Re: Panorama from Google Earth

  • erik leeman
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
      Cool indeed!

      I think I can foresee some copyright issues though....

      Cheers!

      Erik Leeman

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

      http://www.360cities.net/image/panoramic-view-of-seoul-city-of-google-earth

      > that is something really cool !!
      >
      > Willy Kaemena
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

        > Cool indeed!
        >
        > I think I can foresee some copyright issues though....
        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@> wrote:
        > >

        > http://www.360cities.net/image/panoramic-view-of-seoul-city-of-google-earth

        Old Old news,
        The Google Earth Panoramas has been around since 2006 and there are hundred, perhaps
        thousands, of them created by different people.

        http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2006/09/how_to_make_a_g.html

        DigitalUrban alias Dr Andrew Hudson-Smith was the one who started it all off but as
        always when something new is tried in panoramics Peter Murphy got the idea.
        http://digitalurban.blogspot.com/2006/09/how-to-create-aerial-panorama-from.html

        Hans
      • erik leeman
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
          ...snip...
          > Old Old news
          ...snip...
          > Hans

          I know, I know, and I think so does Willy.
          Even so, thanks for the history lesson Hans : )

          Next time I discuss a new car I'll remind everyone how very old and
          boring the automobile-concept is, who actually invented, designed and
          made the first cars, and how many have been made since then. I'm sure
          everyone will be very interested!

          Still, I think these GoogleEarth panoramas (I even made some myself
          back then) cannot be published unless permission is granted by the
          copyright owners of the source material. So my question is: is it allowed?

          Erik
        • Thomas Bredenfeld
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
            hi all!

            i have/had some problems with this issue:
            http://panoramabuch.com/beispiele/google_earth/index.html
            (some of you will remember the 2007 pt meeting excursion location... ;-) )

            as this pano is to be reprinted together with a how-to workshop in my
            upcoming book about digital panoramic photography as an example in the
            chapter "panos from 3d software" i was forced to get in touch with
            google copyright issues.

            for that i studied the terms and conditions of google / google earth in
            depth (be aware that copyright issues are not only dealing with google,
            but with numerous subcontractors of them, where they buy the satellite
            image material! sometimes they're a lot!).

            as you're have to remove the original copyright markup to be able to
            stitch the screenshots together properly this is the first copyright
            infringement when you look at it in a legal precise way.

            so the minimum requirement is to remount a copyright markup back in the
            finished pano as i did on the nadir.

            from this point of view the seoul pano quoted by willy would not stand a
            legal judgement about copyright markup at all as there is no copyright
            markup in the pano itself. (only a hint to the creator of the pano)

            another point of view i can imagine to be relevant is the 360cities
            platform which is using google stuff itself which is to be assume
            absolutely legal as a correct use of the api. perhaps this has an
            influence of the material shown inside this platform which could keep
            that away from legal complaints from google's point of view. but i'm
            very uncertain about that.

            the other point of view is weather it's a commercial use or not.

            most of the published google earth panos in the web can be regarded as
            technical proofs of concept made just for fun and not as a commercial
            reusing or commercial derivative work based on copyrighted material from
            google and/or its subcontractors.

            as the judgement about this special case with tghe pano in my book is
            pending and we're waiting for a final judgement from the editors legal
            advisors all i said above can only be regarded as my personal opninion
            and an estimation about this issue without any warranty. just to think
            about...

            as you see this stuff a bit complicated and cannot be seen as relaxed as
            some people do.

            at google it's mandatory to check precisely what's allowed with their
            materials and techniques and what is not. a fairly good example is the
            free use of map snippets on your website, but not inside local
            applications as aldo's proof of concept of the google map geotagging
            application running in adobe bridge
            (http://www.hoeben.net/%5Buser%5D/adobe_bridge_cs3_geotagger).

            just my 2 cent ;-)

            cheers
            thomas

            erik leeman schrieb:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
            > ...snip...
            > > Old Old news
            > ...snip...
            > > Hans
            >
            > I know, I know, and I think so does Willy.
            > Even so, thanks for the history lesson Hans : )
            >
            > Next time I discuss a new car I'll remind everyone how very old and
            > boring the automobile-concept is, who actually invented, designed and
            > made the first cars, and how many have been made since then. I'm sure
            > everyone will be very interested!
            >
            > Still, I think these GoogleEarth panoramas (I even made some myself
            > back then) cannot be published unless permission is granted by the
            > copyright owners of the source material. So my question is: is it allowed?
            >
            > Erik

