Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Dynamic JavaVRs?

  • Kathy Wheeler
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
      On 11/07/2006, at 2:45 PM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:
      > In the very near future, those of us with HDR monitors won't see the
      > tonemapped version, but rather a luminously glowing image surrounded
      > by the otherwise flat, grey interface of a naive browser. Pretty cool
      > once you think about it...

      Where do I get me one of those monitors and can I afford it (think I
      know the answer to the last bit :-(

      KathyW.
    • Mark Banas (lists)
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
        On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:23 AM, Kathy Wheeler wrote:

        > On 11/07/2006, at 2:45 PM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:
        >> In the very near future, those of us with HDR monitors won't see the
        >> tonemapped version, but rather a luminously glowing image surrounded
        >> by the otherwise flat, grey interface of a naive browser. Pretty cool
        >> once you think about it...
        >
        > Where do I get me one of those monitors and can I afford it (think I
        > know the answer to the last bit :-(

        http://www.brightsidetech.com/

        And, um, right now they are around $50,000 USD and mostly handmade -
        but that is 40% off of their original price! ;-)

        As the larger companies, with better manufacturing abilities, get
        involved and license the technology the price will likely fall.
        However, just as with cameras and computers, the really innovative
        stuff will be delayed to maximize the profit of existing tech. I
        heard about this technology in 2002, and now 4 years later it can be
        "purchased." Maybe in another 4 years it can be "afforded?"
      • Mark Banas (lists)
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
          On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:16 AM, Kathy Wheeler wrote:

          >> Does it matter that at the time the
          >> panoviewer page is called the previous page already has the correct
          >> database entry in the generated page it is linked from?
          >
          > Shouldn't do. The index for that image should not change. I haven't
          > looked at the PHP for Gallery2 to be certain, but it's certainly
          > worth a try. If you need any help feel free to contact me off-list so
          > we don't bore the good people here with technical coding, just the
          > announcement when you get it working ;-)

          Thanks, Kathy. I will poke around and ask the Gallery2 folks what
          they recommend first, as well as refresh my grey cells with some
          details of PHP coding. I was thinking the hardest part would be
          setting up the java applet to display the image, but it seems just
          *getting* the proper image will be the real struggle for me. (After
          about an hour last night I understood the Immervision applet and XML
          methods - very nice!)

          And thanks to Sacha and Yuval's wonderful examples I can see that the
          end product is quite feasible and workable! I've seen all this
          discussed before, but never had a real need to explore it or learn it.

          -Mark
        • bernharv2000
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
            Hello Mark,

            I use PHP to create some Spi-V content on the fly.

            If i understand your simple need to insert a filename into plugin code
            correctly, a code snippet for Java content could look like this:

            // Get Filename of JPEG-File
            $file = (array_key_exists("file", $_GET)) ? $_GET["file"] : "";
            [...]
            // Generate HTML Page
            ?>
            [...]
            <param name="file" value="<? echo $file ?>">
            [...]

            The call of the dynamic HTML would be something like:
            http://www.mab3d.com/gallery/viewer.php?file=panorama.jpg

            Best regards
            Bernhard
          • vtourdk
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 12, 2006
              Have a look at "Simpleview" - an automated PHP/PTviewer based previewer
              I made some years ago. I might not be exactly what you want, but it can
              give you some idea on how to use PHP for this kind of tasks.

              http://www.in2.dk/pttours/ <http://www.in2.dk/pttours/>

              best regards

              Flemming