Re: [PanoToolsNG] Crain pano pole

  • Uri Cogan
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 3, 2009
      AYRTON wrote:

      > Hi Tom
      > Please, would it be this one :
      > <
      > http://www.engineersupply.com/cst-berger-maxi-lite-prism-pole-15-model-67-4715tma.aspx
      > <http://www.engineersupply.com/cst-berger-maxi-lite-prism-pole-15-model-67-4715tma.aspx>

      Looks nice at $155.00! but there is a simpler and cheaper solution if
      you can do with only 8 feet (2.5m) height:

      I found a solid fibreglass/aluminum pole that extends to 2.5m (8') for
      $24 at Home Hardware (Canada):

      Item # 4538-637, Model # POLE-00206

      I inserted a 1/4"- 20 screw into the cap, brazed a wide washer to a 1/4"-
      20 nut and attached a bubble level to the post, using a hose clamp.

      To see photo: http://www.uricogan.com/pole.html
      <http://www.uricogan.com/pole.html>

    • tksharpless
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009

        > On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM, tksharpless <TKSharpless@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi all
        > >
        > > Perhaps a bit slower than most who make spherical panos, I finally
        > > realized that a high point of view is really an essential part of the
        > > "panoramic perspective". So I've been looking for a good pano pole,
        > > and think I have found a winner: the Crain surveyor's prism pole ($155
        > > for the 15 foot model at
        > > http://www.engineersupply.com/surveying-equipment.aspx).
        >

        > Hi Tom
        > Please, would it be this one :
        > <

        http://www.engineersupply.com/cst-berger-maxi-lite-prism-pole-15-model-67-4715tma.aspx

        > Thanks
        > AYRTON

        No, that is by a different company. Probably also good, but it has
        screw locks (slower than the Crain's lever locks) and most important
        does not come with a steady rest. On the same page, there is just one
        item for all Crain poles, the price says $100 but click on it and you
        will see the whole range, for that $100 "plus" various amounts.

        Cheers, Tom
      • Eduardo Hutter
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
          Oi Ayrton! :)

          I'm pretty sure that's this one
          http://www.engineersupply.com/crain-prism-pole.aspx

          "...Crain surveyor's prism pole ($155 for the 15 foot model ..."

          abs,

          Eduardo

          * AYRTON wrote, On 06/02/2009 11:46 PM:

          > On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM, tksharpless <TKSharpless@...
          > <mailto:TKSharpless%40gmail.com>> wrote:
          >

          > > No, that is by a different company. Probably also good, but it has
          > > screw locks (slower than the Crain's lever locks) and most
          > > important does not come with a steady rest. On the same page, there
          > > is just one item for all Crain poles, the price says $100 but click
          > > on it and you will see the whole range, for that $100 "plus"
          > > various amounts.
          >
          > Tom please would you mind send us the exact link to ???
          >
          > I see 7 Crain differents ones, and three have the $100 price ?!?
          >
          > THANKS for it best AYRTON
        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
            On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM, tksharpless <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

            > No, that is by a different company. Probably also good, but it has
            > screw locks (slower than the Crain's lever locks) and most important
            > does not come with a steady rest. On the same page, there is just one
            > item for all Crain poles, the price says $100 but click on it and you
            > will see the whole range, for that $100 "plus" various amounts.

            Tom
            please
            would you mind send us the exact link to ???

            I see 7 Crain differents ones,
            and three have the $100 price ?!?

            THANKS for it
            best
            AYRTON

            > Cheers, Tom

            ------------
            | A Y R |
            | T O N |
            ------------

            + 55 21 9982 6313

            http://ayrton360.com
            http://rio.360cities.net
            http://vrfolio.com
            http://ayrton.com

          • AYRTON
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 7, 2009
              On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Eduardo Hutter <admForum@...>wrote:

              > Oi Ayrton! :)
              >
              > I'm pretty sure that's this one
              > http://www.engineersupply.com/crain-prism-pole.aspx
              >
              > "...Crain surveyor's prism pole ($155 for the 15 foot model ..."