          • Paul D. DeRocco
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
              > From: Hans Nyberg
              >
              > Old Old news,
              > The Google Earth Panoramas has been around since 2006 and there
              > are hundred, perhaps
              > thousands, of them created by different people.
              >
              > http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2006/09/how_to_make_a_g.html
              >
              > DigitalUrban alias Dr Andrew Hudson-Smith was the one who
              > started it all off but as
              > always when something new is tried in panoramics Peter Murphy got
              > the idea.

              http://digitalurban.blogspot.com/2006/09/how-to-create-aerial-panorama-from.
              html

              Seems kind of pointless: why not just use Google Earth? It does what we wish
              360VRs could do, but never will, since you can move your viewpoint in GE,
              not just turn your head.

              --

              Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
              Paul mailto:pderocco@...
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
                Thanks Hans for reminding everyone that they're not as cool as they think
                ;-)))

                This is a lovely panorama however I've unpublished it for now until I hear
                what kind of copyright attribution should be included in the image so as not
                to raise any objections.

                Jeffrey

                Jeffrey Martin
                tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

              • Thomas Bredenfeld
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
                  hi jeffrey!

                  it would be very fine to post google's answer here on the list. i'm very
                  interested in it for my own case in my book.

                  obviously you have some direct connections to them due to your site...

                  thanks in advance + cheers
                  thomas

                  Jeffrey Martin schrieb:

                  > Thanks Hans for reminding everyone that they're not as cool as they think
                  > ;-)))
                  >
                  > This is a lovely panorama however I've unpublished it for now until I hear
                  > what kind of copyright attribution should be included in the image so as not
                  > to raise any objections.
                  >
                  > Jeffrey
                  >
                  > Jeffrey Martin
                  > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
                  > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

                • panovrx
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
                    Yes it would be interesting to hear Google's answer. There is also
                    Nasa's Worldwind .. this is less restricted
                    http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Copyright_Questions_When_Using_Im
                    ages_From_World_Wind
                    here is a panorama I made from Worldwind --
                    http://www.mediavr.com/fitzroyfallsnasa.htm

                    These sorts of earth viewer derived panoramas are useful inter alia
                    when you want to show the locations (the red dots in this case --
                    though hot spots are not enabled here) of aerial panoramas or flight
                    paths etc in an elevated panoramic view.

                    Peter Murphy

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Bredenfeld

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
                      .. and soon Google Ocean panoramas will be possible
                      http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2009/01/big_google_earth_annou
                      ncement_with.html

                      > Yes it would be interesting to hear Google's answer. There is also
                      > Nasa's Worldwind .. this is less restricted

                      http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Copyright_Questions_When_Using_Im
                      > ages_From_World_Wind
                      > here is a panorama I made from Worldwind --
                      > http://www.mediavr.com/fitzroyfallsnasa.htm
                      >
                      > These sorts of earth viewer derived panoramas are useful inter alia
                      > when you want to show the locations (the red dots in this case --
                      > though hot spots are not enabled here) of aerial panoramas or
                      flight
                      > paths etc in an elevated panoramic view.
                      >
                      > Peter Murphy
                      >

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Bredenfeld
                      > >
                      > > hi jeffrey!
                      > >
                      > > it would be very fine to post google's answer here on the list.
                      i'm
                      > very
                      > > interested in it for my own case in my book.
                      > >
                      > > obviously you have some direct connections to them due to your
                      > site...
                      > >
                      > > thanks in advance + cheers
                      > > thomas
                      > >

                      > > Jeffrey Martin schrieb:
                      > > >

                      > > > Thanks Hans for reminding everyone that they're not as cool as
                      > they think
                      > > > ;-)))
                      > > >
                      > > > This is a lovely panorama however I've unpublished it for now
                      > until I hear
                      > > > what kind of copyright attribution should be included in the
                      > image so as not
                      > > > to raise any objections.
                      > > >
                      > > > Jeffrey
                      > > >
                      > > > Jeffrey Martin
                      > > > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
                      > > > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

                    • Chris Thomas
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
                        I raised concerns about Google's "fine print" 18 months ago.

                        Some people on this list laughed it off as alarmist.

