Anybody heard about panorama viewer under GPL license?

  • Andrey Ilyin
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
      Some interesting project is under discussion, but the potential
      partner requires GPL license for all software used to display
      panoramas.
    • Patrick Cheatham
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
        On Jan 28, 2009, at 1:05 PM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Anybody heard about panorama viewer under GPL license?
        > Posted by: "Andrey Ilyin" ilyin1drey@... ilyin1drey
        > Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:48 am (PST)
        >
        > Some interesting project is under discussion, but the potential
        > partner requires GPL license for all software used to display
        > panoramas.

        There's an open source one!

        http://panosalado.googlecode.com or http://panosalado.com

        :-)

        Cheers,

        Patrick

      • Bruno Postle
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
          On Wed 28-Jan-2009 at 14:48 -0000, Andrey Ilyin wrote:
          >Some interesting project is under discussion, but the potential
          >partner requires GPL license for all software used to display
          >panoramas.

          What sort of viewer do you have in mind? There are standalone,
          browser plugin, java and flash viewers.

          --
          Bruno
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 29, 2009
            Bruno Postle wrote:

            > >Some interesting project is under discussion, but the potential
            > >partner requires GPL license for all software used to display
            > >panoramas.
            >
            > What sort of viewer do you have in mind? There are standalone,
            > browser plugin, java and flash viewers.

            Hmmm... I don't know of a browser that's GLP and neither java nor flash
            are hence it must be stand alone. FreePV is GPL as far as I know:
            http://freepv.sourceforge.net/

          • Bruno Postle
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 29, 2009
              On Thu 29-Jan-2009 at 22:43 +0100, Erik Krause wrote:

              >> >Some interesting project is under discussion, but the potential
              >> >partner requires GPL license for all software used to display
              >> >panoramas.
              >>
              >> What sort of viewer do you have in mind? There are standalone,
              >> browser plugin, java and flash viewers.
              >
              >Hmmm... I don't know of a browser that's GLP and neither java nor flash
              >are hence it must be stand alone. FreePV is GPL as far as I know:
              >http://freepv.sourceforge.net/

              Both Firefox and Sun Java are GPL licensed. Gnash is a GPL flash
              viewer, but last time I checked Flash panoramas didn't work in
              Gnash.

              --
              Bruno
            • Bruno Postle
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 29, 2009
                On Thu 29-Jan-2009 at 22:01 +0000, Bruno Postle wrote:

                >Both Firefox and Sun Java are GPL licensed. Gnash is a GPL flash
                >viewer, but last time I checked Flash panoramas didn't work in
                >Gnash.

                Completing the list of Open Source panorama viewers:

                Standalone viewers: panoglview, freepv, panini(pvqt)
                Browser plugin: freepv
                Java applet: ptviewer
                Flash: panosalado

                --
                Bruno
              • Ken Warner
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 29, 2009
                  Whatever Java's license status is has nothing to do with
                  a viewer writen in Java.

                  Erik Krause wrote:
                  > Bruno Postle wrote:
                  >

                  >>>Some interesting project is under discussion, but the potential
                  >>>partner requires GPL license for all software used to display
                  >>>panoramas.
                  >>
                  >>What sort of viewer do you have in mind? There are standalone,
                  >>browser plugin, java and flash viewers.
                  >

                  > Hmmm... I don't know of a browser that's GLP and neither java nor flash
                  > are hence it must be stand alone. FreePV is GPL as far as I know:
                  > http://freepv.sourceforge.net/

                • jedd
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 29, 2009
                    On Fri Jan 30 2009, Ken Warner wrote:
                    > Whatever Java's license status is has nothing to do with
                    > a viewer writen in Java.

                    Ken, I think the point is that if an application is free (in the
                    nice sense of the word) but requires a non-free (ditto) platform
                    to run .. then you've just breached the OP's condition, viz:

                    > >Some interesting project is under discussion, but the potential
                    > >partner requires GPL license for all software used to display
                    > >panoramas.