              Oiiii
              maybe you can help me understand, why in the bottom they have dozens of
              other options, but none have photos, just text ...
              Did you understand it ? Those are acessories ?
              They have THREE different "names" for 15 foot, but the measurements are the
              same ?!?
              I'm lost :-)

              Best
              AYRTON

              > abs,
              >
              > Eduardo
              >
              > * AYRTON wrote, On 06/02/2009 11:46 PM:
              > >
              > > On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM, tksharpless <TKSharpless@...
              > > <mailto:TKSharpless%40gmail.com <TKSharpless%2540gmail.com>>> wrote:
              > >

              > > > No, that is by a different company. Probably also good, but it has
              > > > screw locks (slower than the Crain's lever locks) and most
              > > > important does not come with a steady rest. On the same page, there
              > > > is just one item for all Crain poles, the price says $100 but click
              > > > on it and you will see the whole range, for that $100 "plus"
              > > > various amounts.
              > >
              > > Tom please would you mind send us the exact link to ???
              > >
              > > I see 7 Crain differents ones, and three have the $100 price ?!?
              > >
              > > THANKS for it best AYRTON

              ------------
              | A Y R |
              | T O N |
              ------------

              + 55 21 9982 6313

              http://ayrton360.com
              http://rio.360cities.net
              http://vrfolio.com
              http://ayrton.com

            • Eduardo Hutter
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 7, 2009
                It's a bit confusing for the rest of us, non-initiated, non-english
                speakers laymen, isn't it? :)

                The options down there in the page conjugate material x length (which
                defines # model, e.g, 90201) and an optional high-precision 10 ARC vial
                level (portuguese: o 'vial level' é o nível de bolha).

                "Prism Poles are constructed of extremely high-strength, durable
                materials. Crain's Prism Poles are available in Alumilite (aluminum),
                Composilite (composite fiberglass), Carbonlite/AL (composite carbon with
                aluminum interior sections), and Carbonlite (composite carbon) models."

                You can see a bigger photo here http://tinyurl.com/d3zmyr

                abs,

                Eduardo

                * AYRTON wrote, On 07/02/2009 10:45 AM:
                > Oiiii maybe you can help me understand, why in the bottom they have
                > dozens of other options, but none have photos, just text ... Did you
                > understand it ? Those are acessories ? They have THREE different
                > "names" for 15 foot, but the measurements are the same ?!? I'm lost

                > :-)
              • AYRTON
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 7, 2009
                  On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Eduardo Hutter <admForum@...>wrote:

                  > It's a bit confusing for the rest of us, non-initiated, non-english
                  > speakers laymen, isn't it? :)

                  Hey Eduardo thanks
                  Now I got it
                  THANKS a lot for the link
                  I wasn't finding the right way to look at it

                  Obrigado
                  AYRTON

                  > The options down there in the page conjugate material x length (which
                  > defines # model, e.g, 90201) and an optional high-precision 10 ARC vial
                  > level (portuguese: o 'vial level' é o nível de bolha).
                  >
                  > "Prism Poles are constructed of extremely high-strength, durable
                  > materials. Crain's Prism Poles are available in Alumilite (aluminum),
                  > Composilite (composite fiberglass), Carbonlite/AL (composite carbon with
                  > aluminum interior sections), and Carbonlite (composite carbon) models."
                  >
                  > You can see a bigger photo here http://tinyurl.com/d3zmyr
                  >
                  > abs,
                  >
                  > Eduardo
                  >

                  > * AYRTON wrote, On 07/02/2009 10:45 AM:
                  > > Oiiii maybe you can help me understand, why in the bottom they have
                  > > dozens of other options, but none have photos, just text ... Did you
                  > > understand it ? Those are acessories ? They have THREE different
                  > > "names" for 15 foot, but the measurements are the same ?!? I'm lost
                  >
                  > > :-)

                  ------------
                  | A Y R |
                  | T O N |
                  ------------

                  + 55 21 9982 6313

                  http://ayrton360.com
                  http://rio.360cities.net
                  http://vrfolio.com
                  http://ayrton.com

                • tksharpless
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 7, 2009
                    There is a web page with pictures and description of my Crain pole
                    setup at http://tksharpless.net/CrainPole.htm

                    Cheers, Tom
                  • Ken Warner
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 7, 2009
                      ya ought to make a kit....

                      tksharpless wrote:
                      > There is a web page with pictures and description of my Crain pole
                      > setup at http://tksharpless.net/CrainPole.htm
                      >
                      > Cheers, Tom

                    • AYRTON
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 7, 2009
                        On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 9:32 PM, tksharpless <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

                        > There is a web page with pictures and description of my Crain pole
                        > setup at http://tksharpless.net/CrainPole.htm

                        Hey Tom
                        THANKS a lot
                        This was very interesting to read and look at.