                        Google is a "Mega Corporation", just starting to Flex it's muscles.

                        They've been caught playing "fast and loose" in book authors rights.

                        Photographers should not expect any better.

                        Here's a link to understand what has happened in the book world!

                        http://www.accesscopyright.ca/docs/Google.pdf

                        My personal feeling is that Google is no place for "art" anyway.

                        If the work being posted is strictly "documentary" or "discriptive" it's
                        probably not much of a rise to go with them.

                        If it's a valued creation... perhaps more caution should be used and it
                        shouldn't go on Google.

                        It's an individual call... whether it's worth it to you.

                        For the right business plan it might not matter.

                        Chris Thomas

                        Photographer

                        cell... 604-649-5352

                        (Vancouver)

                        In North America

                        1-800-870-5110

                        erik leeman schrieb:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@ <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                        > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
                        > ...snip...
                        > > Old Old news
                        > ...snip...
                        > > Hans
                        >
                        > I know, I know, and I think so does Willy.
                        > Even so, thanks for the history lesson Hans : )
                        >
                        > Next time I discuss a new car I'll remind everyone how very old and
                        > boring the automobile-concept is, who actually invented, designed and
                        > made the first cars, and how many have been made since then. I'm sure
                        > everyone will be very interested!
                        >
                        > Still, I think these GoogleEarth panoramas (I even made some myself
                        > back then) cannot be published unless permission is granted by the
                        > copyright owners of the source material. So my question is: is it allowed?
                        >
                        > Erik

                      • Caroling Geary
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                          How about the new updating process for getting Google Earth 5? At
                          least on my Mac it is now very intrusive. I had to update from
                          Google Earth 4.xxx
                          I really didn't like what Google made me do. Instead of a direct
                          download, it said it had devised a better way, where it downloads a
                          program that always runs on my computer and provides automatic
                          updates. It didn't leave me an alternative, so I said OK. Now I've
                          got a googling program with unknown and unlimited access to my computer.

                          On Feb 2, 2009, at 10:58 PM, Chris Thomas wrote:

                          > I raised concerns about Google's "fine print" 18 months ago.

                          Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net
                        • Ronald
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                            Hello Caroling,
                            on windoxs XP you can turn it off:
                            start-->run-->type msconfig-->ok-->startup tab-->uncheck GoogleUpdate
                            restart computer and click the 'don't show this message again' option
                            in the popup thingy after you restart.
                            grts
                            Ronald

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                              Or you can uninstall it in the add/remove programs section of your
                              control panel.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Caroling Geary <caroling@...> wrote:

                                > How about the new updating process for getting Google Earth 5? At
                                > least on my Mac it is now very intrusive. I had to update from
                                > Google Earth 4.xxx
                                > I really didn't like what Google made me do. Instead of a direct
                                > download, it said it had devised a better way, where it downloads a
                                > program that always runs on my computer and provides automatic
                                > updates. It didn't leave me an alternative, so I said OK. Now I've
                                > got a googling program with unknown and unlimited access to my computer.

                                Caroling

                                There is nothing like automatic updates on a Mac. Even if you can use for example APPLE
                                software update or PTGui automatic update you will never get it automatically installed on
                                a Mac. You always have to approve the update,

                                This is why Macs are much safer,

                                There has been a few cases recently about Mac Malware but they have been bad software
                                which people have approved to install. For example codes from Porno sites and a Pirate
                                versions of software which has been manipulated.

                                As long as you only install from secure well known sites you will never get anything
                                dangerous. And keep away from pirate sites of all kind.

                                Hans
                              • Hans Nyberg
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009

                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Caroling Geary <caroling@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > How about the new updating process for getting Google Earth 5? At
                                  > > least on my Mac it is now very intrusive. I had to update from
                                  > > Google Earth 4.xxx
                                  > > I really didn't like what Google made me do. Instead of a direct
                                  > > download, it said it had devised a better way, where it downloads a
                                  > > program that always runs on my computer and provides automatic
                                  > > updates. It didn't leave me an alternative, so I said OK. Now I've
                                  > > got a googling program with unknown and unlimited access to my computer.
                                  > >

                                  > Caroling
                                  >
                                  > There is nothing like automatic updates on a Mac. Even if you can use for example
                                  APPLE
                                  > software update or PTGui automatic update you will never get it automatically installed
                                  on
                                  > a Mac. You always have to approve the update,
                                  >
                                  > This is why Macs are much safer,
                                  >
                                  > There has been a few cases recently about Mac Malware but they have been bad
                                  software
                                  > which people have approved to install. For example codes from Porno sites and a Pirate
                                  > versions of software which has been manipulated.
                                  >
                                  > As long as you only install from secure well known sites you will never get anything
                                  > dangerous. And keep away from pirate sites of all kind.

