Re: Panorama from Google Earth

  • Ronald
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
      Hello Caroling,
      on windoxs XP you can turn it off:
      start-->run-->type msconfig-->ok-->startup tab-->uncheck GoogleUpdate
      restart computer and click the 'don't show this message again' option
      in the popup thingy after you restart.
      grts
      Ronald

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Caroling Geary <caroling@...> wrote:

      > How about the new updating process for getting Google Earth 5? At
      > least on my Mac it is now very intrusive. I had to update from
      > Google Earth 4.xxx
      > I really didn't like what Google made me do. Instead of a direct
      > download, it said it had devised a better way, where it downloads a
      > program that always runs on my computer and provides automatic
      > updates. It didn't leave me an alternative, so I said OK. Now I've
      > got a googling program with unknown and unlimited access to my computer.
      >
      > On Feb 2, 2009, at 10:58 PM, Chris Thomas wrote:
      >
      > > I raised concerns about Google's "fine print" 18 months ago.
      >
      > Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net

    • Ronald
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
        Or you can uninstall it in the add/remove programs section of your
        control panel.

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Caroling Geary <caroling@...> wrote:

        > How about the new updating process for getting Google Earth 5? At
        > least on my Mac it is now very intrusive. I had to update from
        > Google Earth 4.xxx
        > I really didn't like what Google made me do. Instead of a direct
        > download, it said it had devised a better way, where it downloads a
        > program that always runs on my computer and provides automatic
        > updates. It didn't leave me an alternative, so I said OK. Now I've
        > got a googling program with unknown and unlimited access to my computer.
        >
        > On Feb 2, 2009, at 10:58 PM, Chris Thomas wrote:
        >
        > > I raised concerns about Google's "fine print" 18 months ago.
        >
        > Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net

      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Caroling Geary <caroling@...> wrote:

          > How about the new updating process for getting Google Earth 5? At
          > least on my Mac it is now very intrusive. I had to update from
          > Google Earth 4.xxx
          > I really didn't like what Google made me do. Instead of a direct
          > download, it said it had devised a better way, where it downloads a
          > program that always runs on my computer and provides automatic
          > updates. It didn't leave me an alternative, so I said OK. Now I've
          > got a googling program with unknown and unlimited access to my computer.

          Caroling

          There is nothing like automatic updates on a Mac. Even if you can use for example APPLE
          software update or PTGui automatic update you will never get it automatically installed on
          a Mac. You always have to approve the update,

          This is why Macs are much safer,

          There has been a few cases recently about Mac Malware but they have been bad software
          which people have approved to install. For example codes from Porno sites and a Pirate
          versions of software which has been manipulated.

          As long as you only install from secure well known sites you will never get anything
          dangerous. And keep away from pirate sites of all kind.

          Hans
        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Caroling Geary <caroling@> wrote:
            > >
            > > How about the new updating process for getting Google Earth 5? At
            > > least on my Mac it is now very intrusive. I had to update from
            > > Google Earth 4.xxx
            > > I really didn't like what Google made me do. Instead of a direct
            > > download, it said it had devised a better way, where it downloads a
            > > program that always runs on my computer and provides automatic
            > > updates. It didn't leave me an alternative, so I said OK. Now I've
            > > got a googling program with unknown and unlimited access to my computer.
            > >

            > Caroling
            >
            > There is nothing like automatic updates on a Mac. Even if you can use for example
            APPLE
            > software update or PTGui automatic update you will never get it automatically installed
            on
            > a Mac. You always have to approve the update,
            >
            > This is why Macs are much safer,
            >
            > There has been a few cases recently about Mac Malware but they have been bad
            software
            > which people have approved to install. For example codes from Porno sites and a Pirate
            > versions of software which has been manipulated.
            >
            > As long as you only install from secure well known sites you will never get anything
            > dangerous. And keep away from pirate sites of all kind.

