Big sky / blank wall problem...

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2009
      If you shoot a sequence that has some images with nothing but sky or
      blank wall, what do you do to stitch?

      I have only a moderately short lens. About 15mm equiv. I shoot
      3 rows 8 around -- 50,0,-50 and get an adequate sequence with
      sufficient overlap.

      But certain images can be all sky or blank wall. No usable features
      to use for CP generation -- even by hand.

      What do you do when you get a situation like that?

      Can you tell PTGui to use the lens parameters from a template or analysis
      of the other images in the set? And then tell PTGui to use the yaw, tilt,
      roll parameters to fake a stitch on those images?

      I did a sequence a while ago where I was in a meadow and two or three of the top
      shots had no discernible features. I just threw random CP in there and said go.
      It worked ok because there was no way to see the stitching errors.

      But I would like to figure out a more solid or rigorous method for stitching
      image sets with featureless images.
    • bohonus
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2009

        > Can you tell PTGui to use the lens parameters from a template or analysis
        > of the other images in the set? And then tell PTGui to use the yaw, tilt,
        > roll parameters to fake a stitch on those images?

        Yes, you can input individual y/t/r params for each of these types of images. You can use the
        numbers from neighboring images to help you calculate this. Then render it as usual.
      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2009

          > Can you tell PTGui to use the lens parameters from a template

          Ken, Yes. Use File->Apply Template, and navigate to a project file
          from a similar shoot that has been successfully stitched.
          Alternatively, make use of the fact that (assuming you are using a
          panohead with detents): all the images in a row will have the same
          pitch and the same roll, and all the images in a column will have the
          same yaw.

          John
        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2009
            Yes, I've got an NN3. So the yaw, pitch, roll params are
            easy to set.

            So then by using the template and the y/p/r params, I don't
            need to set any control points in the featureless images?

            That sounds too easy :-)

            John Houghton wrote:
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
            >
            >>Can you tell PTGui to use the lens parameters from a template
            >

            > Ken, Yes. Use File->Apply Template, and navigate to a project file
            > from a similar shoot that has been successfully stitched.
            > Alternatively, make use of the fact that (assuming you are using a
            > panohead with detents): all the images in a row will have the same
            > pitch and the same roll, and all the images in a column will have the
            > same yaw.
            >
            > John

          • Matthew Rogers
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2009
              Or you can just drag them into place in the editor window.

              Matt

              On 3 Feb 2009, at 12:50, Ken Warner wrote:

              > Yes, I've got an NN3. So the yaw, pitch, roll params are
              > easy to set.
              >
              > So then by using the template and the y/p/r params, I don't
              > need to set any control points in the featureless images?
              >
              > That sounds too easy :-)
              >
              > John Houghton wrote:
              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > >>Can you tell PTGui to use the lens parameters from a template
              > >

              > > Ken, Yes. Use File->Apply Template, and navigate to a project file
              > > from a similar shoot that has been successfully stitched.
              > > Alternatively, make use of the fact that (assuming you are using a
              > > panohead with detents): all the images in a row will have the same
              > > pitch and the same roll, and all the images in a column will have
              > the
              > > same yaw.
              > >
              > > John

            • John Houghton
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2009

                > So then by using the template and the y/p/r params, I don't
                > need to set any control points in the featureless images?

                Ken, That's right. Note that you can still level the panorama using
                t1/t2 points and the levelling feature on the Edit menu of the Panorama
                Editor. That will shift the entire panorama into the correct position,
                whereas using the optimizer would shift only those images connected by
                control points, i.e. not the featureless images.

                John
              • Ken Warner
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 6, 2009
                  Hi John,

                  I made a template and applied it to a big sky pano. Came out ok
                  for me. Wasn't too hard. I applied the template and then made
                  some control points in images that had obvious features and let
                  the sky images just sort of float. Seemed to work ok.

                  Here's a .4meg version in my notorious Java viewer and here's a link to
                  the equirect.

                  http://pancyl.com/Scotty2.htm
                  http://pancyl.com/images/Scotty2.jpg

                  Thanks for the help...

                  Ken

                  John Houghton wrote:
                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >>Can you tell PTGui to use the lens parameters from a template
                  >

                  > Ken, Yes. Use File->Apply Template, and navigate to a project file
                  > from a similar shoot that has been successfully stitched.
                  > Alternatively, make use of the fact that (assuming you are using a
                  > panohead with detents): all the images in a row will have the same
                  > pitch and the same roll, and all the images in a column will have the
                  > same yaw.
                  >
                  > John

                • Rick Drew
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 6, 2009
                    I carry some small fluorescent post-it notes in my kit. So if I have the
                    big blank wall, I can apply them. Works really well - solved that problem.
                    As for the sky, my ladder is not tall enough...

                    Rick Drew

                  • Ken Warner
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 6, 2009
                      I was thinking about getting a ladder :-)