Crain pano pole

  • tksharpless
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 31, 2009
      Hi all

      Perhaps a bit slower than most who make spherical panos, I finally
      realized that a high point of view is really an essential part of the
      "panoramic perspective". So I've been looking for a good pano pole,
      and think I have found a winner: the Crain surveyor's prism pole ($155
      for the 15 foot model at
      http://www.engineersupply.com/surveying-equipment.aspx). I haven't
      seen any posts on this device, so I thought some of you would be
      interested to hear about it.

      It has everything a tall telescoping monopod should have: four
      sections, strong clamps, a large built-in level, a big steel point
      (with a plastic boot to use when you don't want to punch holes in the
      floor) and something I'd never seen but now can't imagine doing
      without: a clip-on plastic gadget called a steady rest that when
      attached to a tripod holds the pole upright, while still allowing you
      to turn it easily. I made a belt and bracket to attach the steady
      rest to my belly, so I can work with both hands on the camera without
      worrying about the pole falling, and turn the pole smoothly with my
      feet planted.

      I also made a small aluminum bracket to mount the top 2 arms of a
      Nodal Ninja 3 at the top of the pole (at a fixed distance off center
      to suit a Canon 30D), and bought a 12 foot shutter release cable from
      B&H for $14. A half-dozen small elastic ties hold the shutter cable
      to the pole.

      The collapsed length of 5 feet puts the camera's viewfinder right at
      my eye level, and the quick release lever clamps and graduated section
      tubes let me lower and re-raise the camera quickly for adjusting tilt
      (with the NN3 arm) etc.

      I will use this rig only with short lenses so need no mechanical
      rotator -- just turn the pole (the ground point and steady rest make
      that easy). I can do it accurately enough by eye with 8mm and 15mm
      fisheyes, and hope to be able to use a 24mm rectilinear (12-around)
      after I paint 30 degree marks on the pole.

      For spherical panos with the 8mm lens, I shoot 6 around with the lens
      tilted down 15 degrees, and walk around the center so the camera
      doesn't see me, only the small footprint of the pole top (which can be
      made almost negligible by putting the lens a little forward of the
      minimum-parallax point). Then I lower, tilt the camera straight up,
      raise and shoot the zenith.

      I only look down at the level and steady rest while turning -- if I
      look up it seems that the pole is flexing and wobbling horribly, but
      in fact the pole top stays within a very small circle if I shoot when
      the level says "quiet". The Crain pole is certainly stiffer than a
      "painter's pole" of the same height.

      I'm extremely pleased with this pole. The price is very reasonable
      and it only takes a little shop work to adapt it to photographic use.
      Surveyor's gear uses 5/8 inch x 11 mounting studs; I was able to adapt
      the steady rest to 3/8 x 16 simply by sawing off a short section of
      the long 5/8 inch aluminum stud that comes with the pole, tapping the
      already bored center hole 3/8-16 and screwing it into the socket of
      the steady rest. Something similar would work at the top of the pole
      if you wanted to mount a full tripod head there, however I just bored
      a 5/8 inch hole in my NN3 adapter bracket.

      Cheers, Tom
    • pedro_silva58
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 2, 2009
        tom,
        thanx for sharing! too bad i couldn't find a dealer in eu... i have
        a request, though: would you please describe your "belt and bracket to
        attach the steady rest", with perhaps a picture or two? and a
        question: do you think the steady rest could be used with other poles?
        tia and cheers,
        pedro

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "tksharpless" <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > Perhaps a bit slower than most who make spherical panos, I finally
        > realized that a high point of view is really an essential part of the
        > "panoramic perspective". So I've been looking for a good pano pole,
        > and think I have found a winner: the Crain surveyor's prism pole ($155
        > for the 15 foot model at
        > http://www.engineersupply.com/surveying-equipment.aspx). I haven't
        > seen any posts on this device, so I thought some of you would be
        > interested to hear about it.

        > Cheers, Tom

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 2, 2009
          On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM, tksharpless <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

          > Hi all
          >
          > Perhaps a bit slower than most who make spherical panos, I finally
          > realized that a high point of view is really an essential part of the
          > "panoramic perspective". So I've been looking for a good pano pole,
          > and think I have found a winner: the Crain surveyor's prism pole ($155
          > for the 15 foot model at
          > http://www.engineersupply.com/surveying-equipment.aspx).

