Canon 5D Mark-2, India Trip

  • Roger Berry
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2009
      I had my new Canon 5D Mark-2 with me in India for 3 weeks and I'm
      very happy with it.
      In the past my old 5D had major dust problems on the CMOS sensor,
      even though I tried not to change lens often. With this new Mark-2 I
      had no problems with dust and after a while started changes lens
      even in dusty conditions. By the end of the day the camera always
      ended up with a heavy layer of dust on it.

      I spent one night in a tent and went out at the crack of dawn for a
      jeep ride on very cold morning to shoot some wildlife photos. My old
      5D was used for shooting panos while the new 5D Mark-2 had a
      telephoto lens on it. The batteries on the old 5D where to cold to
      work and I needed to warm them up in my pocket, no problem for the
      Mark-2.

      I had been worried about not having a backup battery for this new
      camera, but that was not a problem and I could use up four or five 8-
      GB Compact Flash cards without draining the battery much more than
      half way down.

      Here are some of my first panos done with the Mark-2.

      Nagaur Fair Dancing Horse, the next button takes you to a dancing
      camel pano.
      http://indiavrtours.com/nagaur/dancing_horse4.html

      Delhi, the Qutub Minar
      http://indiavrtours.com/delhi/qutub_minar4.html

      Roger Berry
      http://IndiaVRtours.com
    • Gary Beck
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2009
        Nice!

        Is it ever a clear day at Qutub Minar? We were there a few years ago
        (way fewer people), and it was hazy all morning... beautiful site
        though!

        -gbeck

        On Feb 20, 2009, at 5:13 PM, Roger Berry wrote:

        > I had my new Canon 5D Mark-2 with me in India for 3 weeks and I'm
        > very happy with it.
        > In the past my old 5D had major dust problems on the CMOS sensor,
        > even though I tried not to change lens often. With this new Mark-2 I
        > had no problems with dust and after a while started changes lens
        > even in dusty conditions. By the end of the day the camera always
        > ended up with a heavy layer of dust on it.
        >
        > I spent one night in a tent and went out at the crack of dawn for a
        > jeep ride on very cold morning to shoot some wildlife photos. My old
        > 5D was used for shooting panos while the new 5D Mark-2 had a
        > telephoto lens on it. The batteries on the old 5D where to cold to
        > work and I needed to warm them up in my pocket, no problem for the
        > Mark-2.
        >
        > I had been worried about not having a backup battery for this new
        > camera, but that was not a problem and I could use up four or five 8-
        > GB Compact Flash cards without draining the battery much more than
        > half way down.
        >
        > Here are some of my first panos done with the Mark-2.
        >
        > Nagaur Fair Dancing Horse, the next button takes you to a dancing
        > camel pano.
        > http://indiavrtours.com/nagaur/dancing_horse4.html
        >
        > Delhi, the Qutub Minar
        > http://indiavrtours.com/delhi/qutub_minar4.html
        >
        > Roger Berry
        > http://IndiaVRtours.com

      • Roger Berry
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2009
          Hi Gary

          Delhi is well known for its morning fog and there's a lot of smoke
          there too.
          I took this pano from one of the towers at the Jama Masjid on a
          clear day; you can see the Red Fort and a lot of Delhi from up here.
          I was still learning how to use this new camera and left the ISO at
          800 by mistake, the 20 or so people packed in the top of this tower
          didn't help either as I took a shot out each of the 8 windows.
          I planed on go back up there and reshooting the photos, but over the
          next few days the smoke and fog where real bad.
          http://indiavrtours.com/delhi/jama_masjid_tower4.html

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Gary Beck <grbeck@...> wrote:

          > Nice!
          >
          > Is it ever a clear day at Qutub Minar? We were there a few years
          ago
          > (way fewer people), and it was hazy all morning... beautiful
          site
          > though!
          >
          > -gbeck

        • Jeffrey Martin
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 26, 2009
            Roger,

            That horse pano is just awesome. I really enjoy your panos :) Please
            post more here on the list.

            I only wish your "pano page" was a fluid size, to be bigger in my
            browser window. The fullscreen on flash 10 is always too choppy for
            me, with any site / flash pano viewer.

            Jeffrey Martin

            tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

            http://twitter.com/360cities
          • Roger Berry
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 26, 2009
              Hi Jeffrey,

              I do these panos in high quality and low quality so people with slow
              connections and older computers can enjoy them too.
              When shooting the horse pano and a lot of the others I was also
              shooting HD video at the same time, you can see the camcorder when
              looking down in the dancing horse pano.

              Here are the photos I've gotten done so far from this last trip to
              India.
              Use the buttons at the lower right of the panos for going to the
              next one.
              More will be added later.

              Nagaur Cattle Fair. Dancing horse and dancing camel competition.
              http://indiavrtours.com/nagaur/dancing_horse4.html

              Jaisalmer Desert Festival. Camel parade staging area near the lake,
              and following the camels going through town to the fort. This link
              has about 5 photos.
              http://indiavrtours.com/jaisalmer/camel_staging4.html

              Here are some other views from around the Jama Masjid and Red Fort
              in Delhi. This link has about 6 photos.
              http://indiavrtours.com/delhi/jama_masjid_tower4.html

              Cheers,
              Roger Berry