                    Jedd.
                  • Ken Warner
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 29, 2009
                      I don't understand. Java is free. Apps/applets written in Java
                      are the property of the person/group that wrote it.

                      I must have missed a big part of the earlier discussion because
                      I don't understand what the question is.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 30, 2009
                        Ken Warner wrote:

                        > I don't understand. Java is free. Apps/applets written in Java
                        > are the property of the person/group that wrote it.
                        >
                        > I must have missed a big part of the earlier discussion because
                        > I don't understand what the question is.

                        Andrey asked for a panorama viewer under GPL and he mentioned that his
                        "potential partner requires GPL license for all software used to display
                        panoramas." Free software is not necessarily GPL licensed, and if Java
                        is required to run a specific viewer it is "used to display panoramas".

                        BTW: I stand corrected that Firefox is GPL (I thought it was MPL only)
                        but I found no hint that Java is GPL...

                      • jedd
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 30, 2009
                          On Fri Jan 30 2009, Erik Krause wrote:
                          > BTW: I stand corrected that Firefox is GPL (I thought it was MPL
                          > only) but I found no hint that Java is GPL...

                          Yeah, Mozilla went the dual-licensing path, which cheered a lot of
                          people up, much like Qt did some years before. Surprisingly it took
                          a long time for the Mozilla crowd to consider this approach despite
                          the handy precedent.

                          Anyhoo, Java went free (in the rms sense) a while back - it's GPL,
                          which is why there's videos from rms and Ebon on the front page
                          (though you can tell the vids were heavily edited by Sun to take
                          out all the comments like 'Why the hell did you take a decade to
                          finally do this you dorks').

                          Mind, there's still edge cases where developers may use certain
                          non-free libraries, and so it becomes a pretty onerous task to sort
                          through all the licences of the various components of the total
                          deliverable package to make sure it's all kosher.

                          I'm still working through Bruno's helpful list of free viewers
                          and trying to work out which is the best bet.

                          J.
                        • Andrey Ilyin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 31, 2009
                            > What sort of viewer do you have in mind? There are standalone,
                            > browser plugin, java and flash viewers.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Bruno

                            Hi Bruno,

                            I think about browser plugin first of all - supporting integration
                            with google services lime google map, youtube etc.

                            Andrey
                          • tksharpless
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Andrey Ilyin" <ilyin1drey@...> wrote:

                              > > What sort of viewer do you have in mind? There are standalone,
                              > > browser plugin, java and flash viewers.
                              > >
                              > > --
                              > > Bruno
                              > >

                              > Hi Bruno,
                              >
                              > I think about browser plugin first of all - supporting integration
                              > with google services lime google map, youtube etc.
                              >
                              > Andrey

                              My "Panini" is a GPL pano viewer that runs on all major platforms
                              (though still problems on Mac, anyone like to help debug?) But it is
                              not (yet) a browser plugin (anyone like to help wioth that, too?).

                              Get id at pvqt.sf.net

                              -- Tom
                            • aiwetir
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
                                what sort of knowledge / equipment would someone need to help you
                                debug ?

                                On 01 Feb 2009, at 14:14, tksharpless wrote:

                                > My "Panini" is a GPL pano viewer that runs on all major platforms
                                > (though still problems on Mac, anyone like to help debug?) But it is
                                > not (yet) a browser plugin (anyone like to help wioth that, too?).
                                >
                                > Get id at pvqt.sf.net
                                >
                                > -- Tom

                              • tksharpless
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:

                                  > On Thu 29-Jan-2009 at 22:01 +0000, Bruno Postle wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > >Both Firefox and Sun Java are GPL licensed. Gnash is a GPL flash
                                  > >viewer, but last time I checked Flash panoramas didn't work in
                                  > >Gnash.
                                  >
                                  > Completing the list of Open Source panorama viewers:
                                  >
                                  > Standalone viewers: panoglview, freepv, panini(pvqt)
                                  > Browser plugin: freepv
                                  > Java applet: ptviewer
                                  > Flash: panosalado
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Bruno

                                  I'd add pvQt (or perhaps even Panini) to the list of open source
                                  browser plugins, if I had the time and skill to write a plugin wrapper
                                  for it. Can anyone help me with this?

