Re: [PanoToolsNG] Copyright question

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
      On Tue, January 6, 2009 6:55 am, crane@... wrote:
      > Quoting Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...>:
      >
      >> There are plenty of resources on the Web on this issue - derivative
      >> rights
      >> have been testing a lot in the past decade or two. Here's a decent
      >> breakdown of these issues:
      >>
      >> http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/derivative-work.html
      >

      > eh ?
      > A translation of a work into a new medium, such as a written work into an
      > audio book
      >
      > so I can take any novel/play and make a film from it ?

      If it's public domain, sure - and making a film or play from a public
      domain novel *would* create new derivative rights since there's
      considerable creative/adaptation involved in that process - this happens
      all the time (you don't think the producers of the awful Beowulf film a
      few years ago had to pay royalties to the author?). However, converting a
      public domain novel to an e-text - which is just a slavish/mechanical
      conversion - would not provide new derivative rights... even if you
      corrected some spelling errors from the original (which is in the abstract
      comparable to cleaning up dust, seams, etc, in an original photo).
    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
        Quoting Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...>:

        > considerable creative/adaptation involved in that process - this happens
        > all the time (you don't think the producers of the awful Beowulf film a
        > few years ago had to pay royalties to the author?).

        There was a Beowulf novel from the viewpoint of the monster I was trying to
        push as a film about 30 years ago. hope it's not that !!

        mick