                                  I just downloaded Google Earth and it seems that you are right, I have never heard about
                                  anything like this before. If this script really does what they say Google is on a very
                                  dangerous way.
                                  There are already a lot of protests.
                                  http://code.google.com/p/update-engine/wiki/HowDoesUpdateEngineWork

                                  Hans
                                • Hans Nyberg
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                                    Here is more about this
                                    http://groups.google.com/group/google-earth-browser-
                                    plugin/browse_thread/thread/146882feca2788c3/10179b3a75147976?lnk=raot

                                    It seems that they now have to prepare a special uninstall of the updater script.

                                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Caroling Geary <caroling@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > How about the new updating process for getting Google Earth 5? At
                                    > > > least on my Mac it is now very intrusive. I had to update from
                                    > > > Google Earth 4.xxx
                                    > > > I really didn't like what Google made me do. Instead of a direct
                                    > > > download, it said it had devised a better way, where it downloads a
                                    > > > program that always runs on my computer and provides automatic
                                    > > > updates. It didn't leave me an alternative, so I said OK. Now I've
                                    > > > got a googling program with unknown and unlimited access to my computer.
                                    > > >

                                    > > Caroling
                                    > >
                                    > > There is nothing like automatic updates on a Mac. Even if you can use for example
                                    > APPLE
                                    > > software update or PTGui automatic update you will never get it automatically
                                    installed
                                    > on
                                    > > a Mac. You always have to approve the update,
                                    > >
                                    > > This is why Macs are much safer,
                                    > >
                                    > > There has been a few cases recently about Mac Malware but they have been bad
                                    > software
                                    > > which people have approved to install. For example codes from Porno sites and a
                                    Pirate
                                    > > versions of software which has been manipulated.
                                    > >
                                    > > As long as you only install from secure well known sites you will never get anything
                                    > > dangerous. And keep away from pirate sites of all kind.
                                    > >

                                    > I just downloaded Google Earth and it seems that you are right, I have never heard about
                                    > anything like this before. If this script really does what they say Google is on a very
                                    > dangerous way.
                                    > There are already a lot of protests.
                                    > http://code.google.com/p/update-engine/wiki/HowDoesUpdateEngineWork
                                    >
                                    > Hans

                                  • Caroling Geary
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                                      I said I was on a Mac. That is Macintosh. OS X 4.11.
                                      I have found a program:
                                      Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/
                                      Contents/MacOS/GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon

                                      Also:
                                      Library/LaunchDaemons/com.wdc.drivemanagerservice.plist

                                      Here is the Google Update Engine page:
                                      http://code.google.com/p/update-engine/

                                      The Google info doesn't address me, the user, it talks to a
                                      developer. This is what it says:
                                      "At a high level, Update Engine is very simple. It talks to a server
                                      to determine if installed software needs to be updated, and if so, it
                                      downloads and installs the new software."

                                      That doesn't say it talks to the user. I'm not convinced that Hans is
                                      right, that I get asked if I want the update, necessarily.

                                      On Feb 3, 2009, at 10:17 AM, Ronald wrote:

                                      > Or you can uninstall it in the add/remove programs section of your
                                      > control panel.
                                      >
                                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Caroling Geary <caroling@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> How about the new updating process for getting Google Earth 5? At
                                      >> least on my Mac it is now very intrusive. I had to update from
                                      >> Google Earth 4.xxx
                                      >> I really didn't like what Google made me do. Instead of a direct
                                      >> download, it said it had devised a better way, where it downloads a
                                      >> program that always runs on my computer and provides automatic
                                      >> updates. It didn't leave me an alternative, so I said OK. Now I've
                                      >> got a googling program with unknown and unlimited access to my
                                      >> computer.
                                      >>
                                      >> On Feb 2, 2009, at 10:58 PM, Chris Thomas wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>> I raised concerns about Google's "fine print" 18 months ago.
                                      >>
                                      >> Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net

                                      Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net
                                    • AYRTON
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                                        On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

                                        > Here is more about this
                                        > http://groups.google.com/group/google-earth-browser-
                                        > plugin/browse_thread/thread/146882feca2788c3/10179b3a75147976?lnk=raot
                                        >
                                        > It seems that they now have to prepare a special uninstall of the updater
                                        > script.