                        Best regards
                        AYRTON

                        > <http://tksharpless.net/CrainPole.htm>
                        >
                        > Cheers, Tom

                        ------------
                        | A Y R |
                        | T O N |
                        ------------

                        + 55 21 9982 6313

                        http://ayrton360.com
                        http://rio.360cities.net
                        http://vrfolio.com
                        http://ayrton.com

                      • pedro_silva58
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 8, 2009
                          thanx much for the photos and description!
                          cheers, pedro

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "tksharpless" <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

                          > There is a web page with pictures and description of my Crain pole
                          > setup at http://tksharpless.net/CrainPole.htm
                          >
                          > Cheers, Tom
                        • Jim Sutherland
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 8, 2009
                            The Crain pole looks great. The land surveyors prism poles are generally high quality aluminum and quite sturdy as Tom noted. I thought the steady rest attachment with the tripod was quite unique. A companion survey bipod is the normal option.

                            Some may want to explore using a hyrdo industry product like Hastings Industries Telepole http://www.hfgp.com/images/catalog/A-A.gif

                            These poles are very good too. They are fiberglass and have a unique triangular pole shape. The telscoping sections are easily elevated and taken down using their simple push button lock system. The poles come in lengths up to 40 feet.
                            http://www.hfgp.com/images/catalog/A-A.gif

                            My experience using the pole found that by hand (no tripod/bipod) you can elevate the pole yourself practically to the 18 to 25 foot height. Above that you will need a tripod and I would highly recommend using a weighting system at the bottom of the pole with a spin plate. Another feature of this pole is that you can take a number of sections off if you just want to go to a height of say 15 feet. An added safety benefit is that the poles can be dialectic tested to prevent electrical shock if working nearby overhead electrical wires. You will have to fabricate an adaptor to mount your panorama camera and platform.

                            Here is a link to some tools that I have fabricated http://www.vrmapper.com/tools.html

                            Here is a page showing me using the hastings monopod at a height of 35 feet AGL
                            http://www.vrmapper.com/overview.html

                            Jim Sutherland
                            Fort St John, BC
                            The Energetic City

                          • RobLee

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 8, 2009
                                Hi Jim,

                                The Hastings products look good for really tall poles. Thanks for
                                pointing them out to us.

                                I'm not ready to go to 20-40 feet yet, but I suppose I will want to
                                someday -- the best height for architectural shots probably is around
                                30 feet. But the convenience of a hand held, self contained pole that
                                doubles as a monopod appeals to me a lot.

                                BTW I have started using a "spin plate" with my Crain pole for indoor
                                work. The plastic safety boot that came with the pole tends to "walk"
                                when you turn the pole. Now I put the round camera platform from an
                                old Gitzo tripod on the floor, rubber side down, and rest the pole's
                                point in its center hole.

                                Your use of panoramic photography in land surveying is very
                                interesting, too.

                                Regards, Tom

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Sutherland" <jim@...> wrote:

                                > The Crain pole looks great. The land surveyors prism poles are
                                generally high quality aluminum and quite sturdy as Tom noted. I
                                thought the steady rest attachment with the tripod was quite unique.
                                A companion survey bipod is the normal option.

                                > Some may want to explore using a hyrdo industry product like
                                Hastings Industries Telepole http://www.hfgp.com/images/catalog/A-A.gif

                                > These poles are very good too. They are fiberglass and have a
                                unique triangular pole shape. The telscoping sections are easily
                                elevated and taken down using their simple push button lock system.
                                The poles come in lengths up to 40 feet.
                                > http://www.hfgp.com/images/catalog/A-A.gif
                                >
                                > My experience using the pole found that by hand (no tripod/bipod)
                                you can elevate the pole yourself practically to the 18 to 25 foot
                                height. Above that you will need a tripod and I would highly
                                recommend using a weighting system at the bottom of the pole with a
                                spin plate. Another feature of this pole is that you can take a
                                number of sections off if you just want to go to a height of say 15
                                feet. An added safety benefit is that the poles can be dialectic
                                tested to prevent electrical shock if working nearby overhead
                                electrical wires. You will have to fabricate an adaptor to mount your
                                panorama camera and platform.

