Opera is annoying was: Re: "From a tower, without the tower"

  • fierodeval
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
      I think Opera is one of the best browsers now. The problem is that
      very few people uses Opera. Anyway, Opera has a stable amount of fans,
      at least in East Europe (russian people loves Opera :)

      I found very small differences in my works with HTML+CSS+Javascript
      between the code for Firefox and for Opera. Maybe you can do it "Opera
      ready" with some small fix.

      regards!

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Phooooey!!!!
      > >
      > > Opera is so annoying. Even Chrome now has more users than Opera.
      Yeah it's a
      > > cool browser and all, why can't they use a proper html renderer? After
      > > fixing a site for the total ABOMINATION that is IE6, we don't have the
      > > energy to fix it for Opera. There are a million better things to
      do. Why
      > > can't it "just work" like it does in Safari and Firefox? But ok,
      1% of our
      > > users today is a lot more than it used to be. You have me
      convinced, we'll
      > > work on it....
      >
      > I have not tried Opera for years as the Mac version was so extremely
      slow.

      > So I just downloaded it on my G5 and got a real surprise.
      > This is the best browser I have tried until now,
      > It uses much less memory than Safari and also the CPU usage for
      flash is 50% lower.

      > It really has a lot of very nice options, I love the fullscreen
      option which is better than any
      > other browser. Rendering normal webpages is extremelly fast, and I
      have full control on
      > my cache in the pref. which no other browsers have.
      > All my pages work perfect without using special workarounds as you
      have to do both with
      > IE and Firefox.
      >
      > The big surprise is that Flash now works opposite as Firefox and Safari.
      > Framerate in a fullsize browser window is now 10 but only 6 in Flash
      fullscreen and with
      > only 85-100% CPU
      > In Safari and Firefox I have 130-150% CPU and I can only get FPS 5
      in browser and 8-9 in
      > fullscreen.
      >
      > Besides the size problem this is the first time I can use 360 cities
      new, in my opinion very
      > ugly and confusing flash interface. Safari and Firefox are just
      freezing. There is to much
      > inside the flash content with all hotspots and the Google map.
      > In Safari and Firefox it takes often 1 minute before I see anything
      at all of the panorama.
      > If it even shows up. Sometimes I just see a blue empty space.
      >
      > I have not checked the CSS but the problem with 360 cities might be
      this:
      > "Nested box bug - The height of an element is computed incorrectly
      if set as a percentage
      > and it's container has any vertical border/padding."
      >
      > Hans

    • aiwetir
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
        if you write you page to web standards, opera renders just fine,
        firefox 3 has more issues than opera.
      • Bjørn K Nilssen
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
          On 6 Jan 2009 at 12:33, aiwetir wrote:

          > if you write you page to web standards, opera renders just fine,
          > firefox 3 has more issues than opera.

          I'm totally addicted to the mouse gestures in Opera, which makes life much easier and
          browsing much faster.
          There is apparently some places where Opera uses
          window.innerheight and window.innerwidth where others may use
          just window.height and .width which may cause some problems in scripts?

        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
            On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 02:34:39 +0900, fierodeval <fierodeval@...>
            wrote:

            > I think Opera is one of the best browsers now. The problem is that
            > very few people uses Opera. Anyway, Opera has a stable amount of fans,
            > at least in East Europe (russian people loves Opera :)

            I agree with you, and was sad to see such an out-of-hand condemnation
            of Opera. Although the browser itself is by far my favourite, I would
            stay with it just for the unique and uniquely convenient mail client,
            which now offers synchronization across multiple computers.

            I guess I feel rather like MAC users who are sometimes condemned as a
            minority with no rights to be treated as well as the industry leader.
            It is not a pleasant feeling.

            Roger W.

            --
            Work: www.adex-japan.com
          • Juergen Schrader
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
              Another satisfied Opera user here. :)

              I am using it for years now and only had very few issues.
              One was an error inside the admin panel of Joomla which randomly also
              happened to occur in other browser, one is a layout issue on
              worldpanoramastock.com and the biggest one is with 360cities.net
              which appears to be unusable with Opera. Frontend and backend either.