            I just downloaded Google Earth and it seems that you are right, I have never heard about
            anything like this before. If this script really does what they say Google is on a very
            dangerous way.
            There are already a lot of protests.
            http://code.google.com/p/update-engine/wiki/HowDoesUpdateEngineWork

            Hans
          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
              Here is more about this
              http://groups.google.com/group/google-earth-browser-
              plugin/browse_thread/thread/146882feca2788c3/10179b3a75147976?lnk=raot

              It seems that they now have to prepare a special uninstall of the updater script.

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Caroling Geary <caroling@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > How about the new updating process for getting Google Earth 5? At
              > > > least on my Mac it is now very intrusive. I had to update from
              > > > Google Earth 4.xxx
              > > > I really didn't like what Google made me do. Instead of a direct
              > > > download, it said it had devised a better way, where it downloads a
              > > > program that always runs on my computer and provides automatic
              > > > updates. It didn't leave me an alternative, so I said OK. Now I've
              > > > got a googling program with unknown and unlimited access to my computer.
              > > >

              > > Caroling
              > >
              > > There is nothing like automatic updates on a Mac. Even if you can use for example
              > APPLE
              > > software update or PTGui automatic update you will never get it automatically
              installed
              > on
              > > a Mac. You always have to approve the update,
              > >
              > > This is why Macs are much safer,
              > >
              > > There has been a few cases recently about Mac Malware but they have been bad
              > software
              > > which people have approved to install. For example codes from Porno sites and a
              Pirate
              > > versions of software which has been manipulated.
              > >
              > > As long as you only install from secure well known sites you will never get anything
              > > dangerous. And keep away from pirate sites of all kind.
              > >

              > I just downloaded Google Earth and it seems that you are right, I have never heard about
              > anything like this before. If this script really does what they say Google is on a very
              > dangerous way.
              > There are already a lot of protests.
              > http://code.google.com/p/update-engine/wiki/HowDoesUpdateEngineWork
              >
              > Hans

            • Caroling Geary
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                I said I was on a Mac. That is Macintosh. OS X 4.11.
                I have found a program:
                Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/
                Contents/MacOS/GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon

                Also:
                Library/LaunchDaemons/com.wdc.drivemanagerservice.plist

                Here is the Google Update Engine page:
                http://code.google.com/p/update-engine/

                The Google info doesn't address me, the user, it talks to a
                developer. This is what it says:
                "At a high level, Update Engine is very simple. It talks to a server
                to determine if installed software needs to be updated, and if so, it
                downloads and installs the new software."

                That doesn't say it talks to the user. I'm not convinced that Hans is
                right, that I get asked if I want the update, necessarily.

                On Feb 3, 2009, at 10:17 AM, Ronald wrote:

                > Or you can uninstall it in the add/remove programs section of your
                > control panel.
                >
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Caroling Geary <caroling@...>
                > wrote:
                >>
                >> How about the new updating process for getting Google Earth 5? At
                >> least on my Mac it is now very intrusive. I had to update from
                >> Google Earth 4.xxx
                >> I really didn't like what Google made me do. Instead of a direct
                >> download, it said it had devised a better way, where it downloads a
                >> program that always runs on my computer and provides automatic
                >> updates. It didn't leave me an alternative, so I said OK. Now I've
                >> got a googling program with unknown and unlimited access to my
                >> computer.
                >>
                >> On Feb 2, 2009, at 10:58 PM, Chris Thomas wrote:
                >>
                >>> I raised concerns about Google's "fine print" 18 months ago.
                >>
                >> Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net

                Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net
              • AYRTON
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                  On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

                  > Here is more about this
                  > http://groups.google.com/group/google-earth-browser-
                  > plugin/browse_thread/thread/146882feca2788c3/10179b3a75147976?lnk=raot
                  >
                  > It seems that they now have to prepare a special uninstall of the updater
                  > script.