          Hi Tom
          Please, would it be this one :
          <
          http://www.engineersupply.com/cst-berger-maxi-lite-prism-pole-15-model-67-4715tma.aspx

          Thanks
          AYRTON

> [...]
          > look up it seems that the pole is flexing and wobbling horribly, but
          > in fact the pole top stays within a very small circle if I shoot when
          > the level says "quiet". The Crain pole is certainly stiffer than a
          > "painter's pole" of the same height.
          >
          > I'm extremely pleased with this pole. The price is very reasonable
          > and it only takes a little shop work to adapt it to photographic use.
          > Surveyor's gear uses 5/8 inch x 11 mounting studs; I was able to adapt
          > the steady rest to 3/8 x 16 simply by sawing off a short section of
          > the long 5/8 inch aluminum stud that comes with the pole, tapping the
          > already bored center hole 3/8-16 and screwing it into the socket of
          > the steady rest. Something similar would work at the top of the pole
          > if you wanted to mount a full tripod head there, however I just bored
          > a 5/8 inch hole in my NN3 adapter bracket.

          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
          ------------

          + 55 21 9982 6313

          http://ayrton360.com
          http://rio.360cities.net
          http://vrfolio.com
          http://ayrton.com

        • Uri Cogan
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 3, 2009
            AYRTON wrote:

            > Hi Tom
            > Please, would it be this one :
            > <
            > http://www.engineersupply.com/cst-berger-maxi-lite-prism-pole-15-model-67-4715tma.aspx
            > <http://www.engineersupply.com/cst-berger-maxi-lite-prism-pole-15-model-67-4715tma.aspx>

            Looks nice at $155.00! but there is a simpler and cheaper solution if
            you can do with only 8 feet (2.5m) height:

            I found a solid fibreglass/aluminum pole that extends to 2.5m (8') for
            $24 at Home Hardware (Canada):

            Item # 4538-637, Model # POLE-00206

            I inserted a 1/4"- 20 screw into the cap, brazed a wide washer to a 1/4"-
            20 nut and attached a bubble level to the post, using a hose clamp.

            To see photo: http://www.uricogan.com/pole.html

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009

              > On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM, tksharpless <TKSharpless@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi all
              > >
              > > Perhaps a bit slower than most who make spherical panos, I finally
              > > realized that a high point of view is really an essential part of the
              > > "panoramic perspective". So I've been looking for a good pano pole,
              > > and think I have found a winner: the Crain surveyor's prism pole ($155
              > > for the 15 foot model at
              > > http://www.engineersupply.com/surveying-equipment.aspx).
              >

              > Hi Tom
              > Please, would it be this one :
              > <

              http://www.engineersupply.com/cst-berger-maxi-lite-prism-pole-15-model-67-4715tma.aspx

              > Thanks
              > AYRTON

              No, that is by a different company. Probably also good, but it has
              screw locks (slower than the Crain's lever locks) and most important
              does not come with a steady rest. On the same page, there is just one
              item for all Crain poles, the price says $100 but click on it and you
              will see the whole range, for that $100 "plus" various amounts.

              Cheers, Tom
            • Eduardo Hutter
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
                Oi Ayrton! :)

                I'm pretty sure that's this one
                http://www.engineersupply.com/crain-prism-pole.aspx

                "...Crain surveyor's prism pole ($155 for the 15 foot model ..."

                abs,

                Eduardo

                * AYRTON wrote, On 06/02/2009 11:46 PM:

                > On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM, tksharpless <TKSharpless@...
                > <mailto:TKSharpless%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                >

                > > No, that is by a different company. Probably also good, but it has
                > > screw locks (slower than the Crain's lever locks) and most
                > > important does not come with a steady rest. On the same page, there
                > > is just one item for all Crain poles, the price says $100 but click
                > > on it and you will see the whole range, for that $100 "plus"
                > > various amounts.
                >
                > Tom please would you mind send us the exact link to ???
                >
                > I see 7 Crain differents ones, and three have the $100 price ?!?
                >
                > THANKS for it best AYRTON
              • AYRTON
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 6, 2009
                  On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM, tksharpless <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

                  > No, that is by a different company. Probably also good, but it has
                  > screw locks (slower than the Crain's lever locks) and most important
                  > does not come with a steady rest. On the same page, there is just one
                  > item for all Crain poles, the price says $100 but click on it and you
                  > will see the whole range, for that $100 "plus" various amounts.

                  Tom
                  please
                  would you mind send us the exact link to ???

                  I see 7 Crain differents ones,
                  and three have the $100 price ?!?