              Looking at the features of Opera 10 I already know it will stay as my
              standard browser in the near future. :)

              For those people using fancy features or improper code I have Firefox
              and IE at hand to see which works better on their sites ;)

              Cheers
              Juergen

              wrote:

              > Phooooey!!!!
              >
              > Opera is so annoying. Even Chrome now has more users than Opera.
              Yeah it's a
              > cool browser and all, why can't they use a proper html renderer?
              After
              > fixing a site for the total ABOMINATION that is IE6, we don't have
              the
              > energy to fix it for Opera. There are a million better things to
              do. Why
              > can't it "just work" like it does in Safari and Firefox? But ok, 1%
              of our
              > users today is a lot more than it used to be. You have me
              convinced, we'll
              > work on it....
              >
              > :-PPPPPP
              >

              > Jeffrey Martin
              > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
              > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin
              >

              > Re: "From a tower, without the tower"
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/
              message/25718;_ylc=X3oDMTJzZDE3NnBxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyNTcxOARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjMxMjM1ODU3>
              > Posted
              > by: "Bjørn K Nilssen" bk@...
              > <bk@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20%22From%20a%20tower%2C%20without%20the
              %20tower%22>
              > bknilssen
              > <http://profiles.yahoo.com/bknilssen> Tue Jan 6, 2009 12:33 am
              (PST) On 6
              > Jan 2009 at 0:38, Jeffrey Martin wrote:
              >
              > > another one of those fun "from the top of the building, without
              the
              > > building" panos... chicago in winter (2007) just finished....
              > > http://360cities.net/image/hancock-center-building-chicago-skyline
              > >
              > > Jeffrey
              >
              > Nice work - in Firefox.
              > Unfortunately the entire 360cities seems to look not good in Opera
              (my
              > preferred
              > browser), at least on my PC..
              > The main/top pano ends up as a strange looking banner/header band
              at the
              > top, slightly
              > lower than the map, which is cut off a little at the top..
              > Ir doesn't look good, I'm afraid.

            • Andrey Ilyin
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                Opera is the best!

                Beseies the Opera I have a lot of browsers installed, including FF,
                IE, Chrome and Safafi. Use them to browse sites not meeting the
                standards ;)
              • Jeffrey Martin
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                  Ok,

                  My colleague Jamie has addressed the Opera issues. these problems are fixed
                  now (apart from one little one, the flickering shadow below the header on
                  the image page) - they were as follows:

                  JQuery miscalculates the height of an element using the standard .height()
                  call, so I use the logic:
                  if( jQuery.browser.opera && jQuery.browser.version >= 9.50 )
                  {
                  var winHeight = window.innerHeight;
                  }else{
                  var winHeight = $window.height();
                  }

                  When setting the id of the body tag in javascript using jquery, you must use
                  double quotes, e.g.
                  $('body').attr("id","image");
                  I was using single quotes ...

                  I also removed the noConflict() call on the home pages (image/home/business
                  etc) as we are not using prototype here - so any opera related issues
                  originating from this (apparently there are many) should also now be
                  resolved.

                  Jamie says:
                  "Hope this makes our Opera viewers happy, and I agree, Opera has come a long
                  way in recent years, I am warming to it."

                  If any other issues appear or remain unresolved, please do send me an email
                  off-list. Opera is now on our list of happily supported browsers. Just some
                  small quirks. IE remains on my voodoo death-list of rage, however ;-))))

                  Jeffrey Martin

                  On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Jeffrey Martin <360cities@...> wrote:

                  > Opera - Thanks for everyone's comments.We'll get the site running smoothly
                  > in opera. Give us a few days please :) I agree, my complaints were made
                  > rather out of ignorance, I realize that the user base of Opera might be
                  > small but should not be dismissed, I stand corrected. I will try Opera
                  > (again) myself, and be sure that our site works just fine on it. Thanks
                  > Bjorn for starting this conversation, and bringing me around.
                  >

                  > Hans, thanks for your critique ;-)
                  >
                  > I haven't had any experience with FF or Safari freezing, or taking anything
                  > but a few seconds to load any page or any pano. We have tested it thoroughly
                  > across browsers and platforms (opera excluded, hahaha). So I can't really
                  > take your comment seriously unless you can give me more information, if you
                  > can tell me any more (off list) I'd really appreciate it.
                  >
                  > As for the layout - sorry but the VR world has to move past the "single
                  > fullscreen image with no options" of 5 years ago. (and if you still want
                  > that, we have a button for that: controls on/off) While this new pano
                  > layout might not be perfect, yours is the first really negative review of
                  > our new pano layout - most people I've shown found it really exciting in
                  > fact.
                  >
                  > Again, if you have any SUGGESTIONS on how we can improve it, I'm all ears
                  > ;-) Perhaps hotspots should be turned off by default, for example? There are
                  > other minor changes that I've noted, that I would like to make, I have them
                  > on a list, but we are very busy and can't do everything at once ;)) The
                  > google map? we didn't have it for a while, and it's one thing I missed. the
                  > image is great to see, but knowing WHERE it is, well, that's great to have.
                  > Again, if you don't want to see it, turn it off :)
                  >
                  > thanks everybody,
                  > Jeffrey

                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                    Sometime around 7/1/09 (at 12:35 +0100) Jeffrey Martin said:

                    >IE remains on my voodoo death-list of rage, however ;-))))

                    Worst. Browser. Ever.

                    :-)