                                > Here is a link to some tools that I have fabricated
                                http://www.vrmapper.com/tools.html

                                > Here is a page showing me using the hastings monopod at a height of
                                35 feet AGL
                                > http://www.vrmapper.com/overview.html
                                >
                                > Jim Sutherland
                                > Fort St John, BC
                                > The Energetic City

                              • seanderson
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 8, 2009
                                  Happy to have a link to a good resource for a long pole. Bad links don't
                                  help. Nice product - good idea, here is the link:

                                  Hastings 40 foot Tel-O-Pole
                                  <http://www.hfgp.com/images/catalog/A-Ah.jpg>

                                  Stephen Anderson
                                  www.venueview.com <http://www.venueview.com>

                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

                                  > all I can say is WOW! good work! AWESOME!

                                • tksharpless
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 9, 2009

                                    > ya ought to make a kit....

                                    .....OK, How much are you willing to pay? And how long are you
                                    willing to wait? To provide all these features I'd have to buy,
                                    modify & resell the poles.

                                    --Tom
                                  • Luca N Vascon
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 9, 2009

                                      AYRTON ha scritto:

                                      > On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Eduardo Hutter
                                      > <admForum@... <mailto:admForum%40brasmontreal.net>>wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Oi Ayrton! :)
                                      > >
                                      > > I'm pretty sure that's this one
                                      > > http://www.engineersupply.com/crain-prism-pole.aspx
                                      > <http://www.engineersupply.com/crain-prism-pole.aspx>
                                      > >
                                      > > "...Crain surveyor's prism pole ($155 for the 15 foot model ..."
                                      >
                                      > Oiiii
                                      > maybe you can help me understand, why in the bottom they have dozens of
                                      > other options, but none have photos, just text ...
                                      > Did you understand it ? Those are acessories ?
                                      > They have THREE different "names" for 15 foot, but the measurements
                                      > are the
                                      > same ?!?
                                      > I'm lost :-)
                                      >
                                      > Best
                                      > AYRTON
                                      >

                                      > > abs,
                                      > >
                                      > > Eduardo
                                      > >
                                      > > * AYRTON wrote, On 06/02/2009 11:46 PM:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM, tksharpless <TKSharpless@...
                                      > <mailto:TKSharpless%40gmail.com>

                                      > > > Tom please would you mind send us the exact link to ???
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I see 7 Crain differents ones, and three have the $100 price ?!?
                                      > > >
                                      > > > THANKS for it best AYRTON
                                      > >

                                      > > ------------------------------------
                                      > >
                                      > > --
                                      > >

                                      > --
                                      > ------------
                                      > | A Y R |
                                      > | T O N |
                                      > ------------
                                      >
                                      > + 55 21 9982 6313
                                      >
                                      > http://ayrton360.com <http://ayrton360.com>
                                      > http://rio.360cities.net <http://rio.360cities.net>
                                      > http://vrfolio.com <http://vrfolio.com>
                                      > http://ayrton.com <http://ayrton.com>

                                    • Roger D. Williams
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 9, 2009
                                        Tom, if you would be willing to buy, modify and resell the poles, you
                                        are the one who has the best idea of how much time and effort this
                                        would take. All you have to do is calculate this, and how much you
                                        would need to charge to make that worthwhile to you. Then you can
                                        offer. There is obviously a demand, and people like me who are all
                                        thumbs, are willing to pay for the product. The question is whether
                                        the price that would be worth it to you would be acceptable to us.
                                        There is obviously some flexibility there... higher prices would
                                        result in lower demand, but with limited time at your disposal that
                                        might be the best way to go. You don't want to be working around
                                        the clock generating a low income!

                                        My own budget is sadly limited right now, but I sure would like one
                                        of those Crain pole assemblies... I can just imagine my NN3 plugged
                                        into the top and whirling around. Wow!

                                        Roger W.

                                        Work: www.adex-japan.com