                  THANKS for it
                  best
                  AYRTON

                  > Cheers, Tom

                  ------------
                  | A Y R |
                  | T O N |
                  ------------

                  + 55 21 9982 6313

                  http://ayrton360.com
                  http://rio.360cities.net
                  http://vrfolio.com
                  http://ayrton.com

                • AYRTON
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 7, 2009
                    On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Eduardo Hutter <admForum@...>wrote:

                    > Oi Ayrton! :)
                    >
                    > I'm pretty sure that's this one
                    > http://www.engineersupply.com/crain-prism-pole.aspx
                    >
                    > "...Crain surveyor's prism pole ($155 for the 15 foot model ..."

                    Oiiii
                    maybe you can help me understand, why in the bottom they have dozens of
                    other options, but none have photos, just text ...
                    Did you understand it ? Those are acessories ?
                    They have THREE different "names" for 15 foot, but the measurements are the
                    same ?!?
                    I'm lost :-)

                    Best
                    AYRTON

                    > abs,
                    >
                    > Eduardo
                    >
                    > * AYRTON wrote, On 06/02/2009 11:46 PM:
                    > >
                    > > On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM, tksharpless <TKSharpless@...
                    > > <mailto:TKSharpless%40gmail.com <TKSharpless%2540gmail.com>>> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > No, that is by a different company. Probably also good, but it has
                    > > > screw locks (slower than the Crain's lever locks) and most
                    > > > important does not come with a steady rest. On the same page, there
                    > > > is just one item for all Crain poles, the price says $100 but click
                    > > > on it and you will see the whole range, for that $100 "plus"
                    > > > various amounts.
                    > >
                    > > Tom please would you mind send us the exact link to ???
                    > >
                    > > I see 7 Crain differents ones, and three have the $100 price ?!?
                    > >
                    > > THANKS for it best AYRTON

                    ------------
                    | A Y R |
                    | T O N |
                    ------------

                    + 55 21 9982 6313

                    http://ayrton360.com
                    http://rio.360cities.net
                    http://vrfolio.com
                    http://ayrton.com

                  • Eduardo Hutter
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 7, 2009
                      It's a bit confusing for the rest of us, non-initiated, non-english
                      speakers laymen, isn't it? :)

                      The options down there in the page conjugate material x length (which
                      defines # model, e.g, 90201) and an optional high-precision 10 ARC vial
                      level (portuguese: o 'vial level' é o nível de bolha).

                      "Prism Poles are constructed of extremely high-strength, durable
                      materials. Crain's Prism Poles are available in Alumilite (aluminum),
                      Composilite (composite fiberglass), Carbonlite/AL (composite carbon with
                      aluminum interior sections), and Carbonlite (composite carbon) models."

                      You can see a bigger photo here http://tinyurl.com/d3zmyr

                      abs,

                      Eduardo

                      * AYRTON wrote, On 07/02/2009 10:45 AM:
                      > Oiiii maybe you can help me understand, why in the bottom they have
                      > dozens of other options, but none have photos, just text ... Did you
                      > understand it ? Those are acessories ? They have THREE different
                      > "names" for 15 foot, but the measurements are the same ?!? I'm lost

                      > :-)
                    • AYRTON
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 7, 2009
                        On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Eduardo Hutter <admForum@...>wrote:

                        > It's a bit confusing for the rest of us, non-initiated, non-english
                        > speakers laymen, isn't it? :)

                        Hey Eduardo thanks
                        Now I got it
                        THANKS a lot for the link
                        I wasn't finding the right way to look at it

                        Obrigado
                        AYRTON

                        > The options down there in the page conjugate material x length (which
                        > defines # model, e.g, 90201) and an optional high-precision 10 ARC vial
                        > level (portuguese: o 'vial level' é o nível de bolha).
                        >
                        > "Prism Poles are constructed of extremely high-strength, durable
                        > materials. Crain's Prism Poles are available in Alumilite (aluminum),
                        > Composilite (composite fiberglass), Carbonlite/AL (composite carbon with
                        > aluminum interior sections), and Carbonlite (composite carbon) models."
                        >
                        > You can see a bigger photo here http://tinyurl.com/d3zmyr
                        >
                        > abs,
                        >
                        > Eduardo
                        >

                        > * AYRTON wrote, On 07/02/2009 10:45 AM:
                        > > Oiiii maybe you can help me understand, why in the bottom they have
                        > > dozens of other options, but none have photos, just text ... Did you
                        > > understand it ? Those are acessories ? They have THREE different
                        > > "names" for 15 foot, but the measurements are the same ?!? I'm lost
                        >
                        > > :-)

                        ------------
                        | A Y R |
                        | T O N |
                        ------------

                        + 55 21 9982 6313

                        http://ayrton360.com
                        http://rio.360cities.net
                        http://vrfolio.com
                        http://ayrton.com

                      • tksharpless
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 7, 2009
                          There is a web page with pictures and description of my Crain pole
                          setup at http://tksharpless.net/CrainPole.htm

                          Cheers, Tom
                        • Ken Warner
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 7, 2009
                            ya ought to make a kit....