                  Hello Hans and Caroling
                  I've installed "Little Snitch" and it tells me all the time wich company
                  is trying to get inside my computer :-(

                  So I have the choice to ALLOW or to DENY

                  That's what I did with Google; "deny" :-)

                  Best
                  AYRTON

                  > Hans
                  >

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:

                  > computer.
                  > > > >

                  > > > Caroling
                  > > >
                  > > > There is nothing like automatic updates on a Mac. Even if you can use
                  > for example
                  > > APPLE
                  > > > software update or PTGui automatic update you will never get it
                  > automatically
                  > installed
                  > > on
                  > > > a Mac. You always have to approve the update,
                  > > >
                  > > > This is why Macs are much safer,
                  > > >
                  > > > There has been a few cases recently about Mac Malware but they have
                  > been bad
                  > > software
                  > > > which people have approved to install. For example codes from Porno
                  > sites and a
                  > Pirate
                  > > > versions of software which has been manipulated.
                  > > >
                  > > > As long as you only install from secure well known sites you will never
                  > get anything
                  > > > dangerous. And keep away from pirate sites of all kind.
                  > > >

                  > > I just downloaded Google Earth and it seems that you are right, I have
                  > never heard about
                  > > anything like this before. If this script really does what they say
                  > Google is on a very
                  > > dangerous way.
                  > > There are already a lot of protests.
                  > > http://code.google.com/p/update-engine/wiki/HowDoesUpdateEngineWork
                  > >
                  > > Hans

                  ------------
                  | A Y R |
                  | T O N |
                  ------------

                  + 55 21 9982 6313

                  http://ayrton360.com
                  http://rio.360cities.net
                  http://vrfolio.com
                  http://ayrton.com

                • Uri Cogan
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                    AYRTON wrote:

                    > Hello Hans and Caroling
                    > I've installed "Little Snitch" and it tells me all the time wich company
                    > is trying to get inside my computer :-(
                    >
                    > So I have the choice to ALLOW or to DENY
                    >
                    > That's what I did with Google; "deny" :-)

                    I downloaded and ran the 'GoogleEarth-Plugin-Uninstaller from:

                    http://earth-api-samples.googlecode.com/files/GoogleEarth-Plugin-Uninstaller.dmg

                    According to Google, "The uninstaller removes the plugin files and
                    unregisters them from
                    Google Software Update. As I mentioned earlier, if no other
                    applications use Google Software Update, it will remove itself after
                    about a day. "

                    (ref: http://tinyurl.com/bsfr6d).

                    Then I ran Little Snitch and started Google Earth 5.0

                    On startup, Google Earth (after running the plugin uninstaller) wanted
                    to connect automatically to the following sites:

                    kh.google.com
                    keyhole.com
                    google.com
                    mw1.google.com
                    mw2.google.com
                    ssl.google-analytics.com
                    googleanalytics.com
                    mt0.google.com
                    everytrail.com

                    I gave it permission, but only "until quit", and I am waiting for Google
                    to issue a patch or an uninstaller for that "auto updater".

                  • klroost
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009

                      > Hello Hans and Caroling
                      > I've installed "Little Snitch" and it tells me all the time wich
                      company
                      > is trying to get inside my computer :-(
                      >
                      > So I have the choice to ALLOW or to DENY
                      >
                      > That's what I did with Google; "deny" :-)
                      >
                      > Best
                      > AYRTON

                      I have run little snitch for quite awhile now, great app.
                      I just wanted to point out, little snitch does not tell you you who is
                      trying to get into your computer. It actually tells you about the
                      software that is already intstalled, and where that software is trying
                      to communictate with. I know its a small difference, but an important
                      one(for me at least)
                    • Keith Martin
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                        Sometime around 3/2/09 (at 11:32 -0600) Caroling Geary said:

                        >Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/
                        >Contents/MacOS/GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon

                        It is actually the Library folder in your home, so the path is like this:

                        ~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/ (etc...)

                        Throwing that in the trash removes it, but Google Earth restores it
                        each time it launches.

                        The .plist file is just a preferences document, but that turned up
                        something perhaps more useful. In this structured XML document (which
                        is only 24 lines long) there's the following snippet (angle brackets
                        converted to parentheses to help it render in everyone's email
                        client):

                        (key)RunAtLoad(/key)
                        (true/)

                        I changed "true" to "false"... and it doesn't appear to change back.