                                        Hello Hans and Caroling
                                        I've installed "Little Snitch" and it tells me all the time wich company
                                        is trying to get inside my computer :-(

                                        So I have the choice to ALLOW or to DENY

                                        That's what I did with Google; "deny" :-)

                                        Best
                                        AYRTON

                                        > Hans
                                        >

                                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:

                                        > computer.
                                        > > > >

                                        > > > Caroling
                                        > > >
                                        > > > There is nothing like automatic updates on a Mac. Even if you can use
                                        > for example
                                        > > APPLE
                                        > > > software update or PTGui automatic update you will never get it
                                        > automatically
                                        > installed
                                        > > on
                                        > > > a Mac. You always have to approve the update,
                                        > > >
                                        > > > This is why Macs are much safer,
                                        > > >
                                        > > > There has been a few cases recently about Mac Malware but they have
                                        > been bad
                                        > > software
                                        > > > which people have approved to install. For example codes from Porno
                                        > sites and a
                                        > Pirate
                                        > > > versions of software which has been manipulated.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > As long as you only install from secure well known sites you will never
                                        > get anything
                                        > > > dangerous. And keep away from pirate sites of all kind.
                                        > > >

                                        > > I just downloaded Google Earth and it seems that you are right, I have
                                        > never heard about
                                        > > anything like this before. If this script really does what they say
                                        > Google is on a very
                                        > > dangerous way.
                                        > > There are already a lot of protests.
                                        > > http://code.google.com/p/update-engine/wiki/HowDoesUpdateEngineWork
                                        > >
                                        > > Hans

                                        ------------
                                        | A Y R |
                                        | T O N |
                                        ------------

                                        + 55 21 9982 6313

                                        http://ayrton360.com
                                        http://rio.360cities.net
                                        http://vrfolio.com
                                        http://ayrton.com

                                      • Uri Cogan
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                                          AYRTON wrote:

                                          > Hello Hans and Caroling
                                          > I've installed "Little Snitch" and it tells me all the time wich company
                                          > is trying to get inside my computer :-(
                                          >
                                          > So I have the choice to ALLOW or to DENY
                                          >
                                          > That's what I did with Google; "deny" :-)

                                          I downloaded and ran the 'GoogleEarth-Plugin-Uninstaller from:

                                          http://earth-api-samples.googlecode.com/files/GoogleEarth-Plugin-Uninstaller.dmg

                                          According to Google, "The uninstaller removes the plugin files and
                                          unregisters them from
                                          Google Software Update. As I mentioned earlier, if no other
                                          applications use Google Software Update, it will remove itself after
                                          about a day. "

                                          (ref: http://tinyurl.com/bsfr6d).

                                          Then I ran Little Snitch and started Google Earth 5.0

                                          On startup, Google Earth (after running the plugin uninstaller) wanted
                                          to connect automatically to the following sites:

                                          kh.google.com
                                          keyhole.com
                                          google.com
                                          mw1.google.com
                                          mw2.google.com
                                          ssl.google-analytics.com
                                          googleanalytics.com
                                          mt0.google.com
                                          everytrail.com

                                          I gave it permission, but only "until quit", and I am waiting for Google
                                          to issue a patch or an uninstaller for that "auto updater".

                                        • klroost
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009

                                            > Hello Hans and Caroling
                                            > I've installed "Little Snitch" and it tells me all the time wich
                                            company
                                            > is trying to get inside my computer :-(
                                            >
                                            > So I have the choice to ALLOW or to DENY
                                            >
                                            > That's what I did with Google; "deny" :-)
                                            >
                                            > Best
                                            > AYRTON

                                            I have run little snitch for quite awhile now, great app.
                                            I just wanted to point out, little snitch does not tell you you who is
                                            trying to get into your computer. It actually tells you about the
                                            software that is already intstalled, and where that software is trying
                                            to communictate with. I know its a small difference, but an important
                                            one(for me at least)
                                          • Keith Martin
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                                              Sometime around 3/2/09 (at 11:32 -0600) Caroling Geary said:

                                              >Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/
                                              >Contents/MacOS/GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon

                                              It is actually the Library folder in your home, so the path is like this:

                                              ~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/ (etc...)