                            tksharpless wrote:
                            > There is a web page with pictures and description of my Crain pole
                            > setup at http://tksharpless.net/CrainPole.htm
                            >
                            > Cheers, Tom

                          • AYRTON
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 7, 2009
                              On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 9:32 PM, tksharpless <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

                              > There is a web page with pictures and description of my Crain pole
                              > setup at http://tksharpless.net/CrainPole.htm

                              Hey Tom
                              THANKS a lot
                              This was very interesting to read and look at.

                              Best regards
                              AYRTON

                              > <http://tksharpless.net/CrainPole.htm>
                              >
                              > Cheers, Tom

                              ------------
                              | A Y R |
                              | T O N |
                              ------------

                              + 55 21 9982 6313

                              http://ayrton360.com
                              http://rio.360cities.net
                              http://vrfolio.com
                              http://ayrton.com

                            • pedro_silva58
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 8, 2009
                                thanx much for the photos and description!
                                cheers, pedro

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "tksharpless" <TKSharpless@...> wrote:

                                > There is a web page with pictures and description of my Crain pole
                                > setup at http://tksharpless.net/CrainPole.htm
                                >
                                > Cheers, Tom
                              • Jim Sutherland
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 8, 2009
                                  The Crain pole looks great. The land surveyors prism poles are generally high quality aluminum and quite sturdy as Tom noted. I thought the steady rest attachment with the tripod was quite unique. A companion survey bipod is the normal option.

                                  Some may want to explore using a hyrdo industry product like Hastings Industries Telepole http://www.hfgp.com/images/catalog/A-A.gif

                                  These poles are very good too. They are fiberglass and have a unique triangular pole shape. The telscoping sections are easily elevated and taken down using their simple push button lock system. The poles come in lengths up to 40 feet.
                                  http://www.hfgp.com/images/catalog/A-A.gif

                                  My experience using the pole found that by hand (no tripod/bipod) you can elevate the pole yourself practically to the 18 to 25 foot height. Above that you will need a tripod and I would highly recommend using a weighting system at the bottom of the pole with a spin plate. Another feature of this pole is that you can take a number of sections off if you just want to go to a height of say 15 feet. An added safety benefit is that the poles can be dialectic tested to prevent electrical shock if working nearby overhead electrical wires. You will have to fabricate an adaptor to mount your panorama camera and platform.

                                  Here is a link to some tools that I have fabricated http://www.vrmapper.com/tools.html

                                  Here is a page showing me using the hastings monopod at a height of 35 feet AGL
                                  http://www.vrmapper.com/overview.html

                                  Jim Sutherland
                                  Fort St John, BC
                                  The Energetic City

                                • RobLee
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 8, 2009
                                    all I can say is WOW! good work! AWESOME!

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 8, 2009
                                      Hi Jim,

                                      The Hastings products look good for really tall poles. Thanks for
                                      pointing them out to us.

                                      I'm not ready to go to 20-40 feet yet, but I suppose I will want to
                                      someday -- the best height for architectural shots probably is around
                                      30 feet. But the convenience of a hand held, self contained pole that
                                      doubles as a monopod appeals to me a lot.

                                      BTW I have started using a "spin plate" with my Crain pole for indoor
                                      work. The plastic safety boot that came with the pole tends to "walk"
                                      when you turn the pole. Now I put the round camera platform from an
                                      old Gitzo tripod on the floor, rubber side down, and rest the pole's
                                      point in its center hole.

                                      Your use of panoramic photography in land surveying is very
                                      interesting, too.

                                      Regards, Tom

                                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Sutherland" <jim@...> wrote:

                                      > The Crain pole looks great. The land surveyors prism poles are
                                      generally high quality aluminum and quite sturdy as Tom noted. I
                                      thought the steady rest attachment with the tripod was quite unique.
                                      A companion survey bipod is the normal option.

