Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Night Bracketing

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2009
      Thank you, Ingemar, for such a detailed reply.

      On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:10:38 +0900, Ingemar Bergmark
      <ingemar@...> wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
      >> wrote:
      >>
      >> Have you compared the result using PTgui's own HDR capabilities?
      >
      > No I haven't tried that yet, but that reminds me that I should...
      > I'm also interested in trying out Photomatix to see what kind of
      > results I can get.

      I am finding that if I choose an exposure in which the highlights
      are not clipped, and the conditions are such that boosting the
      levels in the shadow areas doesn't introduce unacceptable noise
      (usually the case now I am using the D300), then PTgui can do a
      very good job with "pseudo" HDR from a single 16-bit TIFF exposure.

      Obviously I am not dealing with the very widest dynamic ranges
      here (mostly outdoor cityscapes) but the results I am getting
      now are quite noticeably better than I was getting without HDR
      (and the D200), and that's a disincentive to try anything more
      complicated and time consuming. They're even comparable with
      what I was getting from scanned film.

      >> I guess that you were using a tripod in such dim light... so
      >> there would be no problem with accurate image registration.
      >
      > Yes, I used a tripod. I've done some testing with handheld nightshots
      > too, and then using Erik Krause's EnfuseAlign batch files which uses
      > the alignment functionality from Hugin. Although the alignment works
      > well, I've had issues with parallax errors of objects near the camera
      > resulting in shadow-edges. So I prefer using a tripod.

      I keep the monopod for outdoors, using it with the 8mm Sigma
      circular fisheye and Agnos ring, and for indoor shots I use a
      tripod with NN3 and the 10.5mm Nikon. Outdoors it's four shots
      around; indoors it's six around plus a nadir shot. More stitching
      but now I have the non-parallax point properly taped there's not
      much more problem stitching six than there is for four. And
      indoors I seldom have people moving around. The only serious
      extra problem is adding the differently angled nadir shot. Took
      me several tries before I could get on top of that technique.
      And of course you need a flat floor...

      >> And did you find that painting people "in" or "out" presented
      >> any problems with different image densities on the revealed
      >> (or hidden) layer?
      >
      > If you look at the detail at 100% zoom in photoshop you can see a
      > difference between the layers, however it's not noticable when
      > viewing the panorama.

      You may find that more of a problem if you work with the PTgui
      HDR option. I find it requires very finicky use of the eraser
      brush, preferably controlled by a touchpad...

      > As for PTGui, I could use a template, but for some reason I've gotten
      > into the habit of copying the project file and then replacing the
      > images in the copy.

      Hmmmm. Think I'll try that too. I really liked the look of your night
      shot. There was even cloud texture in the night sky! Impressive...

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com