                                              Throwing that in the trash removes it, but Google Earth restores it
                                              each time it launches.

                                              The .plist file is just a preferences document, but that turned up
                                              something perhaps more useful. In this structured XML document (which
                                              is only 24 lines long) there's the following snippet (angle brackets
                                              converted to parentheses to help it render in everyone's email
                                              client):

                                              (key)RunAtLoad(/key)
                                              (true/)

                                              I changed "true" to "false"... and it doesn't appear to change back.

                                              >"At a high level, Update Engine is very simple. It talks to a server
                                              >to determine if installed software needs to be updated, and if so, it
                                              >downloads and installs the new software."
                                              >
                                              >That doesn't say it talks to the user. I'm not convinced that Hans is
                                              >right, that I get asked if I want the update, necessarily.

                                              It does sound like it will update silently. From memory, when I first
                                              installed it I had to accept this process.

                                              I agree that it is a step too far; the norm on the Mac is to provide
                                              easy ways for users to choose the fine details of updates, and these
                                              are normally handled as notifications that the user can ignore or act
                                              on themselves, as they choose. Google really should have taken that
                                              route - this smacks of arrogance.

                                            • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                                                These aren't good pointers 'just' for Macs.

                                                You would do well to follow these pointers whether you are using Mac, MS OS,
                                                Linux, ...

                                                Cheers,
                                                Darren.

                                                )
                                                )There has been a few cases recently about Mac Malware but they
                                                )have been bad software which people have approved to install.
                                                )For example codes from Porno sites and a Pirate versions of
                                                )software which has been manipulated.
                                                )
                                                )As long as you only install from secure well known sites you
                                                )will never get anything dangerous. And keep away from pirate
                                                )sites of all kind.
                                                )
                                                )Hans
                                                )
                                              • Thomas Krueger
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                                                  On Windows you can use the free program Autostart from Sysinternals to
                                                  control what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login,
                                                  and to display the entries in the order Windows processes them.
                                                  Very useful to disable all that crap like Google Updater or Apple Bonjour
                                                  Service

                                                  Info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
                                                  Download http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip
                                                  Live run: http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe

                                                  -----
                                                  Greetings, Thomas - http://www.thomaskrueger.eu thomaskrueger.eu
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                                                    Thomas Krueger wrote:

                                                    > On Windows you can use the free program Autostart from Sysinternals

                                                    The name is "AutoRuns"...

                                                  • Willy Kaemena
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                                                      Same on Mac but integrated already in the system , no need of free
                                                      programs,... ;-))
                                                      it is in Control panels- Accounts-Login Items.

                                                      .. and Apple Bonjour Service is no crap but the most useful thing as
                                                      it connects to devices like printer and computer in a network with
                                                      zero configuration.

                                                      Willy Kaemena

                                                      http://360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                                                        Regarding "screenshot panoramas" from google earth, I passed the questions
                                                        to someone at Google. their reply:
                                                        "
                                                        "Cool. They can't do that."
                                                        Even with credits. Sorry.
                                                        "

                                                        Basically what I guessed. They certainly think it's cool, and enjoy seeing
                                                        it, but from a legal standpoint it is simply not allowed I guess. :(
                                                        (the satellite images don't even belong to google, as you can see from the
                                                        copyright notices on the image when you're flying around in google earth)

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                                                          The Google Updater does not appear in the System
                                                          Preferences>Accounts>Login Items on my Mac OS X 4.11.

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                                                            I also upgraded to the new GE 5.0 and there is no app. running and
                                                            no process ( Activity Monitor) which apparently belongs to Google
                                                            Earth.
                                                            So I would not worry too much.

                                                            http://360cities.net/area/damascus-syria
                                                            http://360cities.net/area/bremen-germany
                                                            http://360cities.net/area/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-2
                                                            http://360cities.net/area/lisbon-portugal

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                                                              I found that I had to install the updater when updating from within
                                                              Google Earth, under the Help menu. When I simply downloaded from
                                                              Google Earth website, the app updated with no stealthy updater.
                                                              However, the updater is still there although the Activity Monitor
                                                              shows it as inactive.