                                      > Some may want to explore using a hyrdo industry product like
                                      Hastings Industries Telepole http://www.hfgp.com/images/catalog/A-A.gif

                                      > These poles are very good too. They are fiberglass and have a
                                      unique triangular pole shape. The telscoping sections are easily
                                      elevated and taken down using their simple push button lock system.
                                      The poles come in lengths up to 40 feet.
                                      > http://www.hfgp.com/images/catalog/A-A.gif
                                      >
                                      > My experience using the pole found that by hand (no tripod/bipod)
                                      you can elevate the pole yourself practically to the 18 to 25 foot
                                      height. Above that you will need a tripod and I would highly
                                      recommend using a weighting system at the bottom of the pole with a
                                      spin plate. Another feature of this pole is that you can take a
                                      number of sections off if you just want to go to a height of say 15
                                      feet. An added safety benefit is that the poles can be dialectic
                                      tested to prevent electrical shock if working nearby overhead
                                      electrical wires. You will have to fabricate an adaptor to mount your
                                      panorama camera and platform.

                                      > Here is a link to some tools that I have fabricated
                                      http://www.vrmapper.com/tools.html

                                      > Here is a page showing me using the hastings monopod at a height of
                                      35 feet AGL
                                      > http://www.vrmapper.com/overview.html
                                      >
                                      > Jim Sutherland
                                      > Fort St John, BC
                                      > The Energetic City

                                    • seanderson
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 8, 2009
                                        Happy to have a link to a good resource for a long pole. Bad links don't
                                        help. Nice product - good idea, here is the link:

                                        Hastings 40 foot Tel-O-Pole
                                        <http://www.hfgp.com/images/catalog/A-Ah.jpg>

                                        Stephen Anderson
                                        www.venueview.com <http://www.venueview.com>

                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

                                        > all I can say is WOW! good work! AWESOME!

                                      • tksharpless
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 9, 2009

                                          > ya ought to make a kit....

                                          .....OK, How much are you willing to pay? And how long are you
                                          willing to wait? To provide all these features I'd have to buy,
                                          modify & resell the poles.

                                          --Tom
                                        • Luca N Vascon
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 9, 2009

                                            AYRTON ha scritto:

                                            > On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Eduardo Hutter
                                            > <admForum@... <mailto:admForum%40brasmontreal.net>>wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > Oi Ayrton! :)
                                            > >
                                            > > I'm pretty sure that's this one
                                            > > http://www.engineersupply.com/crain-prism-pole.aspx
                                            > <http://www.engineersupply.com/crain-prism-pole.aspx>
                                            > >
                                            > > "...Crain surveyor's prism pole ($155 for the 15 foot model ..."
                                            >
                                            > Oiiii
                                            > maybe you can help me understand, why in the bottom they have dozens of
                                            > other options, but none have photos, just text ...
                                            > Did you understand it ? Those are acessories ?
                                            > They have THREE different "names" for 15 foot, but the measurements
                                            > are the
                                            > same ?!?
                                            > I'm lost :-)
                                            >
                                            > Best
                                            > AYRTON
                                            >

                                            > > abs,
                                            > >
                                            > > Eduardo
                                            > >
                                            > > * AYRTON wrote, On 06/02/2009 11:46 PM:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM, tksharpless <TKSharpless@...
                                            > <mailto:TKSharpless%40gmail.com>

                                            > > > Tom please would you mind send us the exact link to ???
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I see 7 Crain differents ones, and three have the $100 price ?!?
                                            > > >
                                            > > > THANKS for it best AYRTON
                                            > >

                                            > > ------------------------------------
                                            > >
                                            > > --
                                            > >

                                            > --
                                            > ------------
                                            > | A Y R |
                                            > | T O N |
                                            > ------------
                                            >
                                            > + 55 21 9982 6313
                                            >
                                            > http://ayrton360.com <http://ayrton360.com>
                                            > http://rio.360cities.net <http://rio.360cities.net>
                                            > http://vrfolio.com <http://vrfolio.com>
                                            > http://ayrton.com <http://ayrton.com>

                                          • Roger D. Williams
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 9, 2009
                                              Tom, if you would be willing to buy, modify and resell the poles, you
                                              are the one who has the best idea of how much time and effort this
                                              would take. All you have to do is calculate this, and how much you
                                              would need to charge to make that worthwhile to you. Then you can
                                              offer. There is obviously a demand, and people like me who are all
                                              thumbs, are willing to pay for the product. The question is whether
                                              the price that would be worth it to you would be acceptable to us.
                                              There is obviously some flexibility there... higher prices would
                                              result in lower demand, but with limited time at your disposal that
                                              might be the best way to go. You don't want to be working around
                                              the clock generating a low income!

                                              My own budget is sadly limited right now, but I sure would like one
                                              of those Crain pole assemblies... I can just imagine my NN3 plugged
                                              into the top and whirling around. Wow!

                                              Roger W.

                                              Work: www.adex-japan.com