                                  -- Tom
                                • Darren
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 27, 2010
                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:

                                    > On Thu 29-Jan-2009 at 22:01 +0000, Bruno Postle wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > >Both Firefox and Sun Java are GPL licensed. Gnash is a GPL flash
                                    > >viewer, but last time I checked Flash panoramas didn't work in
                                    > >Gnash.
                                    >
                                    > Completing the list of Open Source panorama viewers:
                                    >
                                    > Standalone viewers: panoglview, freepv, panini(pvqt)
                                    > Browser plugin: freepv
                                    > Java applet: ptviewer
                                    > Flash: panosalado
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Bruno

                                    I hope that I am not breaking any forum rule by resurrecting this old thread, but as a 'returning newbie' it is relevant to me...

                                    I continue to use good old 'PTViewer' (the standalone viewer) under Linux/Ubuntu, since I have been unable to compile panoglview/freepv/panini and/or find working binaries for them for Linux/Ubuntu (specifically Linux Mint 9).

                                    Can anyone point me to some working binaries?

                                    On a somewhat related point, I was very excited to read about 'panosalado' over the last months, but I am sad that I don't see any tutorials or activity for it. From trial-and-error I have been able to use some version of it, but it would be nice for more. Does anyone have any insider info on when it will progress? AFAIK, it is the *only* free open source modern full-screen web viewer.

                                    Thanks!
                                  • Darren
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 29, 2010
                                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Darren" <darethehair@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > On Thu 29-Jan-2009 at 22:01 +0000, Bruno Postle wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > >Both Firefox and Sun Java are GPL licensed. Gnash is a GPL flash
                                      > > >viewer, but last time I checked Flash panoramas didn't work in
                                      > > >Gnash.
                                      > >
                                      > > Completing the list of Open Source panorama viewers:
                                      > >
                                      > > Standalone viewers: panoglview, freepv, panini(pvqt)
                                      > > Browser plugin: freepv
                                      > > Java applet: ptviewer
                                      > > Flash: panosalado
                                      > >
                                      > > --
                                      > > Bruno
                                      > >

                                      > I hope that I am not breaking any forum rule by resurrecting this old thread, but as a 'returning newbie' it is relevant to me...
                                      >
                                      > I continue to use good old 'PTViewer' (the standalone viewer) under Linux/Ubuntu, since I have been unable to compile panoglview/freepv/panini and/or find working binaries for them for Linux/Ubuntu (specifically Linux Mint 9).
                                      >
                                      > Can anyone point me to some working binaries?
                                      >
                                      > On a somewhat related point, I was very excited to read about 'panosalado' over the last months, but I am sad that I don't see any tutorials or activity for it. From trial-and-error I have been able to use some version of it, but it would be nice for more. Does anyone have any insider info on when it will progress? AFAIK, it is the *only* free open source modern full-screen web viewer.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks!

                                      FYI: I was not able to find a pre-compiled deb package for Panini, but I was able to build from source using info from this page:

                                      http://www.flickr.com/groups/panini/discuss/72157622893257052/

                                      I also continue to search for and/or build Panosalado2, but it sure ain't easy :/
                                    • Darren
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 2 1:38 PM
                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Darren" <darethehair@...> wrote:

                                        > FYI: I was not able to find a pre-compiled deb package for Panini, but I was able to build from source using info from this page:
                                        >
                                        > http://www.flickr.com/groups/panini/discuss/72157622893257052/
                                        >
                                        > I also continue to search for and/or build Panosalado2, but it sure ain't easy :/

                                        FYI: I have now stumbled across a Linux 'deb' package of 'panoglview' which seems to work just fine:

                                        http://www.tatteredmoons.org/hugin/deb/ubuntu/10.04/panoglview_hg-20100728-1_i386.deb

                                        I assume that there are other Linux folks out there in this group :)