Re: Opera is annoying was: Re: "From a tower, without the tower"

  • Jeffrey Martin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
      Ok,

      My colleague Jamie has addressed the Opera issues. these problems are fixed
      now (apart from one little one, the flickering shadow below the header on
      the image page) - they were as follows:

      JQuery miscalculates the height of an element using the standard .height()
      call, so I use the logic:
      if( jQuery.browser.opera && jQuery.browser.version >= 9.50 )
      {
      var winHeight = window.innerHeight;
      }else{
      var winHeight = $window.height();
      }

      When setting the id of the body tag in javascript using jquery, you must use
      double quotes, e.g.
      $('body').attr("id","image");
      I was using single quotes ...

      I also removed the noConflict() call on the home pages (image/home/business
      etc) as we are not using prototype here - so any opera related issues
      originating from this (apparently there are many) should also now be
      resolved.

      Jamie says:
      "Hope this makes our Opera viewers happy, and I agree, Opera has come a long
      way in recent years, I am warming to it."

      If any other issues appear or remain unresolved, please do send me an email
      off-list. Opera is now on our list of happily supported browsers. Just some
      small quirks. IE remains on my voodoo death-list of rage, however ;-))))

      Jeffrey Martin
      tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

      On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Jeffrey Martin <360cities@...> wrote:

      > Opera - Thanks for everyone's comments.We'll get the site running smoothly
      > in opera. Give us a few days please :) I agree, my complaints were made
      > rather out of ignorance, I realize that the user base of Opera might be
      > small but should not be dismissed, I stand corrected. I will try Opera
      > (again) myself, and be sure that our site works just fine on it. Thanks
      > Bjorn for starting this conversation, and bringing me around.
      >

      > Hans, thanks for your critique ;-)
      >
      > I haven't had any experience with FF or Safari freezing, or taking anything
      > but a few seconds to load any page or any pano. We have tested it thoroughly
      > across browsers and platforms (opera excluded, hahaha). So I can't really
      > take your comment seriously unless you can give me more information, if you
      > can tell me any more (off list) I'd really appreciate it.
      >
      > As for the layout - sorry but the VR world has to move past the "single
      > fullscreen image with no options" of 5 years ago. (and if you still want
      > that, we have a button for that: controls on/off) While this new pano
      > layout might not be perfect, yours is the first really negative review of
      > our new pano layout - most people I've shown found it really exciting in
      > fact.
      >
      > Again, if you have any SUGGESTIONS on how we can improve it, I'm all ears
      > ;-) Perhaps hotspots should be turned off by default, for example? There are
      > other minor changes that I've noted, that I would like to make, I have them
      > on a list, but we are very busy and can't do everything at once ;)) The
      > google map? we didn't have it for a while, and it's one thing I missed. the
      > image is great to see, but knowing WHERE it is, well, that's great to have.
      > Again, if you don't want to see it, turn it off :)
      >
      > thanks everybody,
      > Jeffrey

    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
        Sometime around 7/1/09 (at 12:35 +0100) Jeffrey Martin said:

        >IE remains on my voodoo death-list of rage, however ;-))))

        Worst. Browser. Ever.

        :-)