Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Stereo lens with almost coincident No Parallax Points

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2009
      On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:47:13 +0900, panovrx <mediavr@...> wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> Peter, I see you use this with a 5D MkII, which is full frame. So
      >> the lens(es) provide(s) the field of view of a 38mm lens on a
      >> full-frame camera, right? I could live with that...
      >>
      >> I have a full-frame SLR that uses film, and I also have an ancient
      >> half-frame side-by-side stereo viewer made by Asahi. I wonder if I
      >> could view stereo slides taken with this lens through it... THe
      >> only problem is whether there is a lens cap for my SLR, which
      >> uses M42 lenses...
      >>
      >> Do you have any idea? The principle appears to be the same, two
      >> half-frame images side by side on a standard 35mm frame.
      >>
      >> Roger W.
      >>

      > But you are getting two frames on the one full frame camera, so the
      > horizontal view is half that of a normal 38mm. Yes the Pentax stereo
      > viewer would work with slides from this lens on a film camera I think.
      > I've not tried stitching panoramas from pictures made with the Pentax
      > stereo lens attachment.

      Yes, but the Asahi mirror adaptor could only be used with 50mm lenses,
      and I found that a bit too narrow, so 38mm sounded that much better
      to me.

      > The Loreo lens is good for stereo videos
      > see www.mediavr.com/3d
      > and stereo portrait stills but not much chop for stereo panoramas Ive
      > concluded (because of its narrowness of view) ... but its low
      > parallax characteristics are intriguing I think.

      Well, I'm not QUITE as dedicated to 360-degree panoramas as some,
      having started off with a Widelux swing lens that gave me 140
      degrees, and a Fuji X-1 that didn't even give that. I just like
      wide angle coverage, and stitching two or three shots to get a
      reasonable horizontal coverage would be fine with me.

      > Re viewing stereo panoramic stills ... as prints or on a screen ...
      > over/under viewers like the Berezin ones
      > http://www.berezin.com/3D/ViewMagic.htm
      > are amazingly effective. I saw beautiful prints of stereo panoramic
      > street crowd scenes once (taken with a Stereo VR Roundshot I think)
      > with this viewer.

      I have an over/under viewer and like you I find this a great way to
      view stereo prints or screen shots. But NOTHING can beat a film
      transparency... which is why I usually shoot with two cameras on a
      hand-held bar. Both have matching 35mm lenses, which is about ideal
      for good stereo effect. I've never thought of stitching them, though.
      Must try that one day...

      Incidentally, over/under viewers work well with panorama prints. You
      just have to "scan" by sliding the print(s) through the field of
      view. Sort of manual VR. <grin>

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com