                        >"At a high level, Update Engine is very simple. It talks to a server
                        >to determine if installed software needs to be updated, and if so, it
                        >downloads and installs the new software."
                        >
                        >That doesn't say it talks to the user. I'm not convinced that Hans is
                        >right, that I get asked if I want the update, necessarily.

                        It does sound like it will update silently. From memory, when I first
                        installed it I had to accept this process.

                        I agree that it is a step too far; the norm on the Mac is to provide
                        easy ways for users to choose the fine details of updates, and these
                        are normally handled as notifications that the user can ignore or act
                        on themselves, as they choose. Google really should have taken that
                        route - this smacks of arrogance.

                      • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                          These aren't good pointers 'just' for Macs.

                          You would do well to follow these pointers whether you are using Mac, MS OS,
                          Linux, ...

                          Cheers,
                          Darren.

                          )
                          )There has been a few cases recently about Mac Malware but they
                          )have been bad software which people have approved to install.
                          )For example codes from Porno sites and a Pirate versions of
                          )software which has been manipulated.
                          )
                          )As long as you only install from secure well known sites you
                          )will never get anything dangerous. And keep away from pirate
                          )sites of all kind.
                          )
                          )Hans
                          )
                        • Thomas Krueger
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                            On Windows you can use the free program Autostart from Sysinternals to
                            control what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login,
                            and to display the entries in the order Windows processes them.
                            Very useful to disable all that crap like Google Updater or Apple Bonjour
                            Service

                            Info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
                            Download http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip
                            Live run: http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe

                            -----
                            Greetings, Thomas - http://www.thomaskrueger.eu thomaskrueger.eu
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                              Thomas Krueger wrote:

                              > On Windows you can use the free program Autostart from Sysinternals

                              The name is "AutoRuns"...

                            • Willy Kaemena
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                                Same on Mac but integrated already in the system , no need of free
                                programs,... ;-))
                                it is in Control panels- Accounts-Login Items.

                                .. and Apple Bonjour Service is no crap but the most useful thing as
                                it connects to devices like printer and computer in a network with
                                zero configuration.

                                Willy Kaemena

                                http://360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena

                                On Feb 5, 2009, at 9:04, Thomas Krueger wrote:

                                > On Windows you can use the free program Autostart from Sysinternals to
                                > control what programs are configured to run during system bootup or
                                > login,
                                > and to display the entries in the order Windows processes them.
                                > Very useful to disable all that crap like Google Updater or Apple
                                > Bonjour
                                > Service
                                >
                                > Info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
                                > Download http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip
                                > Live run: http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe
                                >
                                > -----
                                > Greetings, Thomas - http://www.thomaskrueger.eu thomaskrueger.eu

                              • Jeffrey Martin
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                                  Regarding "screenshot panoramas" from google earth, I passed the questions
                                  to someone at Google. their reply:
                                  "
                                  "Cool. They can't do that."
                                  Even with credits. Sorry.
                                  "

                                  Basically what I guessed. They certainly think it's cool, and enjoy seeing
                                  it, but from a legal standpoint it is simply not allowed I guess. :(
                                  (the satellite images don't even belong to google, as you can see from the
                                  copyright notices on the image when you're flying around in google earth)

                                  Jeffrey Martin
                                  tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

                                • Caroling Geary
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                                    The Google Updater does not appear in the System
                                    Preferences>Accounts>Login Items on my Mac OS X 4.11.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                                      I also upgraded to the new GE 5.0 and there is no app. running and
                                      no process ( Activity Monitor) which apparently belongs to Google
                                      Earth.
                                      So I would not worry too much.

                                      http://360cities.net/area/damascus-syria
                                      http://360cities.net/area/bremen-germany
                                      http://360cities.net/area/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-2
                                      http://360cities.net/area/lisbon-portugal

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                                        I found that I had to install the updater when updating from within
                                        Google Earth, under the Help menu. When I simply downloaded from
                                        Google Earth website, the app updated with no stealthy updater.
                                        However, the updater is still there although the Activity Monitor
                                        shows it as inactive.