopan.de

                        thanks Thomas, but they only make very high quality glass filters from
                        what I can tell, the nikon 10.5 and Sigma 8 require a gelatin filter
                        for their back location. At least I don't think you could put glass in
                        their, a bit too thick.

                        But they do make great filters, I have one of their 77mm circular
                        polarizing filters and it's great - but very expensive.

                        And FYI - if you've not emailed me already then I'm afraid its too
                        late, all the little bits of gelatin are spoken for.

                        Regards,

                        Robert
                      • Thomas Krueger
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 28, 2009
                          Robert Harshman wrote:

                          > thanks Thomas, but they only make very high quality glass filters from
                          > what I can tell, the nikon 10.5 and Sigma 8 require a gelatin filter
                          > for their back location.

                          I know that you can't use glass filters on these lenses, but I would ask
                          Heliopan if they have a solution.
                          Here is another link for gelatine filters up to 4.0 density:
                          http://www.galvoptics.fsnet.co.uk/filters.htm

                          -----
                          Greetings, Thomas - http://www.thomaskrueger.eu thomaskrueger.eu